Does anyone carry?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Mathews1995, Aug 7, 2014.

1. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

That might be a little out of my price range this year . If me or the bull ain't dead yet , I'll have to look into that next year :lol:

2. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Might not be easy to conceal but this might take care of the bull ha.

Taurus Judge

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

3. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

It'd be a lot easier to conceal that then the 44 I rifle hunt with . Reminds me though , I seen an add for a pistol that looked similar to that one today but it shot 460 , 454 , or 45 long colt rounds .

4. avant

avant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Conceal every day and everywhere except inside the office.

5. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea this one shoots .410 shot shells an .45 colt. My buddy has one actually it's not all that fun to shoot ha.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

6. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty sure smith and Wesson has had a 50 caliber revolver for years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Pete

Pete Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Can't carry while bow hunting here in CT either.

8. Jtrump

Jtrump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also illegal to carry here in Florida why hunting. Not sure the reason, but my CWP doesn't say anything about me having it in the woods concealed, So I will go by that. I feel better having a full size 1911 .45acp with some 200grain +p rounds on my hip.

9. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Feel sorry for all of you that feel or have the need to carry when out bow hunting.

Different country, different customs I guess.

I bow hunt bears and moose, always from the ground always at close range in an area with lots of bears and lots of wolves and the odd ''pot grower'' as well.

Only thing I'm packing outside my bow is a good DSLR camera...
    Just never know when you're gonna need it!

10. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    don't know if you read the whole story or not, but those growers were armed and ran from the police. Not so sure they would have run from a guy w/ a bow and arrow. And had it been a meth lab, I'm almost positive they would not have run away from a lone hunter with just a bow.

also; many of us who carry don't do so out of a specific need. It is because we choose to exercise our natural born right to do so. No "need" for you to feel sorry about us!

11. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Tynimiller, just so you Open carry is legal in Missouri except where banned by certain municipalities.
    I had a guy take a class last week for the sole purpose of being able to carry while bow hunting.

And if you don't mind me asking what instructor did you go with?
    I had some correspondence with some of the instructors up north when I was getting setup.

12. NHBowHnter

NHBowHnter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    S&W Sigma .40 everytime i go out. Have CCW permit too.. Don't need it for NH. Open carry is legal here.

13. MTSCMike

MTSCMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You are the Man! Hunting and sharing the area with all those dangerous critters all the while carrying nothing but a point-and-shoot and a sharp stick. Chuck Norris would be impressed.

You are correct about different countries but not about the "customs" part. Customs are things like celebrating Independence on the 4th of July or President's Day or Thanksgiving. In our country we are called "citizens" or "the people" instead of "subjects" like someone would be called in a country with a King or Queen as the supreme ruler. In the United States we are endowed by our Creator (not our rulers) with certain rights. But even our Constitution (written by representatives of "the people") affirms our right to keep and bear arms for the defense of ourselves, our fellow citizens and our country if need be.

All any person actually "needs" is food, water and shelter. All else falls under the "wants and desires" heading. I carry when I want to because I have that right and because I never will know for sure when I "need" to. I hope the need never arises but if it does I don't want to be standing there with only a camera and a pointy stick.

Of course if I lived in a country where such rights had been stripped from me by my ruler(s) and I didn't even have the option available I might be inclined to convince myself that I never needed that right in the first place. That is why the United States exists...we weren't willing to put up with that crap.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  14. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Thanks for the free and unnecessary lesson in anthropology and the somewhat condescending remarks...

I am quite aware of the literal definition of ''customs'', having worked not only in all corners of Canada, but also in the United States, Venezuela, Peru, Brazil, Cameroon, Australia, England and Norway.
    I am also aware of the Second Amendment and respect it.

As for those ''dangerous critters'', in North America unless you are in Grizzly or Polar Bear country, fear is based on ignorance of animal behavior.

For the ''Pot growers'' at least where I leave, most of them are non-violent just looking to supplement their income or have their own supply.
    The others, are normally run or at least supervised by organized groups like (.....) and for these people, if you are just a hunter minding your own business, they will not care about you or even threaten you. If you intend to mess with their business then it is a different story, and their reputation is enough to prevent people with half a brain from doing so.

I grew up and still live in a very safe place, but also travelled and worked in very dangerous places.

I've been enjoying the woods, hunting, trapping, or just walking with a camera for over 30 years now and it's the safest place I ever felt I was in.

Sorry for ''sidetracking'' the initial post...

15. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    excerpt from a much longer prayer:

"....let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun'...."

given the current tide of pro-gun court decisions, I suspect that successful court challenges will be made in those states who prohibit carry while bow hunting. If one has the right to defend oneself in a public place (we do- the SCOTUS said so) and said person meets all other state-mandated criteria, there is no legal basis to deny that right just because one wants to sit in the woods 15' up in a tree.

If you're a poacher, you're not likely to obey any of those laws anyway; so there goes that excuse.

16. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my first year carrying while bowhunting. it's legal in PA with a permit. I have a Ruger LCP .380 that is small enough to carry everywhere.

17. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I'm awake and not on campus, I have my pistol on me. If I'm on campus, my pistol is in my truck :tu:

18. DJinNC

DJinNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know they say Coyotes don't hunt in packs or people..... but they are in new habitat east of the Mississippi now and animals frequently take on new habits when adapting to new habitats. Science says they are bigger east, they are taking on larger animals more often and I am here to say they pack up!!!!!! I got caught once with only a bow and a knife and I KNOW I was surrounded by 'yotes and they were stalking me EXACTLY like wolves. Out of sight, but closing. I was about 100 yards from my truck, hit the panic button and A LOT more 'yotes than I was aware of took off running. NEVER again.

19. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We have issues with the Hmong's coming thru in groups while we are bow hunting and they don't understand private property. My father chased them off more than once as they got within 75 yards of his house. What did he get in return? Gunfire right over his head. This is why I started carrying while bow hunting. I was cornered for 50 minutes 2 years ago as they came thru dressed in all black and was scared to move. The local sheriff has had so many complaints they don't even come out when called anymore. This is in central WI.

20. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Was this in Wausau?