Who's working on fall plots today?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by C0wb0yChris, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I thought about that. Just worried that I might burn more than I intended to :lol:.

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Leave it there. It will work as a barrier to protect the natural moisture in the ground. You ever see a landscaper spread hay/straw around on the ground after seeding? That's why.......

3. Swampthing

Dislikes Received:
    I know what you're saying. I was just afraid I wouldn't get good seed-to-soil contact with that much dead grass/weed on top.

4. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on what you are seeding. If you are using something small in size like a brassica/clover/chicory just overseed a bit and you will be amazed how well it will work.

5. Swampthing

Dislikes Received:
    Brassica/clover/chicory mix is what I was leaning towards. Thanks for the suggestions.

Would you disc up the top 2 or 3 inches of soil or just leave everything as is and overseed a bit?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  6. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just finished ~1 acre of Raxx Factor, plus added some turnips on the side. I have one small area left beside my beans (ran out of beans) that I'm thinking of adding something to. Not sure what though.

7. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Haha that is always a concern of mine! I usually try to do it before a good rain is on the horizon. When we were in a drought 2011-2013 I did not use this method or I'd have burned the woods down!

8. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    I'm pumped! I planted yesterday, did a healthy drag afterwards to get the seeds covered and overnight we got 9/10" of an inch of slow steady soaking rain! We've got a chance for thunderstorms through the weekend, so hopefully I can get a bit more moisture added to that 9/10"

9. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good deal! We hadn't had a rain here since early July and that was only .3". Late yesterday /overnight we had 3.7" and man did we need it. I had beans burning and milo flaring at the bottom. Food plots I planted here a couple weeks ago, a bean here and there came up and got mowed off as soon as they emerged by deer. Even in spite of having 45 acres of double crop beans right next to them and corn across the fence.

10. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Checked on my brassicas plots and bean plots, they are all coming up well, we got a hefty rain last week right after I planted and all sun this week. I'm going to fertilize the plots next weekend. I have one more brassicas plot to plant this week :D can't wait!

11. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Just planted some Shotplot into two plots that had cowpeas in them. Those peas look like they added a lot of organic matter to the soil after they were tilled in.

12. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I finished planting and fertilizing the last of my brassica plots

Had to use the ole BMW to haul all the stuff to my upper fields haha there was way to much to carry
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I planted last Wednesday...and that night we had the previously mentioned 9/10" and yesterday we got a nice 1.4" downpour over the course of about an hour. I'm thinking I should see germination by Monday or Tuesday?

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Planted the winter peas and radishes yesterday got allot of the fence installed 7' fence around the plot the deer can have it all in 80 days

15. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My two plots I planted a while back here at home are finally coming up after the incredible rain we had on the 6th. They should be incredible at the start of bow season from the mix I put in there, we'll see.

16. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We could still use some rain at our place seems like everything just kind of skirts around us. I went down and spot srayed some things we missed when we sprayed last week. Everything should be good to go for our labor day weekend planting.

17. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Any update on this?

18. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    I went out on Saturday. After about 15 minutes the 2" receiver hitch I bought bent. I quit before I bent the frame on the ATV.

I called the manufacturer of the receiver and he said that the Grizzly's in particular have a hard time with a receiver that is capable of handling the Groundhog Max. He has a separate receiver design that apparently holds up well for the Grizzly and Groundhog Max and is sending one to me this week.

I'll be back after it on Saturday with hopefully better results. I can say that the part of the plot I was working that was previously sprayed with Gly and already dead turned over like a dream. I could have turned the entire half acre or so size plot in maybe half an hour. It worked better than I've ever seen even a full size disc do. I'm not exaggerating when I say this, but the faster I went the better it turned and If I was going 10mph or so, there was literally a 3-4' roostertail of dirt behind me.

This little disc works really well, so I'm hopeful that the new receiver holds up. From what I've read other ATV's have a little better system to mount a 2" receiver. If you are going to use a Grizzly with this disc make sure you are using a receiver from ATV HITCH - Heavy Duty Receiver systems

19. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Finally done. Last Heart Beat and Monster Raxx clover. Looking forward to seeing the results.

20. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    It's been a week since I planted...that rain came at the right time after I planted
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]