If you found out today with 100% certainty there was no afterlife or......

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by virginiashadow, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can you answer my questions please.

2. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Page 1, 3rd comment.

3. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So you would still pray regularly? Go to church?

4. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One day I'm going to make a canned statement quoting things like evolution and darwinism in an effort to act more like a Christian. I don't know why so many have to start proselytizing.

As for "truth doesn't change because someone wants to believe it or not" you're right. It doesn't.

5. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    I would still worship the True and Living God, yes. I would still live my life as I was giving an account of every thought and action that came from me.

6. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Correct, but as I already explained, my religion is true and yours isn't. I know that for a fact.

7. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting.

Can you expound on this?

Remember we are thinking under the scenario that the "True and Living God" has been 100% proven to be false.

8. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Because that is how I would like to conduct my life. As if I was giving a report on everything I have done. I would teach my kids the same way.

9. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't understand the statement "as if I was giving a report on everything I have done"? Can you explain a little further. I'm just curious.

10. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

BOWHUNTANDLIVE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have never been a "religious" man....the reasons for that arent pertainent to the thread...but I wil say that because I do currently fear God, it leads me to be an honest and moral person...to the best of my ability...however non posse ...non peccare.... I cant not sin.....but I try to be a good person whether I found out God exists or He doesnt...be a good dude!!! or dudette....

11. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty myopic.

Not to be confused with apology. :rolleyes:

12. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty myopic are those comments from people talking about their God Is the only one true god and all other religions are wrong. I actually feel like I'm listening to a Muslim prayer...you know that terrorist religion that is based on violence

13. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Chopayne in all seriousness if one holds to a faith and shares it when prompted or when a dialogue occurs why the slighted (hidden in respectful undertones at times) comments back to them?

If one holds to the belief in the Creator described in the true word of God (that book called the Bible)...then of course that person believes they worship the One True God and that other religions are misguided and wrong? If they didn't they wouldn't be a Christian now would they? Or if they admitted that they believe the Bible is correct but won't cast judgement on other religions when asked...they would be viewed as weak in their faith or beliefs....so either way they will be feasted on.

I do get it though because Christians just like some hunters to anti's or republicans to democrats or players to umpires go about their delivery disrespectfully or in a way which is condescending. Entirely the wrong approach at all times.

However, if someone is honest and answers questions or adds to a dialogue respectfully there is no reason to make the connection to or call someone myopic (intolerant...shortsighted...narrow minded).

14. sachiko

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to start proselytizing, you know, trying to convert people to my religion. It's kind of neat because you don't get punished if you don't believe. I think that's a real plus.

I wouldn't change my life if I were 100% certain that there is no God or afterlife, because I strive to live in a way that my ancestors would approve, not because I'm afraid of God.

My main failing is probably that I am not as respectful of my elders as they would expect me to be. But I hope they would understand that it is sometimes very difficult in some situations.

15. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to put a spell on half of you, I just haven't decided if I should put it on the believers or the non believers, decisions.... decisions......

16. sachiko

Dislikes Received:
    You can do both if you like. I know a ritual that can deal with it so I'm not worried.

17. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    tynimiller, no one was asking someone to share their faith in this thread. I've seen so many posts preaching, proselytizing, quoting from the bible when the question asked a totally different question.

You're totally correct in your statements, I didn't see it that way, about someone being viewed as weak. Would other Christians jump on the person though? I doubt another Christian would call that person weak. I just find it hard to think that someone can't entertain the thought of no God. In my mind, it's like you guys are refusing to entertain that possibility, not that you can't. I don't know why, its a theoretical question.

Thanks for pointing out that my comment isn't in the best undertones, I have a bad habit of making snarky comments online at times and i've been trying to change it. Sorry if I offended anyone with that comment.

I swear that my grammar is getting worse the more I write online.

18. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't change the way I live my life either. I don't take too dangerous of risks, and I don't live my life to hurt others. I live a life more moral than most Christians that I know. If there were a God, I assume i'd act a bit differently like praying more and going to church, but at the same time, there would be no point. Since he is God, he would realize that i'm faking all this to get into heaven.

19. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^^true statement about the grammar item...online does not help for sure!

I truly do feel the largest issue with many Christians "refusing" to answer is due to the fact it would be viewed by some and perhaps even internally within themselves as questioning the God they claim to follow or like I touched on weakness in their faith.

That could be caused by self doubt already present, past conversations they may have had with others either in person or online....or they simply are turned off or truly do refuse to even think of a world without the Creator (hypothetical or not).

If someone or something or some event proved to you without a shadow of a doubt that God existed would you change? If so how would you go about answering this hypothetical situation? (talk about a double deep hypothetical situation)

20. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And what a few of you are doing is not proselytizing for atheism?