If you found out today with 100% certainty there was no afterlife or......

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by virginiashadow, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will debate with anyone who has a valid thought out counterpoint. But when someone speaks of that which they know not, that is not a debate.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Different religious and cultural perspective than what you have been exposed to....think about it

3. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:

See, even you speak of that which you nothing of. I've been to 36 countries and spent a good portion of my career in Asia living the Korean, Japanese, and Chinese lifestyles with education in their customs, religions and history. When you're equally qualified, come on back.

4. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With that, I'm done with _________________!

5. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I never said you should have to, I was explaining to you what IV was asking you to do. He is asking you to defend your position...not me.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Did you join a military in a country that had members that would willingly fly airplanes into ships and the pilots death would bring glory to the surviving family members? Nope so you can not claim to truly understand the culture because you were never asked and did not serve with that mentality

7. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I understand. I hope you understand that I don't believe I posted anything that should require defending or for which I should apologize. I thought his demand that I apologize without even explaining why he was offended was unspeakably rude. I was happy to explain what I posted. If his feelings were still hurt somehow, that's on him, not on me. I still question whether men would be as willing to go into combat and risk losing their lives if they were 100% certain that this is all there is, no Valhalla. But I could be wrong.

8. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Sigh....

9. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll second that...

10. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So if anyone is still reading, I should clarify once again, my "weaker" statement was not stating that religious people are weak. Only that there are some people who are emotionally and spiritually weak that need religion. I understand that the majority, if not all of you jumped to the conclusion that I was slamming people of faith. I was not. Please understand that I am not a religion hater.

Im only repeating myself as I received another PM about it, which probably means tons more read it, and interpreted it the same way.

11. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Id have to agree with you sachiko. Though many atheists join up for one reason or another, but I think there would be many (of all people's) who would not go fight and possibly die in whatever endeavor they take. Some people need that comfort that there is something after death.

12. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Well you won't believe me, but though those wars weren't motivated by religion, people sure took comfort in religion and oftentimes justified it through religion. Korean War? Definitely about stopping those Godless communists, same with Vietnam. Religion was also the catalyst during our Manifest Destiny, same with the Crusades, 30 years wars, IRA troubles, and many other wars. Hitler was religious, he believe in that crazy naturistic paganism Christianity hybrid mix. Alexander the Great and many of those others prayed to the Gods, sacrificed for the Gods, put up War Gods. In many of your examples though religion may not have been the catalyst as would come later with the Moors, Muslims, Christians, etc but religion played a huge factor.

13. ChuckECheese

ChuckECheese Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Please look up "Apologetics". He is NOT asking you to say you are sorry. He is not offended.

14. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So what did we learn from this thread?

15. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Common Core is bad and should be abolished. Also the price of gas is going down.

16. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Only way that would be possible is if the Creator of the world around me, that which I see, feel and breathe each and every day tells me He is not real...see what I did there?

In all seriousness though if someone truly believes in their Creator (using the Christian belief that I hold to) one does not simply prove to them by any means the creator does not exist. Only the Creator could tell you He doesn't exist, but in doing so proves He does.

The best way I can answer the question is this: Even without the biggest facet of my life, God, I would hope (I wanted to say pray but didn't due to question) I would still make the moral upright decisions I strive to do so each and every day of my life. Would I succeed, probably not...but I don't now despite knowing God due to the fact I'm a sinful man incapable of 100% perfection....

....but the strive for that perfection is there. So to expand my thoughts to all that I read I would state if you believe in God, you MUST believe you are weak. Because knowing and understanding God fully proves without a shadow of a doubt we are weak, and capable of nothing without Him. We love only because He loved us first, we do good only because He was good first....we draw breath only because he breathed into us first. So while the "weak" thing has been retracted and re-phrased...I believe it was 100% accurate.

I am weak, extremely weak actually and incapable of making positive changes in this life myself. Only God can make changes and I pray that I may be used as a tool by Him when applicable, not because I add anything to His ability but merely by chance my life can be used by Him.

**I would also remind all entering debates of this such, both sides do nothing for their views when looking down on others...as if your above them...especially if you hold to the Christian faith. Because if you do, you will realize if you are looking down it in a mirror to yourself...look beside you because that is where everyone is, for we are all sinners and fall short of the glory of God....knowing and having a relationship with Him makes you no better.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  17. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I find it incredibly annoying how the religious people completely dismissed this hypothetical with the "it's impossible to disprove so I cannot answer the question"

18. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I did in a way still: The best way I can answer the question is this: Even without the biggest facet of my life, God, I would hope (I wanted to say pray but didn't due to question) I would still make the moral upright decisions I strive to do so each and every day of my life. Would I succeed, probably not...but I don't now despite knowing God due to the fact I'm a sinful man incapable of 100% perfection....

I admitted I'd be less of a good man seeing as how God is a big part of my decisions...I would still hope to strive for same values or virtues but honestly unless lived I cannot state for sure.

Sorry my response annoyed ya.

19. ChuckECheese

ChuckECheese Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It's an impossible scenario. If anything is annoying it is that. You really despise people of faith, don't you?

20. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nah, wasn't to you really, you answered pretty well