If you found out today with 100% certainty there was no afterlife or......

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by virginiashadow, Jul 25, 2014.

1. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your point is that without religion the basic morals that people live by would no longer apply. Your opening statement was everybody that believes in God that found out it wasn't true would lose total faith and a reason to live turning to crazies and killers. Yes some do need religion but to say they will lose all faith and sensibility because they find out its not true is ridiculous. Do people lose the understanding of Christmas when they find out Santa Claus isn't real? Most of the people your describing that really need religion to function are also using that as a crutch, and if they need something like religion, god, or the afterlife to keep from losing all faith in their own life or meaning then they will just find something else to fill that void. People lose faith in religion all the time and have productive meaningful lives.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  2. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I actually never said anything of that sort. You and many others interpreted it that way, you guys saw what you wanted to see because it was coming from a non-christian. Re read that original post. I should have definitely added another sentence in, when I wrote "weaker" but I thought the quotes would've sent the correct message. Obviously I should've been more clear as I was allowing that sentence to be interpreted by the masses, and not a simple 1 on 1 where it would've been correctly interpreted.

3. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think religion is necessarily required. I was not raised Christian and really knew very little about it. I was raised in a different religion and my mother taught me right and wrong based on the traditions or our ancestors.

Many of these precepts can also be found in the Bible, but Christians don't necessarily adhere to them.

4. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:

Here little buddy, what sentence would you add to the top quoted part to not make it seem with no religion there would be evil and chaos. Then you go onto to say people need religion to have meaning in life, but we'll take baby steps.

And for the record I could care less if your a Christian or whatever, I've never attended church.

5. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Hey there I honestly can't reason with you anymore. I told you certain people who found out that there were no God, would go crazy. But hey! seems like you can't read or comprehend.

6. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    There are many atheistic, polytheistic, whatever buddhism and shintoism is, people do just fine. Despite what Phil from Duck Dynasty states.

7. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I figured, you really can't make a point and stick with it on anything else. You went from mass chaos to only a certain few.

8. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    God....please let hunting season start. PLEASE

9. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    I figure it wasn't just a few who caused mass chaos in the world was it? Hitler? Stalin? No, it was always the majority wasn't it? Figured you wouldn't make that connection.

10. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was raised in a family that was atheist. I was raised to do right by my fellow man and to work hard. My parents grew up with religion and went to church but left their faiths for some reason. We were raised to believe evolution was legit. I can honestly say I have been in a church less than 20 times in my life so the question for me would really be what i would do if there was proof God existed.

11. chopayne

Dislikes Received:

Here you go Jrk. Slightly off topic, but also a good video

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  12. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A lunatic will howl at the moon whether he believes in a higher power or not. To suggest that a mentally ill person would be less affected by mental illness if he is atheistic is ill thought out.

13. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Top Five in history:

1. Genghis Khan (was not a majority)
    2. Alexander the Great (not a majority but offered life to conquered people who joined him)
    3. Tamelane aka Timbur (not a majority)
    4. Cyrus the Great (not a majority)
    5. Attila the Hun (not a majority - used psychological warfare to defeat many of his opponents)

14. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    I hope you saw that I was being sarcastic when I wrote the comment about the Majority, which is also why I linked that video. Which is a great video! Can you link your website? Whenever I look up online, I always find Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, King of Belguim, and Mao.

Ive never seen your list, but id like to read about them and their numbers. It's always crazy to see how they were able to be responsible for so many millions of deaths.

15. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  16. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Weren't them guys in the Beatles or something?

Your focusing on the wrong part, I agreed long time ago that yes certain people it will effect. The question that you've yet to answer between all your comments is do you really think the belief in a god or a afterlife is what is really keeping all these people, (criminals, depressed, and crazies) from going over the edge. The existence of God or a afterlife aren't going to make people throw the morales and principles out that religion teaches you on how to act or treat other people.

But yes I know for some it will, if that's the only point you were trying to make then you babbled on for no reason.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2014
  17. scottmills

scottmills Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks to me theres a few folks on here that need born again through and by the blood of jesus christ my savior ! Nuff said !

18. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I rolled joint with a bible page before...

19. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Religion is such a fascinating part of human life. I can understand someone not being a Christian or a Jew or a Muslim, Buddhist.etc..

But I never understand how a rational and logical person doesn't believe that there is some type of God that created the Earth and life. Sure, I can't answer who made God anymore than an atheist can explain who made the gases and the explosion out of nothing. It is easier for me to rationalize the presence of a supreme being as opposed to believing something was created from nothing....the belief in some God is more intelligent and logical to me.

As far as the question....I have many atheist and agnostic friends who live moral and just lives without religion. Not sure there is a huge difference in the number of "good" people that are religious vs non- religious. I think there is an inherent instinct in us that we call a "moral compass" that we all know regardless of what we believe or how well we act upon it.

I am a Christian but not a very good one. I not sure that I would act any better or worse regardless of any additional spiritual enlightenment.

20. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think if we were 100% certain that there is no afterlife, it might make war less popular.