What do you do if/when you find gear on your property.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ruck139, Jul 16, 2014.

1. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To change up the thread about having your stuff stolen, I got to thinking. What do you guys do when you find gear on your land, or land where you have sole permission, gear that obviously belongs to a trespasser?
    I have, in the past, taken it. In it's place I left a note. "You are trespassing on posted property, therefore, I took your stuff. Call me at ##, and I'll arrange to have a police officer return your gear to you". No one ever called! Am I a thief?

2. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I took it down and threw it across the fence. Probably should have kept it. They had pulled the fence down and put up a stand and trimmed lanes. All on my ground. If it happens again, I probably would not feel too bad taking it.

3. tbass3574

tbass3574 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Would have done the same thing, left a number and if they were brave enough to call it give it back to them

4. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hasn't happened to me but if someone was hunting on my property and I found their gear, it would become mine.

5. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't been lucky enough to acquire any free stuff , my trespassers show up during firearms season and sit on the ground :rant:

6. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have collected numerous ladder stands and a couple hang-ons from my buddy. I am the only one who has access to his property to hunt anything. Either when he finds it or I find it and I have his permission to keep it. He has never had anyone come looking for any of the items. Good times!

7. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never found anything on our land, most drive by and shoot from the road. :bash:

I did find a road cleared out where someone had been driving in on government land that borders ours.

8. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have taken down and kept a number of stands. The "no trespassing" signs that they walked past to put their stands up have name and phone number so they would be more than welcome to give a call. If they would call, I'd have a chat with them AND would give their gear back because we all work hard and pay good money for our gear. To date, I've never gotten that calling asking for anything back.

9. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep I take their stuff and put up one of my yellow no hunting, or trespassing signs in place. I never leave a number, and I keep their stuff. Cellular cameras have fixed the problem. I simply print out a photo of the turds you can see, take it down to the local quick sack and hang it up. Gets instant results. Once identified the game warden simply gives them a nasty ticket, number two is hunting privileges revoked.

10. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    While shed hunting this year, I found both a lock on and buddy stand. I took them down and just laid them at the base of the tree and told one of the guys up the road that if he knew who it belonged to, I would like it gone. The very next day back at the property I had 2 Sheriffs come down on me and threaten to charge me with larceny...although I didn't take, steal or carry the stands away. I am a criminology major and both parents have 25+ years law enforcement experience, needless to say, that was the last I have heard from that county haha

11. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I found a knife next to a guy pile on our side of the property line, he couldn't bother to pull his deer 5' to his side. He didn't get his knife back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It probably belonged to one of the guys in the pile ... :p

13. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dirty Mike and the boys.

I would take it down and hold on to it until they contact me. If never contacted, I could keep it, sell it, or give it away. Depends on the item.

14. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't own property but have sole permission on s farm in Ohio. The owner (a good friend) said if I find any stands, leave a note with his name and number and take the stand down. I haven't found one yet.

15. mikerock85

mikerock85 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive found my stands stolen and then foumd them on another part of the property locked up... I came back with my cutters and took my stand back and moved it to another location. .. I never seen who did it but surely when I do ill have some words with them...

16. AJBowhunter

AJBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same. I have found a number of things on our property through out the years and most I have kept. No one wants to make that embarrassing call. I think the most interesting thing I have found was a 1911 .45 in a holster hanging below one of our tree stands, unfortunately the brown present at the base of the tree wasn't so pleasant. That one we took to the local sheriff station, so they could track him down and give the guy his gun back. Talked to him and said we don't want to catch you again, and let him on his way.

Sent from my IPhone 5S.

17. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a treestand right behind my new house. I mean, if I walk straight back through my pond it's right there. We are taking it down and bringing it up to the house. If they want it, they can come knock on the door. The old owner only gave one person (family) permission and I know who they are...so needless to say, I think I'll be spending some time sending people away. If you want to hunt on my land, let me hunt on yours. Otherwise - get off.

18. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had a buddy who found a hang on stand in his driveway with a hand written note that said "I don't allow hunting". Funny thing was he didn't hunt. Plus side, he gave it to me.

Also, we found some some rattling antlers hanging from one of our deer stands on our (owned) property one season. I still have them.

19. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Funny I had a similar thing happen, the land behind my house, that was heavily hunted, was donated by the owners estate, to a Nature conservancy. A couple months later I found a huge stack of stands, blinds, and trail cams, none of which were mine, left on the edge of the woods in my backyard with a note, "Since you are a neighbor, feel free to hunt discreetly, but please do not leave any hunting gear in the preserve". How they knew I hunted is beyond me, but I was certainly not going to complain, free stuff and exclusive hunting permission! Ca-ching!!

20. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it's on my property it's mine, that simple. No one but family has permission so if it's not ours you're a tresspasser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk