*Official 2014 - Battle of the States Competition Rules & Sign Up*

Discussion in 'Other Deer Contests' started by tynimiller, Jul 14, 2014.

1. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am sure he is just paper tuning. :bow:

2. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That will be good because I would hate to not see anybody from Alabama represent!

3. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so let me gets this right. Say a three-man team shoots a 180, 160, & a 130. A one man team shoots a 157 and he wins? I saw this average thing and never said anything cause I thought to myself that would never happen... :sad:

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I want to keep each team to at minimum 3 man teams to avoid just that. No perfect way to slice the scoring unless we do a state pick em. Which I've thought next year we may do something where top 5 players from 2014 State Battle guarantee spot on State team the next year...and remaining ones picked....who knows we shall see.

5. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good point.

Maybe if someone blanks, they should get negative 25 points toward their teams average so this couldn't happen.

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, nah...actually I had to go road a tractor and drill home from the far farm 35 miles over in KS. I taped your pic on all four tractor tires so I got to watch your face smack into pavement about eight times per second for an hour and a half. :lol:

Haha, no...it's really no big deal, I didn't know if I would even make the cut the other way it was being discussed either. The original contest is fine, this one doesn't really do anything the other one doesn't anyway. The same data can be extrapolated from the original contest as it stands because both will share the same folks more than likely, just with some newer members weeded out.

7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Oh the 0 (zero) will be factored into the average for the states/teams.

8. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How is this any better?

Team 1 (4 people) - 175,125,0,0 = 300 Average = 75
    Team 2 - (3 people) 145, 50,50, = 245 Average = 81
    So team 1 had the bigger buck and scored the most points and still lost....

Just say'n!

9. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So Heckler do you want the state who shoots the biggest buck to win? How else can you have different number of people playing for each state and have a fair way to have the scores work other than the average?

10. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    You'd about have to divide each score by the same number, likely the lessor of the team member count. The only other way to do it is to make a standard team member number (minimum number of folks on each team) otherwise the mathematical chances of something unfair like the examples given, are way too likely. You simply can't make team score averages fair with odd numbers of team members on each team. The only other thing would be a team point total without an average but even that really wouldn't be fair since an extra team member means extra points.

I don't know what the best solution is, I'm just saying that the point raised is a serious flaw.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  11. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just would like to thank you Ty for taking this on. I'm looking forward to sharing the season with members of my state, I don't care how the final score ends up, will be a lot of fun. Thanks

12. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice I'm do for a monster buck

13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Okay to those worried about scoring:

First, this is never going to be 100% perfect. I mean shoot you're talking about an online forum competition designed solely with fun as it's main goal. I'll admit if every team was the EXACT same number of team members, yeah the total inches of bucks that hit the dirt for each team would be the "PERFECT" or "BEST" way to do the scoring. However, this isn't the case, because I found it hard to justify keeping people out of a for fun competition.

However, when average was brought up by Tom and a few others through PM's it made the best sense and would keep me or anyone else from having the task of eliminating people.

So average is the best way possible.

I have tweaked the scoring just a hair though as some feel it isn't as "fair" as it could be and is a major flaw.

In the event your team has a couple team members not score a buck, which would result in a 0 score....the following will occur:

For every 5 players on a team, one (zero) score will be allowed to be dropped from the average calculation. This is in an effort to account for the zero outliers on a team and let's face it life and hunting don't always go as planned....

This is the ONLY scoring tweak I am willing to make, and while this still isn't perfect it is a step towards eliminating the outliers which could cause a team to feel cheated.

BOTTOM LINE THOUGH IS THIS:

*This is for fun and the scoring is the same for everyone.*

14. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    No matter how the scoring turns out, we'll all see by the total deer on the ground who kicked butt and who didn't anyway. It can be tweaked next year or something if needed.

15. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The first year is always a dry run to see how things turn out. Once the season is over, any changes that need to be made will be taken care of and it will work a little better next year. Everyone just has to be patient and like Ty said remember that this is for fun!

16. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Best of luck to everyone!

17. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How about just taking the top 2-3 bucks from each state/team and doing the average off that. It would eliminate the problems with zeros and not matter how many was on a team.

18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Don't like it as that takes away deer guys will harvest....teams are not comprised of just 2 or 3.

19. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck tynmiller, sounds like you already have your hands full of people that want to run the contest. At least until you offer it to them. :p

20. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah no kidding...if this was a legit contest with entrance fees and such I could understand...but oh well I think it has simmered down and guys realize no perfect solution exists...this will be fun I have no doubt. Hoosiers gonna make some noise I have a feeling :)