Hunting show "bubble"

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Dan, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I do think there was a mini bubble that popped a few years ago as some of the smaller shows lost what few Sponsors they had and got tired of funding it all on their own. However a whole new generation of shows has popped up to take their place. I honestly don't know how some of them make it considering the costs for camera gear, editing, airtime and more. I would guess we continue to see a pretty hefty turnover of small "do it yourself" shows these next few years but I doubt many of them will catch on.

Now on a positive note I have seen a considerable upswing in the quality and originality of some of the content these past few years. HB started the trend in cinematography and many others have followed, and ever surpassed, their quality IMO. I thought the Professionals was a great show and Uncharted is shaping up to be equally as good. There is no questioning the growing gap in the quality of outdoor programming. It's nice to see some of the better stuff continue to get better, but some of the bad stuff is just awful. I don't know how some of these people can make a show and honestly say to themselves "This is awesome. Let's put it on TV!".

2. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like to watch some shows now and then but like more guys on here I have started to turn to youtube and this website for my hunting show needs. I still set the DVR for HB, Whitetail Freaks, MLB bowhunter, and everyonce in ahwile if I see a show is going to have an archery elk hunt I am a sucker for those because its my dream hunt.

As long as people keep watching and there are three outdoor networks I don't think the bubble will pop.

3. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I only watch for the cinematography and editing. There are only a handful out there worth watching based on that criteria alone. However, as Justin said, it seems the quality is increasing. I just can't get over the use of RED cameras in this industry. Just seems to be an absurd amount of overhead.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  4. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, some hunting personalities really make you wonder how they got a show. That's why I prefer the shows that know how to use a camera instead of a show that has to work so hard to sell the hunter. Shows should stick to creative cinematography and let the video tell the story.

5. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't watch many at all. Mostly for the reasons others have stated. Can't stand the catch phrases at all. Do like some of the Jim Shockey and Drury shows out. Uncharted and Thirteen have started off pretty decent. Other than that stick to YouTube.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

6. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    I cant remember the last time I watched a hunting channel also because of pretty much what everybody has said already! I do watch Mathews TV when one of our Bowhunt or Die episodes makes it! Did ya'll catch Clintons hunt the other day on it??

7. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I actually cancelled all of the extra hunting channels I had. Only two I watch are BHOD.and WKP.

The bubble....I think is still growing.

8. linewrench

linewrench Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I feel the same way, I really only watch BHD. I did jump on the reality based shows for a while but I can only stand so much off BBD! Or all of Micheal Waddells catch fraises'. I pretty much stick to self filmed stuff on YouTube.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

9. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Part of the problem, I think, is that anyone can buy airtime on the three outdoor channels. It's not like regular network tv where the network puts out a show and sells advertising, and shows only survive if they have good ratings. On the three outdoor channels, you buy your airtime and sell your sponsors advertising yourself, for the most part. The more money you can come up with, the better time slots you get. It would make outdoor programming a whole lot better if shows only survived by having good ratings.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  10. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I completely agree with this.

I was part of a meeting on Wednesday afternoon with a show seeking sponsorship to make it to national level on one of the outdoor networks. They were scheduled to be on a national level until their title sponsor pulled the plug at the last minute.

The show is decent and has a good base but, like Dan said, they made it to the national level due to money from a big sponsor. I think if they don't have the ratings, they shouldn't have a slot.

Some companies that sponsor these shows are only looking for air time for their commercials or their names to be thrown out there from time to time. The shows put together media packages with prices based on what all the sponsoring or partnering companies are willing to pay out. The show that approached us has a deal working with a company that has very little to do with the outdoor industry as far as selling products. They just want to target farmers and the agricultural industry. They know there are a lot of those people out there that hunt so they will get some exposure. They get exposure, the show gets money to pay for their 3 spots a week, the network gets paid and everyone is happy. Well, except for people who don't like the show. This is a good thing in a way. We need more companies outside of the industry to become involved and help it grow. That's kind of where competitive archery is lacking. Not enough outside sponsors to help exposure and bring in ore revenue. That's for a different discussion all together.

Touching on Justin's post. I really like the way the higher end shows are being produced. It has made watching other shows much more enjoyable. HB is one of my favorites. That and Major League Bowhunters are my go to shows. I like how MLB helps you understand the hunt and the preparation up to that particular hunt. I think these two shows keep pushing to produce better shows and others are following. If air times and prime time slots would depend on ratings, can you imagine how much better shows would be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I get my hunting show fix from BHOD or YouTube. I usually watch in the van on the way home and I like a variety, like tonight I watched a guy take a rattler in Texas with a bow.

12. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

BOWHUNTANDLIVE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As long as folks continue to video their hunts and the way they portary their hunts is "fair chase" i will watch them....i just wont buy them...but BHOD will be a mainstay on my youtube subscriptions...

13. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You guys are all on drugs !! The Pursuit Channel has Keith Warren and Spook Nation on it. Some of the finest tv viewing pleasure you will ever experience !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nana: :nana: :rock:

I can't stand watching that garbage so I don't. In the winter when things are slow... I will catch up on all the episodes from here, a few shows from Midwest Whitetail when they are hunting and Todd's ( Wicked ). I enjoy those and that is about it.

Tim

14. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't agree with you more, I think our little YouTube page shows better stuff then the **** on pursuit channel. It almost drives me crazy that people can watch this stuff.

The only hunting tv that gets my attention anymore is bowhunting dangerous game. I've seen way to many people go absolutely insane cheering after making a terrible shot on a whitetail to watch that anymore.

15. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This morning while in the kitchen eating oat meal and getting reading to go workout I had the tv on a hunting channel, 604 (whatever that is where I am), an older gentlemen was taking several kids on a "management hunt", they were riding around on a big utv and stopped in a clover patch. 4 does were feeding. They turned it off grabbed a gun, shot it and then congrats. Wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry.

16. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't watch the shows very often. It would be nice if someone would put out a show showing all the problems that can happen with the average hunter, not just footage from sitting in the stand and then the kill. For example all the public land hunters that have to deal with other hunters and coming up with a plan B. Duck hunting shows are a joke. We have to adapt and move all the time when slobs show up and set up 80 yds from us and scare all the ducks away. You rarely see what it actually takes to hunt, but rather just the kill. Just my Opinion

17. Mathewshooter

Mathewshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't watched the hunting shows on TV in years. I only watch the instructional DVD's now. I don't get a kick out of watching some goober shoot deer after deer on some game farm. I want to actually learn something from watching. I highly recommend the Eberhart DVD's along with the ones by Dan Infalt.

18. PublicEnemyTV

PublicEnemyTV Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My belief is that shows like BHOD have created a new paradigm in the "hunting show" market. They produce a great quality product and do not charge for it. The show has real people with real jobs hunting with their real equipment. This is the gonna be the new wave of hunting shows. The best part is that they cater to the "normal" person. There are many...a lot actually...who do not have quite the amount of land as some of the "pros." So, I gravitated and stayed with viewing BHOD because of those reasons. Oh and there is no shame of showing a clip where someone doesn't harvest that episode.

It is that paradigm that has fueled our very own show. a no-charge, great quality, real people, real places, and raw real hunts.

I think people have grown tired of seeing that they are not getting the results they have seen displayed on the screen and tuning out. That and all the advertisement.

Keep up the fantastic work BHOD guys and gals!

19. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What's WKP?

20. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    White knuckle productions, it's the wicked tree saw people. They do a weekly short episode on mondays. You should check it out.