Tactical goals for the upcoming season

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jake/PA, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For the 2013 season I really wanted to hunt smarter when it came to the wind. I hunted less and with better entry, which ended with me seeing my biggest buck to date.

This year, my goals will be to hunt terrain features on public land, hunt fresh sign, and use ground hunting (no blind) a little more. I'd also like to start hunting buck beds, but not being able to find any this past spring has hurt my chances.

What are your tactical goals for the 2014 season?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  2. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I guess my main tactical goal will be setting up somewhere with little or no chance to get busted. Planning entry and exit points for each stand and trying to place my stands in areas that have very little effect from wind.

3. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One of my biggest tactical goals will be to hunt smarter in terms of deer movement, especially bucks. I want to try to hunt where they are going instead of trying to pull them where I want to hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm trying to check my cams less frequently. I also have my bow dialed in better.

This Fall, I will be hunting harder than ever.

5. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The biggest goal, tactically speaking, is to stalk within 40 yards of a Mule deer. Everyone that I have talked to says 70 yards is the closest that they have gotten. I think that I'll be able to accomplish this because we are hunting in a buddy system style, where one of us will sit on the scope and binos and the other will get on the stalk.

6. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Buy corn straight from a farmer to save money so I can "habitat enhance" more spots:lol:

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Taking down the trail cams when I hunt. I usually sit out the first 6 weeks of the season, then get after it. This year I have a plan I am going to work and plan on putting away the trail cams and be in the stand the days I should be

8. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody else? :poke:

9. benlwilson

benlwilson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For the last couple of years I have been able to get within 50 yards doing spot and stock on mule deer. This year my tactical goal is to know the deer movement a little better and be set up so that the deer come to me. I want to take a shot within 30 yards. That is my goal for this year.

10. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Learning how to pattern deer without a food source on my property.

It was too wet to plant this spring and the farmer just now disked everything under. I glassed a field that has not been disked last night and had 3 deer feeding on the grown up grass so far.

Learning tree stand placement - I have never actually hung a stand by myself (This will be my 2nd year bow hunting). I hunted solely from the ground last year.

Need to get better at entry/exit routes.

11. IAwhitetails

IAwhitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My main goal is to hunt different stands more often. If i see a big buck in one i have a habit to hunt that stand hard and end up burning it out in the end

12. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am doing that and it saves me a TON of money!

13. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Checking my cams less than I have in years past. Especially on my second property. I put my Covert Red40 out, over my MonsterRaxx site, 2 weeks before the GTG (June 7th) and I have NOT been back there yet to check it. I will go next week. I am only going to hunt this property when the wind is right. I have some really nice bucks there and I want it to be just right come Sept. 7th. (If the wind is right) :tu:

14. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Almost starting to seem boring but I'm going to hunt the same stands the same way that I have for years . I really need to find some new property to challenge myself .

15. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm gonna spread my time more evenly amount my properties. And get up and hunt mornings as well. In my area morning hunts are productive, as well. I need to find the bucks early, too. I hunt the does too early in the season. Hopefully this rut will pay off, last year was a dud.

16. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My goal is to hunt the entire season without being winded by a single deer. I have tweaked my stands to allow for bulletproof access...and also using thermals to My advantage

17. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Access is always huge and often overlooked.

18. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Take a deer (yes I don't give a sh*t if it is a buck!) on property I just got access to, but the landowner does not want me to step foot onto the property until the season opens 10/1. I have been studying the satellite and topo maps while also glassing nearby. It is only 20 acres with a 10 acre hay field in the center and 2 sides of the property are borders by estate homes. I'm looking forward to the challenge!

Accessing the property is looking to be the hardest part. I plan on talking to a couple of the home owners nearby, but am expecting all "no's".

19. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I moved last winter, so I spend a lot of time this spring scouting local public land, have some buck beds and good looking spots picked out. Now I've been glassing and going to start shinning area fields later this month to figure out the caliber of deer on the properties. This will help determine which spots get hunting first. I also have some private land I know quite well, hunting the public should keep pressure down. In the past I've had pretty good success on the private so I won't be changing much. I ran out of time to scout a few spots this spring, so those if I can glass up some decent animals in the area I'll either get some boots on the ground before season or during season. Should be a fun season, a lot of ground to learn!

20. linewrench

linewrench Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I want to stay consistent with my sent control and not slack off like usually do lol.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk