BHOD Team Setups

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by LSU327, Jun 30, 2014.

1. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would be interested in seeing a few posts about team member's bow set ups. I know us bowhunters are "tinkerers" by nature and I personally like reading about an individual's setup and why they chose that. Is this possible?

2. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Mathews Creed XS, 29" 70# in black tactical. Pine ridge Nitro 5.5" stab in black tactical, Pine ridge Nitro wrist string in lime green, pine ridge nitro peep in lime green, and pine ridge Nitro buttons in lime green. NAP Apache drop away Carbon rest and lime green drop away string. HHA optimizer sight. Mathews is our sponser as well as pine ridge and NAP. I chose the Creed XS over the chill because it fits me better. We are very fortunante to have some of the best sponsers in the industry! I love everything on my set up! Ill post pics this evening!

3. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome, thanks for replying. I am leaning towards getting the XS as well. Same specs as you. Right now it is between the Chill X and the Creed XS. Leaning towards the XS due to its size. I do a lot of public land hunting so the smaller setup is appealing.

4. TroyS

TroyS BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I have my setup in my signature but to add I too have the pine ridge accessories including the Nitro stabilizer. I went from the DXT to Z7 Extreme so decided to shake it up and go with a longer axle to axle bow in the Chill R. I also have an antelope hunt planed this year so wanted liked the idea of flatter trajectory. Either way its a matter of preference and comfort so shoot both options. I can just say that after being a guy who preferred the short axle to axle be careful because you may fall in love with the chill x!

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I have both a Chill and a Chill R right now, and it looks like I'll be hunting with the R this fall. Like the others I enjoy a little more speed/KE to help with flatter trajectory and better penetration. At some point in the near future I'll be putting a set of 75% Rock Mods on it to help solidify the back wall a bit, as well as pick up a few more fps.

For a sight I went with the HHA Optimizer Lite Ultra with the 2nd/3rd axis adjuster and .019 pin. I can't say I've found a thing about this sight that I don't like. It's rock solid, easy to adjust and the pin is seriously bright. My current plan is to leave it set at 25 yards and use that one pin out to 30-32.

This year I think I'm going to hunt with either Maxima RED 350s or perhaps Blue Streak Select 350s. I'm testing both out to see how they fly and I'll make the decision before the season opens up. I did add a 50 grain brass weight on the back of my inserts to help increase my FOC and get some better penetration this year. Depending on where my FOC ends up I may or may not use Quikfletch this fall. If I don't I'll go back to regular QuikSpin or Twister vanes. With the Quikfletch and a lighted nock on the back of your arrow it can throw your FOC off in a hurry. Sometimes I feel like our arrow setups are just too light for these big expandable heads we all want to shoot.

Speaking of which I may go to the Thunderhead Edge this fall. I really miss the days of blowing through deer and finding my arrow buried 6 inches in the dirt on the other side. So back to the fixed blade I go.

Aside from that I'm shooting an NAP Apache Carbon rest, Pine Ridge Sawtooth stabilizer and either the NAP Apache or TightSpot quiver.

6. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Thanks for sharing. Do you ever have any trouble tuning fixed blades? I live in the city so my opportunities to shoot an actual broadhead are pretty slim so I have always stuck with mechanicals.

7. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I plan on shooting the entire Mathews line pretty soon, just sold my hunting bow so it is time to upgrade!

8. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Here ya go! Im also shooting carbon express pile drivers with 100 gr kill zones!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like the deer and turkey tracks.

10. Dickie Tunes

Dickie Tunes Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Mathews Creed XS Desert Tactical 30" 70lbs.
    Tight spot quiver
    NAP Apache Rest
    HHA Optimizer sight
    NAP kill zone 100G.
    Carbon Express Maxima Reds
    Pine Ridge Stabalizer

11. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey LSU,
    I switched from my creed to a Chill X. I still have my carbon Apache rest, HHA optimizer sight, Pine Ridge stabilizer. I will be putting a tight spot quiver on it also.
    As for arrows I am shooting Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 350's I added a 50 gr brass insert to give me a better FOC.
    My total arrow weight is about 445 grains when tipped.
    The Chill X is a 35" ATA which is the longest compound bow I have ever had. But I can tell you I has to be one of my favorite bows I have ever owned.
    As far as tinkering with it goes I usually have Pete do most of the work I want done. But I will still do my "D" loops and a little paper tuning when I need to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  12. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am really intrigued by the Chill X. I do a lot of target shooting so I have a feeling I will really like it.

13. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just go see Pete I am pretty sure he has a demo. If he doesn't and I am around I'll let you shoot mine.

14. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Going to try and make a stop in tomorrow. Running some errands in the NW burbs so if I am done in time I will swing by the shop.

15. xtreme16

xtreme16 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    1800207_588985737852024_701197331_n.jpg 1904205_588986081185323_1260277315_n.jpg 1964966_588985981185333_714067570_n.jpg I ended up switching from my z7 xtreme to the creed xs. My creed xs has a 28 DL, 70 LB DW, NAP apache rest, pine ridge accessories with the saw tooth stabilizer, peep, kisser, etc. I'm installing an HHA sight and will be shooting carbon express maxima reds (250), CX launch pads, with NAP quick fletches, and NAP hell razors. 1609951_451045325041367_5732873135341633201_n.jpg 10301939_640045419412722_2776885746240086790_n.jpg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  16. stillmanchad

stillmanchad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mathews Creed XS, 27.5" 70#, black. Pine ridge Nitro 5.5" stabilizer in black, Pine ridge Nitro wrist string (black),NAP Apache Carbon drop away. HHA optimizer sight with 2nd and 3rd axis in the .10 pin ( I love this sight). I have only ever shot Mathews bows period....my entire life. I worked at a bow shop in college and they sold Mathews (I've been hooked ever since)....I've never stopped shooting them.
    Carbon Express Red's and Blue Streak 250's 100gr kill zone NAP broad heads.

17. JSturgill

JSturgill BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Mathews Creed XS, HHA Optimizer, NAP Carbon Apache, Pine Ridge Nitro Stabilizer in Lost Camo and red, Carbon Express 350 Red's with a 100 Grain Kill Zone.

18. tommy2shot

tommy2shot BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
  19. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can I just say that I have also seen some other pictures of your shop setup and am very jealous of it??

20. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting a 2013 Chill 70lb 29" draw. NAP Carbon Apache, modified Pine Ridge Nitro Stabilizers, Timney Trigger release, tight spot quiver. I'm shooting CX Pile Driver Pass Thru Extremes with 100gr. Killzone or Hellzrazors depending on the species I'm hunting.