Team 1

Discussion in '2014 Turkey Contest' started by coheley665, Mar 3, 2014.

1. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your on then just gotta get one to commit. Always have the spare with u lol.what camera u running?
    Came back out to where will killed our buddies bird. Set up on a old bird that's worked us a couple times already. Finally got to see him at 30 yards but could just see his head then he just turned away. Was a dead bird just didn't have footage at all really so he got a walk

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Running a XA10

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

3. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    I have relocated to a cut cornfield edge along a row of hardwoods. Have already seen two hens so big improvement already! And I got my extra camera battery from the truck just sucks I only have till 1 today to hunt.

4. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    Today's my last chance and it isn't looking good. Got in the blind and all at up about 4:30 this morning. Had a gobbler back behind me but sounded far. Haven't sen a thing yet today except a few deer.

5. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Was it you that was looking for a handle for your camera? Hopefully you will have one work in nice and silent. When does your tag end?
    Last night ended on a good note we where able to wrap a tag around that bird from yesterday morning. Ill post some pics and little about the hunt sometime today.

6. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    Ya I still need to get one. Haven't had any luck finding a used one so will have to order new I guess. My season ends the 15th but today is the last day I can get out so I have till 1 pm to make it happen and it isn't looking good. Thunderstorms rolling in now too.

7. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Dang weather!! that’s pretty annoying that you guys can’t hunt all day.
    Well I will try to keep this short. Before the season started we decided that we take a good buddy of mine and my filming partner’s brother out to try and get him his first turkey. The original plan was he was going to try to reap one with his 410. Well about a week and half ago he had a incident at work and ended up taking half of his thumb off. This weekend was originally set aside for me and my filming partner to get our birds at the farm but after things being completely dead on Saturday we decided to try and get him his bird on Sunday. We knew where the bird was roosting from hunting the property a couple other times. Sure enough he ended up coming to 30 yards in the morning then just didn’t like something and turned away. After playing around with a few bird we figured to call it a morning and set up right on his roost catching him going back for the evening. Things where completely dead and it was getting late so we said heck with it let out a couple yelps then a gobble and nothing. Not even two minutes later this bird came running into the decoys out of the thicket. Ended up having 10 1/4 beard, 1 inch spurs and 23.2lbs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    Well it was a fun and interesting day but no luck. I got setup in the blind about an hour before sunrise. Soon as the sun started coming up I could hear gobbles around me. Nothing was responding to early calling so I kept it to a minimum. About 7 the woods were incredibly quiet. I gave a quick call and instantly had hen respond from the woods about 40 yards away. We went back and forth several times and she finally appeared from my right and walked right into my decoys. Unfortunately she did not have any males following her. The weather later changed and a terrible thunder and lightning storm rolled in. After the storm I was able to call in another hen from about 200 yards away. Again a lone hen with no male company. Spent the rest of the day with nothing. So it was a good effort but my season has now come to an end.

9. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No luck for me this past weekend. Had multiple birds within gun range but no bow shots were available. This is our last week of the season, so I'll be getting out a few evenings this week after work and all day this weekend.

10. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
  11. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Weather has been terrible this week. Depending on how tomorrow evening looks, I'm hoping to get out. If not, both Saturday and Sunday for sure.

12. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    yeah same here we have had rain pretty much all week and got a good chill today. Where are you in Ohio IM about a hour from the MI/OH boarder on 75. Heading out tonight to the farm to talk with the farmer and try to see some turkeys for tomorrow morning. Hoping for some good news other wise not real sure what the game plan is.

13. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Well yesterday I say in the blind pretty much all day. Ended up watching 6toms all day go from hen to hen. It was pretty much follow the leader with them. Ended up watching the biggest Tom bread a hen so that was pretty cool. Closest we had them yesterday was around 60 yards. Slept in this morning and did some things around the house. Came out to the farm at about 4 and sure enough all 6 where strutting and gobbling about 200 yards away from the blind then watched them go in front if the blind about 50 yards away. Only problem I could t get to the blind until they worked off. Finally was able to make it to the blind then was setting up the devours and look out in the winter wheat and there was a lone Tom about 200 yards away. Was able to sneak back in the blind and call him into about 30 yards, comfortable range but wanted him to commit into the decoys since I'm self filming today. He ended up working off so now I'm just sitting waiting

14. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Went back out yesterday and had the same 6 toms inside a 100yard twice but then a hen will show up and they will go over to her. Really starting to get annoying haha. I am going to try setting up in the winter wheat on friday since they seem to spend a lot of time in it. Hoping to get a birthday bird friday:tu:

15. hornhunter

hornhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The season is over for me and this is my entry. Ohio Gobbler taken on my 2nd tag May 3rd 2014.His NWTF score was 67.5. I ended my season with 6 long beards taken in 4 states. 1 with a bow /1 with a Black powder Shotgun and 4 with modern Shotgun. It was a very tough season and the birds were way behind schedule every were. DSC02063.jpg

16. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on a heck of a season. Still have till the 31st here. I have one bird in mind. There's a group of 6 that are stuck together and one bird in there is notesly bigger then the others and is always strutting every time.

17. hornhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Nick !!! Good luck to you and stay Focused !!!

18. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks I'm trying, getting tempted to get out the gun and just get it done haha

19. hornhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Those 6 gobblers are prime for a reap with the bow !!! You need to take the game to them and see how it plays out.

20. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    The getting close would be easy in the winter wheat but the only problem is that's a lot of eyes trying to draw a bow back on hahah