to trail camera or not to trail camera

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jacob, May 14, 2014.

1. jacob

jacob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    to the guys that hunted before game cameras were common. Do cameras make that big of a difference for you? Given that they are 80+ for a decent one I am considering not even messing with them. What do you think?

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Trail cameras are one of the greatest asset to a hunter. It can help you locate and track deer on your property. You can learn their travel routes, entry and exit points to cover and feeding patterns. Yes, you can hunt without them, but you may be missing an opportunity at harvesting a doe or a Big Buck because you have No Clue he or she is in the area.

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What he said ^
    and I have really only nitpicking complaints about my $50 Moultrie A-5s.

4. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Along with SharpEyeSam, trail cameras are very valuable in that they help you understand what is residing on your property, basically taking inventory. You can say you would never shoot a buck that's under say 130, but if your inventory shows that none that big or bigger exist then it gives you the chance to put things into perspective. On the flip side of that, if you would be satisfied with any buck but you knew there were 3-4 giants hanging around you may wait to fill that tag so quickly. Occasionally moving trail cameras to check out what is moving along different travel routes will also help clue you in to what is actually using the trails. I placed a camera on a creek crossing last summer that I had no idea was as busy as it was. Not to mention all the real good bucks that were using it. Problem was I was too reluctant to react and hang a stand there and now I look back with some regrets. Guaranteed there will be a stand there this year.

5. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sure you can hunt without them. They are tools. Depending on how you use them they can greatly help or hinder your hunting.

However, I enjoy running cams almost as much as hunting itself. I won't be giving them up any time soon.

6. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much this.

Hunters had success LONG before trailcams came about, and hunter's will continue to have success without them.

They do have their place as tools, but I find myself using them almost more for enjoyment than a specific means to an end.

7. elklover

elklover Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Plot Watcher uses a whole new concept for monitoring game. It is configured to always be taking high definition images at specified intervals between dusk and dawn. It doesn’t matter how far away the game is, so a sensor never comes into play. Time-Lapse video for complete coverage.

8. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think they are a useful tool but even if they didn't help me kill anything I would still use them because I enjoy looking through all the pics if you spend much time on the trail cam forum on here you'll see a lot of guys just do it for the photography aspect of it and the use of them as scouting tools is secondary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Simply put... They are down right fun. Almost use them as a hobby outside of hunting to be honest.

Be careful though... Once you get one, you will almost certainly want more.

10. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've gotten hooked on cameras almost as a second sport to hunting and as a tool. Just getting the cameras in different spots and seeing what comes up has been challenging and fun in itself. Bear hunting it was a huge part of being successful. Deer last year somewhat, but not tons. I got into watching cameras for a buddy a few years before getting into hunting and had a blast. Probably one of the biggest factors to starting hunting. I definitely plan on using them for good, trying as a tool, but enjoying it as recreationally too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. wolbear

wolbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a total of 6 trial cams now, everything from a $50 WalMart brand to $250 Moultries they all serve the purpose the same. I have been able to zero in more, get closer, and harvest more animals, as well as be somewhat "selective" with the animals I take. I left 6 different bucks walk last season because I knew of a particular management buck that needed taken out. Not more than an hour after those bucks passed, the management deer fell at 40 yards! Yes trail cameras are one of the most useful scouting tools I use, as long as they are used properly!

12. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a few, and sometimes even use them to scout.