Tactics: Scouting Public Land.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jake/PA, May 5, 2014.

1. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Inspired by the tactical discussion in another thread, I've decided to start a series of thread talking about where you would scout, why you would scout that area, and how to hunt the area you scouted. These areas that will be shown are mostly just random places I picked out, others might be areas that I have scouted myself or just interested in. All of them will be farm or hill country, since that's the type of terrain I hunt. I am curious to see how others go about scouting these areas out.

Well, let's get things started. I have provided two maps but if you need another just let me know.

Tell us what areas you would scout the most and why. Also how would you hunt it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great idea, thanks for taking initiative rather than another approach...

Can you clarify the lines... are they roads, property lines etc?

I would start near the agricultural fields and look for easy access in and out... the path of least resistance. There are two larger valleys running from the ag. fields up the hill... Id start there. (blue square on the right is in the middle of these "valleys".

Secondly, scout the creek for sign...

Also important to know... where this might be? There are types of trees that would prefer certain slope and soil conditions but without knowing rough location, these would only be guesses.

I guess there are lots of deciduous trees as they appear to be turning colors as per the photo.
    T

3. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like that topo, where is that from?

4. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd sneak onto the ridge and glass for a while. I'd go out every other week and get a feel for entry/exit routes based on what I found while glassing. Since I mostly hunt spot and stalk, I'd study routes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What are the property borders?

6. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All of the maps will be public ground. The black lines are the borders of the public land so anything inside of that is fair game. White is the foot trails and the P is designated parking areas.

7. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This one is the mapping service for the game commision, but you can find the same topo on the link below.

ACME Mapper 2.1

8. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't really like this area due to the close proximity of the parking areas to places I want to look at. In the attached picture I am checking the orange spots for bedding. If I do not find them here I will move up the mountain until I can find an elevation they are bedding. I would also want to check the blue areas for trails that may give way to transition areas.

Disclaimer: I know jack **** about whitetail mapping.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  9. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

1)That inside corner with the 2 draws in it is where I would start. Easy in easy out and it looks like a classic bedding area.
    2)Same kind of area as 1, a couple of draws leading up from the fields. The way that the bottom meets the draw it looks like it would be a good runway.
    3) I would walk the edge and see where they are coming off the fields and set up accordingly

10. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    check out caltopo.com

Best mapping program I have used.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  11. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use Acme Mapper for all my preseason scouting.

12. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    #1 stood out to me as well.

Just NE of that spot (just NE of the 1000) looks good where two more draws come up. There's actually three points that might be great buck bedding spots the jut out SW, NW, and NE.

13. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can you guys explain why you're looking for these draws.

How do deer move through the draws and how does it relate to their bedding?

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  14. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well the sun hits certain sides of slopes longer, so they warm up more and deer like to bed there. I forget which direction is best for this, I think it's the south facing slope? Someone will correct me if I'm wrong

15. 130Woodman

Dislikes Received:
    From what I can make out of it is where the point comes off the draw there is usually a bench( flat spot) where you can see in all directions easy to get out in any direction. The side of the hill depends on the temperature out.

16. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Like I said, I'm still learning.

From what I have learned deer will like to bed on finger ridges, or just off of them. This provides many escape routes and greater visibility/scent control. In the mornings while your thermals are still pulling downhill the deer will approach their bedding area from down wind. This allows them to scent check for any predators. Once bedded and the thermals change the deer can then smell any predators that may be scent trailing them to their bedding location and react accordingly. Draws and saddles typically provide access to these areas. The trick here is playing your thermals and prevailing winds to get in close while remaining undetected. Specifically for evening hunts on dominant bucks.

I would highly suggest getting a DVD called "Hunting Hill Country Bucks" by Nextbuk. By far and large the best video I have purchased on deer scouting.

17. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I second that. You can learn something in every DVD of their series.

18. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Starting with area 1.

Let's say there was a confirmed mature buck bedding area 1/3 down the point between the two draws on area 1.

How and when would you hunt this buck? and then, why did you choose that?

19. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I had my comp instead of my phone I'd look at it more closely. What's your main wind at this area?

20. 130Woodman

Dislikes Received:
    Just assuming he is coming up the hill in the morning the parking area is perfect for the ambush. Locate his bed then backtrack out marking it with trail markers or gps. Gps would be my preference on public land, assuming he is coming up in the morning the thermals will be in your favor so your scent isn't as big a factor. I would be set in the tree 2 hours before daylight and wait it out. You could hunt this any morning and have success until the rut hit then after the rut. I had someone who gave me some insight on hunting terrain and where 2 or more draws come together is a classic bedding area/ travel route during the rut because they can sent check the valley from 1 location. I would not hunt the bed in the afternoon just to be clear but I would follow the black line down towards the field or find a way not to disturb the bed and get close to the field edge, also depending on how open the timber is I might just leave the afternoon hunt alone.