Good content at an all time low.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, May 5, 2014.

1. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I blame it on Rage Broadheads, Michael Waddel, and the lack of a few members.

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This ....^^ not a lot that could be said that hasn't been said.
    Also I think many of us are multifaceted individuals. bow hunting may have brought us all to this sight however we all have other interests , obligations and observations that we are able to discuss.
    I enjoy most of conversation on a variety of topics and I don't see the point in limiting it to hunting.

3. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Only being around here for a couple of months, I don't know what it was like before. But I would like to see more conversations about tactics, habitat, trail cam pictures, buck history (keeping track of a buck and posting his progress every year) and the other stuff like that. I don't really care about posting bow pictures...

On the broken record side of things, I understand what you guys are talking about. I know most of the threads I start or questions I ask have already been talked about, but I wasn't here for those. The hard part is finding those old threads in the haystack...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's hard to tell the tone in print. I'm sure this didn't come across as planned. At least I hope not.

5. brazel_dazel

brazel_dazel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe you could spark a discussion yourself, and create new threds, posts whatever about tactics, and continue to ask targeted questions, when people don't seem to pick it up and run with it to try and get a really good discussion going. You know, rather than whining about how poor the site is in your eyes and then putting people down for not being on here for very long. (I have only been a member of the forum for a few months as well, so I guess you wouldn't expect me to understand.) The only time I have been disappointed with this site is when I read your post.

6. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This 1,000,000%

It will NEVER be like the days of old ... it was new then ...it was a special time, never to be repeated.

What will get a forum rocking is controversy as there really is nothing new under the sun and controversy lets people "show" their forum muscles

7. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We need ArthurP, he would get things back on track.

The new guys really don't understand what this site was like several years ago.

At one point, I remember engineers from top bow companies involved with our discussions. (Over on the other site)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  8. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Perhaps this type of attitude towards people who have only been members for 8 months is a factor.

9. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Jesus guys. Grow up. Re-read, slowly.

His statement wasn't meant to be derogatory. The site used to be way different. Only guys who have been members for at least 3-4 years would understand. Get over it.

10. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

First point, I have probably started more tactics threads than anyone on this site over the years, if not than I bet it's darn close. It is the main reason I stop by every day other than seeing what many of my friends here are up to (yes, friends I have easily met hundreds of members from this site in person... Hunted with them, road tripped with them, camped with them, shot with them, met for drinks etc etc).

Second point, you are reading it wrong. I am all for new members on this site, in fact wish we had many more. What you are missing is if you do not know what the forum flow was like 2 or 3 or 4 years ago, you are right I would not expect you to understand. It is not meant as a slight to anyone regarding how long they have been a member here.

11. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Forums get old and are extremely hard to maintain, old members fall by the wayside because they get tired of re-posting the same stuff all the time to noobs and have already had these "tactical" discussions with other old members. Its like trying to recreate original inspiration.

I'll put some thought into some new stuff maybe I can post while I'm out planting stuff today. I realize you are just trying to rally the troops so to speak. I don't know what to do about membership being dull or not what it was years ago...I guess fate will have to deal with that one.

12. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    24 hour campfire has found a way around this problem, they are old and have millions of posts and hundreds of millions of views.. I guess the new guys can talk tactics while the old guys debate controversies and joke about the old times?

13. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have on two occasions attempted to talk tactics with you.

14. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can honestly say this website helped shape the hunter I am now (whether that's good or bad I don't know lol).

More importantly, like Scott, I've probably met 100 people from here or more...and I've made some really good friends. Kudos to bh.com for that.

As far as topics go...I throw a few at the wall every now and then, some stick, some dont. 6 years and you run outta things to talk about I guess...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

15. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nobody really needs to defend Scott (buckeye) he has been a staple on the forums since back in the HNI days. With that said there is a lack of substance in the threads but I think it comes from seeing the same threads year after year. How many times can you answer the same question over and over again.

16. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    I'd agree that the senior members of this site get sick of answering those questions, but when a rookie posts a question that has been posted a million times, other rookies can answer that

17. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd agree with Buckeye and it's not just this forum. I've always kind of thought of hunting forums like I do hunting magazines, eventually there just isn't that much to discuss that hasn't been talked about before. How many times can folks write about pinch points, topo reading, food sources, rut tactics, transition zones, broadheads, funnels, moon phases, etc. We have 100's of old hunting magazines at our camp dating back to the 80's and it's funny to pick one up and read it, they were talking about a lot of the same stuff then.

That being said I still check in because I'm familiar with a lot of folks here and just want to see what people are up to when they do post, I find myself not really expecting much as far as good threads go these days. I guess I'm more of a habitual member than a contributing member.

I do have some new property I haven't stepped foot on yet and would be interested in some folks here looking over a couple maps and dropping some wisdom, maybe I'll do that.....someday. ;)

18. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's not what I was getting at but I can see why you took it that way. Sorry what I really meant was there is a lack of threads that contain debatable or substantial content to warrant an in-depth discussion about bow hunting.

19. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Instead of arguing about it, how about we direct our attention to the "problem" at hand:

START POSTING

20. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    One thing I would like is more chances for Minnesota guys get together, I can't drove to Illinois to meet everyone and go to the G2G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk