XXX Team 11 - Official Thread XXX

Discussion in '2014 Turkey Contest' started by gltomp, Mar 17, 2014.

1. gltomp1

gltomp1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Come on May 1st... you all are awesome in knocking down your birds. Big congratulations to you all!!!

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like Thursday is your big day! Are you ready? Will you be hunting Thursday or Friday or are you waiting until the weekend?

Snake, Have you been hunting?

Last time I hunted was Monday. Doesn't look like I will get out again for quite some time unless I can sneak out for a few hours in the morning sometime this week. Between all the sports my boys are playing and the garage sale coming up towards the tail end of next week my wife doesn't think I have time. :p

3. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh boy... checkin' and re-checkin' all my gear and I'm ready to go hunting. Thursday morning should find me in my blind at the edge of a corn field.

I have to check with my Amish buddy though - soon. He's told me a few weeks ago he plans on hunting in an area about an hour away, but he has a decoy of mine (feeding hen) and I have a 'few' of his - but they're all upright. I don't like that. I'd rather have just my strutting Tom and the feeding hen in front of the blind. Maybe I'll slide on over to his place Wed evening and trade decoys so I feel a bit more comfortable with the set-up come Thursday and to wish him luck. His wife is expecting their second child on the 5th. After she has the baby, the 5 of us will be going upstate to visit her parents and 'show off the new grandchild'. That's where Johnathan and I shot our bow birds last year (a double). We'll be staying there a week - archery hunting every morning (we can only hunt 'til noon in NY). I can't wait to get up there again.

What do you team members think... I've only taken one bird with a bow (last year's) but I'm HOOKED for LIFE on doing that every year from now 'til whenever. The bird I shot was a 17# Jake. My question is this... should I wait for a HUGE Tom or will it be okay with you all if I shoot a Jake again if one comes to my set-up? You all are killin' MONSTA's!!! I'd just like to get a bird again... but I'd wait for a tubby if you'd like me to [hate ending a sentence in a preposition - :dan:]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  4. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been hunting, but getting my butt whooped the last 2 days. I was so close a couple times but couldn't close the deal. My wife killed a nice bird yesterday and my father in law killed a good one this morning. I almost killed one of the 3 I've been fooling with this whole past week but both times I got on them they went the other way. I'll be after it again in the morning if its not storming. This is the toughest year I've ever had so far.

5. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    If I have a lot of confidence and a few decent weather days I personally would probably pass on a jake the first day but if the footage was good, it's hard to pass on anything considering how past seasons have gone for me. I have a couple personal goals that someday I would love to accomplish... Shoot a bird on my parents land (only two in over 15years), shoot a bearded hen (we have plenty around), and shoot a bird bigger than any of Alissa's birds! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What is your limit Jerry? You get more than one bird? If so, shoot the first bird you can as blanks are team killers. They are better eating too! You can go for a better bird from there on out!

Snake, Keep after them! I love spending time in the woods this time a year. All the different sounds make it a lot easier to sit hour after hour.

7. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    OKAY... here goes. I can shoot two birds, so the first one to present a shot will probably get blasted [that's points on the board]... then it's bigger bird hunting time. Also I just got done talking with Kelly Hayes of US Outdoor Central (US Outdoorsman Central membership website. Free trips and gear) and we're going to go turkey hunting after next weekend - and Kelly is filming it! Kelly, his wife and our daughter went to school and all graduated together. Heck, I went to school with his MIL & FIL... even had a crush on her at one time. Small world huh?

Well anyway - I can't wait for season to start. Oh... looks like I may be writing articles for USOC and selling advertising space for their TV show on the Pursuit Channel too.

USOC Logo.jpg

8. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  9. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Game Plan This Week-

Just not a good week for hunting here. Its been raining and windy the last several days.

On Wednesday after the kids get home I am going to take my oldest boy out to the farm and have him blast off a few rounds out of this youth model 20 gauge we borrowed to see if he can handle it. If all goes well he will be hunting with a shotgun next trip.

Its going to begin to clear off Thursday but its suppose to be really cool. I am going to get up early and scout a property I have never hunted before. I will probably take the shotty as I want to stay mobile and focus more on scouting. I won't kill a bird unless its a monster. :)

After that I am going to meet up with a farmer I have permission to hunt his land. I have only talked to him on the phone and thought it would be best to introduce myself in person, get written permission, and let him show me which properties I can hunt on a map. Along with were all the birds roost ect... :) I will check some of those properties out if I have time so I am not going in blind on our next hunt.

After that we won't have anytime again until Sunday to hunt. If the birds are really responsive I may let my son play hooky from school and go hunting with me on Monday. (I've never done that with him yet. :) ) Next week is looking much better!

Snake - Have you been out with all this weather we have had blow through?

gltomp - I bet you are pumped! Less than 2 days my friend!

What are the 2 love birds up too? Are you both done for the season?

10. Alissa Kay

Alissa Kay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I believe we are both done. We have Chase and his dad coming to hunt next week I believe and hopefully Trevor can get them on some birds. I start a new job on Monday so I won't be getting an over the counter tag for a later season.

11. gltomp1

gltomp1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Scouted this am... no birds. Area still has standing corn.

12. gltomp1

gltomp1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    May go check out my cousins small property. Suppose to rain all this week, windy & cold. May wait til weekend.

13. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been out and still on birds every day, just nothing coming together. I'm trying as hard as possible, just getting schooled.

14. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I CAN'T FIND MY HUNTING LICENSE :hater:

I had it during deer season... just can't seem to locate it. Going to check with my Amish buddy. I'm always leaving stuff over there. I haven't found my back tag either - maybe I left my hunting jacket there. My mother has stage 5 Dementia - I don't think I fell very far from the tree.

STILL LOOKING!

UPDATE: Thank God for wives! She went through my backpack (after I had gone through it 2x's)... and found my license :rolleyes: My Amish friend called me (from his phone in the woods) and told me I DID leave my hunting jacket there. I'm picking it up tomorrow afternoon. WHEW... she saved my butt again (45 years). hehe

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  15. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am in the fan stands rooting for you Jerry! YOU GO BOY! :woot:

16. gltomp1

gltomp1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing all morning... not even a cluck, gobble or puck. Gonna check out my cousins this evening and maybe hunt there tomorrow. Got 40 more minutos... hey you never know.

THANKS Heck for the encouragement (& calling me a boy) :lol:

17. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't get to go hunting this morning, had to come to work early. I'll be at it again every day until the end of the season though. I'm not giving up yet!

18. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just thought of something. Those 3 birds that won't come to the decoys, I think I'm gonna take the decoys to them. Crawl up behind my strutter and see what happens. I hope it will work, I've never tried it before. Any of you guys tried this before? I've seen a bunch of videos recently about doing this. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

19. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never tried it Snake, but looks like a lot of fun trying. Let us know how it goes.

20. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It will work! Just make sure you don't get a load of tungsten in the face doing it!