XXX Team 11 - Official Thread XXX

Discussion in '2014 Turkey Contest' started by gltomp, Mar 17, 2014.

1. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man o man am I fired up for Monday. I went to listen for birds this morning and saw 8 different longbeards and heard several more. Also got to watch a group of bucks, one of which had about 7" beams. When I was leaving I came around a corner and 2 gobblers were in the field road with 2 hens. Rather than take off they started strutting 30 yards in front of the truck. Also had a bunch of wood ducks landing and flying by as I was planting trees. Just an awesome morning to be in the woods. O yeah, found a shed too.

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Snake! I am going to get my boy out in the morning for a few hours. May even become a family tradition. We will be back in time for church and to have a late lunch with the family!

3. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Best of luck to you guys... seems like time is going backwards here waiting 'til May 1st.

4. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Only have heard one gobbler this morning at 1000 yards. Just as well be a million. :(

5. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Happy Easter everybody! Getting ready for church and spend the day visiting family. I've got the blind, decoys, and chairs loaded up and ready for in the morning. Time to tip some toms.

6. gltomp1

gltomp1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What a beautiful morning to hunt birds... and I gotta 2 more weeks to wait. Bummer!

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

7. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Happy Easter all! This morning was a bust. I walked a 1/4 mile in the creek and only found two turkey tracks and not many more deer tracts..... I put a big red X through that property on my maps. Going out again in the morning. I arrowed a bird at this spot last year and never made the recovery. I hope my son can redeem me! Suppose to be cloudy and warm most the day tomorrow. Should be good!

8. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think my son has bad mojo. I took him out to a "honey" hole this morning. We were all setup well before daylight. My son says to me... "Dad what is that light down in draw below us." Another hunter I responded. I watch the guy get closer and closer to us. Finally I decided I was going to let him know we were already set up so I turned my flasher on and after a minute he flashed back at us. The guy continues and sets up 153 yards from us.

At day break I start working a gobbler on the roost. This gobbler RUNS on a string at our decoy spread and our "friend" takes a pop shot at him at 80 yards. I know this cause I ranged it.

To add to it the guy called for the next 2 hours straight. And his calling was less then desirable and LOUD. To add to that every single time the dude heard me call he called more and louder.

Next I see two gobblers working the ridge towards us. I let them know we were here and I shut up because I didn't want our "friend to keep calling.

The birds are now within a 80 yards from us and our "friend" can now see them. He starts calling like a mad man. It is evident they are working into our decoys and he won't shut up. He keeps calling, and calling, and calling..... The birds hang up at 45 yards. After 15 or so minutes they do a 180 and are gone!

I can't help but think our "friend" flucked it up not once but twice for us!

Our friend left at 10 AM." I let things settle down for about an hour and did some light calling. Behold I look out and see 2 hens and a tom in the draw below us about right where that guy had been sitting. I call for a bit and quit as we are running out of time. We start packing up and wouldn't you know it a tom comes in silent and we spook him. By then I had had my fill. It was real hard for me to keep my cool. :rant This is the end of my rant!

I have to wonder if our "friend" was ignorant or just out right disrespectful.

9. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, that really sucks Heckler. Sounds like he was both ignorant and disrespectful.

I had an eventful morning as well. My wife and I had the blind set up and ready to go where I saw 3 gobblers strutting the other day. And of course, they weren't roosted there. I heard them about 600 yards away. I called a little to let them know I was there and here they came. Not only those 3 started coming in, but 2 more gobblers started coming in from the other side of the field as well. They kept getting closer and closer, but couldn't see our decoys because of a small levee that runs through the middle of the field. By the time they were about 200 yards away, they hooked up with some hens and that was it for the time being.

I ended up getting set up on the 3 again, but we played cat and mouse all morning until I finally had to leave to head to work. Before I left, got a good look at them. One had a nice 10 1/2" beard, one had a beard about the same length with a 2nd beard a couple inches long, and the third had a 11+" beard with a 2nd beard about 9" long. My wife was getting frustrated about mid-morning and said she wanted us to take our shotguns tomorrow. We'll see what happens. I would love to shoot that big double beard, but I really want to shoot him with my bow. He would probably go to the taxi if I happen to get him. I may have to end up taking my gun tomorrow and trying with my bow later on when I'm by myself. It's really hard to run and gun with 2 people using bows.

10. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Alissa Kay. Is tomorrow your big day!!!??? or are you going to wait for the weekend?

Trevor, Will you post your bird on the scoreboard?

Snake, When are you going out next?

gltomp, How are you holding up with all this turkey talk? May 1st will be here before you know it. Have you been out scouting / listening for birds?

I am pretty much done for this week and doubt I will get to hunt much if any at all this weekend. Possibly Sunday.... Good in a way I suppose.

I am nursing a pinched never or something. Right now I can't lift my head up without a tremendous amount of pain that runs down the back of my neck into my left shoulder blade. Left and right movement is uncomfortable as well. I hope it gets better with time and a lot of ibuprofen.

11. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went this morning and called in 6 different gobblers, all to 25 yards or less. The bad part is that none of them went home with us. My wife and I were having trouble communicating and nothing worked out for us. I'll be back at it again tomorrow, but I'll be by myself. It might make things a little easier not trying to double up. I still haven't decided if I will take the gun or bow tomorrow. Nothing is just too greened up yet, so it'll be pretty tough to try and run and gun with a bow. And I hate sitting in ground blinds. We'll see what kind of mood I'm in tomorrow morning I guess. The bow is sounding better and better as I'm typing this though....

12. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You guys are killing me!!!
    I haven't set foot on the large farm yet to scout, probably will this weekend.

13. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a perfect opportunity to get in there early with a ground blind and bag one with your bow! You know they are in there!

14. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Snake... KILL ONE!

15. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm gonna have to take the bow in the morning, the temptation is just too great. I think I can get it done. Hopefully anyways, haha. I just hate not having the mobility to run and gun when I have to hunt out of a blind. It feels like my opportunities get cut in half.

16. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hear you loud and clear on the blind. There are just to many benefits not to use one bow hunting. Setup the blind and see if you can bag a bird early. If not leave the blind and run and gun! That is what I have done in the past and it seems to be a great compromise! I have even taken both a shotgun and bow with me for this very purpose!

17. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I park right on the road that goes through the center of the property, so I can leave my gun in the truck and grab it if need be. I guess I'll take the blind and try and set up on the same birds again. That big double beard needs to die tomorrow. Did I mention that he was one of the birds that I called in today? Had both double beards standing at 10 yards and the nice single beard at 5 yards looking straight at us. I really wish my wife would've been turned for the shot on that! I doubt there would've been much of a head left.

18. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well it sounds you may have educated him. Hopefully he is like Charlie Brown and makes the same mistake more than once. :p

19. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    None of them took off. They just turned around and walked back the way they came without giving us a shot. I should still be able to call them in again. I hope anyways, cause I think they are all 4 year old birds. I'm pretty sure they are the same 3 that hung out together the past 2 years that nobody could kill.

20. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well??? What happened!!!?