DIY NW Nebraska Merriam Hunt

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Heckler, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone hunted Merriams in northwest Nebraska? I have been scouring the internet the last few days in regards to doing a Merriam hunt in Scotts Bluff or Banner County as it is closets.I am not opposed to going to the extreme northwest corner of the state. There seems to be a good amount of public ground however I have seen quite a bit of conflicting information as far as bird population and number of hunters on WMA.

I am not opposed to paying a reasonable access fee however a full guided hunt does not interest me. Seems there is a number of outfitters that offer DIY semi guided hunts around Crawford, NE. Where ever I end up I want to make sure there is a good population of true Merriam (Snow white mountain birds) and not hybrids.

Any tips or knowledge you have that you are willing to share with me would be greatly appreciated!

Anyone up for a road trip? :) Seriously!!!

2. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man I would love to go, but I can't do it this year due to prior commitments. I definitely would be all for it next year. I'm actually in the planning stages of going on a multi-state hunt next year for a couple weeks. South Dakota, Kansas, and Nebraska are possibilities on that list.

3. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hit me up on this after deer season next year. I will host your KS hunt and then we can head to NE & SD!

4. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hope you are serious, cause I will definitely do it. I can't keep putting off going on out of state hunts. Sooner or later I'm gonna get old, and then I won't feel like doing anything. I will keep in contact with you on this Heckler.

5. brazel_dazel

brazel_dazel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did a public land hunt on Ponderosa WMA just south of Crawford two weeks ago. There were lots of birds gobbling the first morning, but we could just never connect. I think it might have been a tad early in the season, but that whole pine ridge area is loaded with Turkeys. This weekend, I am planning on taking my gf out with the shotgun rather than my bow. We will be hunting closer to Scottsbluff, near cedar canyon WMA. Lots of birds in the area as well.

Also, in terms of paying a guided hunt. I think that you could probably get on some public land birds, the population is doing very well, and two weeks ago we were the only hunters on the 3,000 + acre property. If you see some birds in a farmers field, don't hesitate to knock on a couple doors and ask premission. With turkeys anyway, landowners seem pretty easy going about letting people on to hunt. Message me if you want more details after this weekend, or if you want to try and put together a hunt! Seriously!!!