Question for 870 guys and gals

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by cmonsta, Mar 23, 2014.

1. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone who has a Remington 870 for turkey, I have a quick question. What choke and loads do you use? The Rem xfull that came with mine doesnt seem to pattern great. I know every gun will be a little different but figured Id see if anyone had some recommendations who is using the same gun. Thanks a ton!

2. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use that one that came with it, the super full one....and shoot the Winchester Supreme, 3.5, 2 oz., #6

3. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hunter Specialties Undertaker with 2-3/4" Winchester supreme's

4. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Kicks Gobblin Thunder .655 and Winchester Supreme 3.5 #5. Took me several combo's over the years to settle on this one.

5. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So you guys don't think my modified choke is going to cut it then?? ;)

I'm looking at the Remington x-full turkey/predator choke. Anyone try that one?

6. fatsbucknut

fatsbucknut Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What are you trying to accomplish? A nice killing pattern at 20-30yds or max number of pellets at 40yds? Are you looking to shoot lead or something heavier than lead?

7. Buck Magnet

Buck Magnet Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the 870 Express Mag and I shoot Hevi Shot 3" 2 oz #4's with the H.S. Undertaker choke. It isn't exactly the best long range turkey gun (my buddy has a Mossberg 835 and his combo will kill turkey at 70+ yards all day), but my set up is good to 45 yards all day. My bird last year was shot at just under 50 yards but that is pushing it's limit. I honestly think the shot size has more to do with the kill than anything else. I would rather have a solid one #4 pellet hit than a scatter of 5-#6's.

8. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My old 870 with just a 3" chamber loved winchester supreme #5's with the X-full that came with it.

9. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I spent a ton of money and time a few years ago when I got a dedicated turkey gun and setup my 870. I'm now using an Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike, and 2 1/4 oz 3.5" hevi 13 #6's. It will put 190-210 pellets in a 10" circle every time at 40 yards and I've killed multiple birds past the 50 mark with one being just about 60.

If you want data from guys that have spent a lot of money on patterning, check out the NWTF forums. When I built my setup there were a lot of people with the same results I had using this exact setup but it's been a few years and there may be something better than this released since that I'm not aware of.

Here is a pic of a legit 25lb Bradford County bird that I rolled at just about 60 with this setup. Bang/Flop, he didn't even twitch........

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  10. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the turkey choke made by Remington and I use the three-inch Winchester shells in the black box. Three turkeys dropped ranging from fifteen to thirty yards.

11. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome thank you everyone and sorry for the slow response. I would like decent distance. Not saying 60-70 yards (would love that lol), but 40-50 yards would be nice. I stink at calling birds, so need all the distance I can get out of my gun lol.

12. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Still piggybacking on Cmonsta's thread.... I'm pretty sure I could kill a turkey at 30 yards with the 870 and my modified choke... I'd like to be able to reach out to 60 yards if needed.

I think I'm going to buy the rem. predator/turkey choke. I'll report back how it did. I want to be able to shoot steel/lead/hevishot.

13. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Piggyback all ya need! Yes let us know how it goes. Not sure what Im gonna try yet, running out of time lol

14. fatsbucknut

fatsbucknut Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Keep in mind that the gold standard is 100 pellets in a 10" circle for your effective max range. That amount of pellets can almost ensure that at least one will hit the spine or solid in the noggin. Shooting father greatly increases your risk in wounding. Pellets are just like arrows in that the heavier pellets (hevi13 and Fed heavyweight) will retain their energy longer than lead. The heavier than lead loads are expensive but once you've patterned, each shot should equal a turkey.

For Hevi13 I would shoot either 6 or 7 shot out of a Remington Ventilator .655(if you can find one) or a Jellyhead .660 or .665. Both chokes are relatively cheap (the ventilator is less than $20) and shoot as good or better than any choke on the market. For my 870 & 1187 I shoot #7 out of a ventilator and usually get between 230 and 250 pellets in 10" at 40yds. At 15yds I really have to aim.

For Federal heavyweight you would need to shoot a non ported choke because of the flight control wad. I would shoot a Remington super full (.665) and #7. This stuff is heavier than the hevi shot, there is no reason to shoot anything bigger than #7. I shoot this same set up out of my 870 20ga and it thumps them.

I can't help with lead, i haven't shot it in years.