Time for a new bow, what should I put on it?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jdhd003, Mar 19, 2014.

1. jdhd003

jdhd003 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back into hunting last year after many years out and it's like starting all over again. I'm upgrading from my 20 year old bow to a creed this year and was wondering what accessories people like. Arrows (size and brand) sights, quivers. What should I look into?

2. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of sight do you want a fixed pin or single pin ? I like the mathews and g5 quivers there nice and light and very durable and both can be mounted to the riser. I like the ktech stabs for vibration plus they match the gridlock riser i use it for damping and vibration not to be more stable what do you want in a stab ? Arrow rest hands down QAD hdx none better. Arrows i really like carbon express there great the mayhems and maxima reds or bluestreaks i just ordered blue streak selects cant wait. and broad heads id go with g5 t3s or nap killzones i also ordered the killzone maxx i wanna see the blood trail and devastation they will do the killzone was crazy but the creed is a great bow i hunted with it last year youll love it.

3. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Spot Hogg
    Easton Axis 340s
    QAD Ultra Rest
    Stokerized Stabilizer
    Mathews two piece Quiver / Tight Spot Quiver
    Slick Tricks
    Limbsavers

Enjoy it and good luck!

4. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You will get lots of different opinions. I will compare my preferences to what solocamin1 posted. Choose a fixed pin sight. No fussing with it at the moment of truth. I think the Mathews quivers are very good. I like KTech stabs but don't care what they look like. Performance matters to me. I would NEVER put a QAD on my bow. The ones I had (3) were all junk. I like the NAP Apache Carbon rest. Don't care for CX, the Max hunters I had broke easily. CX is made in Korea. I suggest Easton Axis or ACC, made in USA too. I would not use expandables either. Nothing to fail with a fixed BH. I would use QAD Exodus, Tru-Fire T-1 or NAP Hellrazors without concerns.

So there you go. Lots to choose from I know. It sounds like what solocamin1 uses works for him. That's cool. Try to keep it simple so there is less to go wrong. Try as much as you can and find what works for you. Good luck and have fun.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  5. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You are going to get a million different answers on this thread so what you need to do is let us know what your price ranges are, draw length and draw weight is, distances you will primarily shooting, and anything else you can think of and then we can give you some direction in choosing equipment. Everybody on here is very helpful and friendly so we should be able to help!!

6. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Heres some proof of the blood trails and devastation the Killzone maxx's do. I was def impressed with them, but now I went back to shooting the regular killzones, but in 125gr. Wish the maxx's were available in 125 gr!

Killzone Maxx Blood Trail (1).jpg Killzone Maxx Blood Trail (2).jpg

Entrance:
    Killzone Maxx Entry Hole.jpg

Exit:
    Killzone Maxx Exit Hole.jpg

As far as what to put on your new rig, your def going to get a lot of different answers because in the long run it all comes down to preference. I would just recommend taking a look at what all is out there right now and what would suit your goals of what your trying to get out of your new rig! Best of luck and enjoy it!!!

7. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah your going to get a ton of different answers. Its all personal preference and experience most guys live and die by the products they use. The older guys will fight to the death over a fixed head than an expandable lol ive been there. Also alot of guys on here shoot for the companies or are prostaff members so they have to market there choices but we all have great advice and a ton of experience runs through this forum. It took me years to find out what products to use and trust in and spend my money on youll find out whats worth it and whats not after buying and using it all.

8. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    Thats awesome those pics cant wait to get mine. I know the killzones are awesome i use both 100 and 125g i just thought id see what the maxxs were about. Thats crazy how big that exit hole is.

9. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd look around at products and then come back and ask folks experience with specific products that you liked for whatever reason and try to narrow your choices from there. Most of us have our rig info in our profiles or sig lines...outside of that this way you will just get a lot of biased opinions on stuff that may or may not be readily available to you locally. Also like was mentioned many will depend on the specifics of whatever bow, DW and DL you end up with and budget you have to work with.

Personally I like my setup and wouldn't change anything about it (listed in my sig) and I'm a strong supporter of fixed blades too with ~30 years of hunting experience. The way I see it, a decent placed shot with a fixed is a sure fatality and I can't honestly say that's the case with expandables. I have had zero issues with my rest either.

10. josh97

josh97 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Broadhead wise G5 t3's maybe the havocs or the KIllzones.

11. jd4055

jd4055 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    HHA and some victory vforces's tipped with a swhacker. Can't go wrong. From what i've seen victory are by far the strongest arrows on the market. Just my opinion.

12. jdhd003

jdhd003 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the ideas, I always like to do a little research on products before I buy, but now I have some good gear to look at. Can't wait to get the bow and get outside shootin it! Thanks again everyone!

13. almightynut

almightynut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would do you homework on a lot of thing out there. I just got back into bow hunting last year after not doing it for 7-8 years and a lot has change in that time and didn't do my home work at when I got the things I got I just got the bow I wanted and got cheap accessories to go with it and then I started doing homework and realized I didn't do it right. So this year every but the bow and rest is changed. And I did go to hunter friend.com and looked the info they have on there pretty good stuff if your new or just getting into bow hunting again so look around see what you come up with first before buying anything.

14. trvsmarine

trvsmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Everybody is different and has a different opinion on the best bow brand, sights, rests, broadheads etc....alot of that is learned from trial and error and buying products to find out they arent for you. Your pretty much going to have to do the same. Other than that I would head to a store and pickup a Hunting Gear Review magazine. That will give you alot of products and some unbiased reviews

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

15. Mkwa Hunter

Mkwa Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Buy an APA

Sent from my iDen

16. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    HHA Sight and QAD HDX Rest.

Tags: