Hang on or climber stand?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Jhauschultz, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Jhauschultz

Jhauschultz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to be hunting public land and am going to invest in a stand what is the preference, climber or hang on? I am looking at the lone Wolfe series...I am going to want to move throughout the day and set up later in the day for evening hunts... Also what is a good hight to set up at? Thanks

2. Tiny_MN

Tiny_MN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would purchase a hang-on over a climber. You may decide to go in a tree that a climber won't due because you can't cut branches, etc. Or, it has a kink/bend in it.

I have an Alpha2 with sticks. Usually, I have my stand in the 15-20' height range.

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A lot depends on your area. There are many that swear by climbers, but they'd be nearly useless where I live. I wouldn't be able to hunt out of 2/3's of my trees with a climber.

My Preference is the versatility of a hang-on & sticks. I suggest getting at least 4 sticks. With practice you'll be able to get set up atop 4 or 5 sticks quickly. The only two times I clocked my self this season I was hunting in just over 12 min on 4 sticks and just over 16 min on 5 sticks. That's starting the timer then taking the stand off my back to seated, bow on hanger ready to hunt.

Love My Lone Wolves :tu:

4. woodsy211

woodsy211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If finances allow I would say it would be good to have both. I hunt out of a climber quite a bit, but sometimes u just cant find a suitable tree. If you decide to use a climber, go in ahead of time and pick out several stand locations, that way u can cut any branches that may cause a problem. I like set stands also, but it seems more time consuming for me to set them up. If I`m hunting an area where my stand wont get stolen, I prefer a setstand.

5. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like Fitz said if you have lots of good climber trees then get a climber. I use one all year and am very mobile with it. I can setup very fast and quiet. I like the comfort of the climber vs a lock on. Still use em but prefer a climber. I usually setup around 18ft.

6. Jhauschultz

Jhauschultz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks that info is helpful I think I'm going to go with the alpha II and sticks... This is my first year hunting so hopefully it's a fruitful one :)

7. woodsy211

Dislikes Received:
    good luck with your purchase! Make sure to get a good harness too.

8. Jhauschultz

Jhauschultz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am in northern Wisconsin and hear a lot of negatives about the trees for climbers but will have to look into it a lil more I guess I figure at least I can get out and hunt this year without very much experience in a hang on lol

9. woodsy211

Dislikes Received:
    For a climber u will wanna look for trees that don't have any limbs below where u plan on sitting. If most of the trees have a lot of limbs then a hangon will be your best bet.

10. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't rule out a ladder stand either. If you're lucky sometimes you find a magical spot that you can put up a stand that doesn't require being moved. I've had my ladder stand in the same spot for 3 years and deer are all over it (too bad I've passed them all this year though). Hang ons seem to be the way to go though, unless you're hunting public or heavily used land.

11. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You should be happy with your lone wolf purchase. As for height, I've ways been a 20' up type guy. Now I look to get as low as cover will allow. Good back cover is more important than just trying to reach a specific height. Best of luck!

12. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Check your local game laws on this, Wisconsin does not allow stands to sit overnight on public land and I think a lot of states have the same rule. Ladder stands are great but not for public land.

13. Tiny_MN

Tiny_MN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also check laws for trimming of trees and branches. Many states do not allow it, which may cause issues with climbers.

14. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The type trees you hunt are the best way to decide the type stand you use. You can use a lock on anywhere... not so much with a climber.

15. CoryTN

CoryTN Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Both are great stands. If you get a hang on i recommend a lone wolf. If you get a climber i recommend a summit, both are great companies. In east tennessee there is a lot of climbable trees so i prefer my climber. I have a Summit Viper SD, its basically a recliner on a side of a tree.

16. dthbyhoyt

dthbyhoyt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A climber will let you move from tree to tree a lot easier , as far as height , climb as high as you are comfortable , try and keep limbs or other trees close to you to help break up your figure ..