**** Team 9 Double Lung Liquidators *****

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by bowhunter448, Aug 19, 2013.

1. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Alarm set for AM, going to be windy but last two weekends of season are filling up with commitments...sure hope tomorrow is not my last hunt this season. Major cold front coming on Sunday...possible -35 Monday morning...hope deer sense this and moving tomorrow morning.

2. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Let us know how it goes!

3. wibowhntr

wibowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't see a deer until after hunting hours. Getting ready to head out for one last hunt(our season ends tomorrow). Hopefully something big is still carrying his antlers(many of our bucks have shed already).

4. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully!

5. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well apparently I forgot about a late season doe archery in Unit 19 here. I need to find a place in the unit to hunt but last year I know there was some walk in along the Kansas river that looked pretty good. The late season comes in the 20th and runs to the 31st. See what I can do then.

Also have started looking at what I am going to do this off season. Thinking hard about making the switch to a thumb release. Would like to upgrade my rest and sight but thats just wait and see how the money falls and I will be putting new strings on my bow. Really don't see a big change in my set up coming though. My biggest thing I want to go for is being in better shape for season. I was better this year than I was last year it made several things easier to do. This year I want to take the next step in that direction.

Hope everyone had a good new year. I was in bed by my usual 9 pm on New Years eve. Can't remember the last time I watched the ball drop.

6. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Let us know how it goes. Must be nice to forget about a tag!

7. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    Well - enjoyable hunt again on Sat morning - but no arrows fired:(
    Saw 8 does again, 3 got to about 50 yds, then I felt wind swirl and they got a little spooky and headed back direction they came. A lot of tracks in the snow so that was a good sign. Our season ends 1/18, that weekend is looking to be totally shot, and next weekend now has a Basketball tourney for my 4th grader...going to try for 1-2 more hunt during week over next two weeks.

Sure would like to top my freezers back off with a deer - as we have been hitting the elk meat pretty hard.

Good luck to any of you on your final hunts...I always look forward to the off season as well and starting the process all over again. Got a few house projects to tackle this year, so that will be my motivation to get them done and back to shooting/planning for next fall.

8. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you had a good season. Good luck if you get out there.

9. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No so much I forgot about the tag than I forgot about that season. In KS when you buy a tag the first one is good for any deer any season and the second-how ever many is good for antlerless any season. I believe this is the first year we have this late archery antlerless season. Just didn't even think about it really. Just was double checking the dates for the antlerless firearms and noticed the antlerless archery in Unit 19. Unit 19 goes around Topeka, Lawrence and Kansas City connected by land about mile either side of I70 that runs through those three cities. Kind of hard to hunt since its illegal in the city limits and the vast majority is privately owned and very little if any walk in. The walk in that was there last year isn't slated for walk in now so thats a bust. My buddy says he nows a couple land owners on the river but I'm not holding my breath for that especially so late.

10. wibowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Well I went out Saturday afternoon and like most of my season didn't see a deer.

11. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    How much longer is your season?

12. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    Counting down the days here...looks like I can get out this Saturday morning, and the following Friday evening...really hope to squeeze one other sit in, but schedule is tight. Sure love getting out those last few times in late season.

Sure would like to see one more harvest photo and story for Team 9...and doesn't have to be me - good luck to those that might get a couple more sits!

13. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I think it would be cool for you to be our season ending deer down story. You have put a lot into this team.

14. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I went and picked up an Arc'teryx backpack today. Did a little modification (removed the rubber bumper on the straps so I can cinch it down) and now I have a pack that will hold my bow on my back and out of my way. And as a bonus, it has a couple of velco straps so I now have a way to carry my spotting scope. Also, took my bow to the pro shop to make sure there was nothing out of alignment since the string hits the stop. Nothing is out of alignment and they recommended replacing the stop with a Mathews stop.

15. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Here is that bag with my spotting scope and tripod attached.

Attached Files:

16. wibowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Season ended on the 5th.

17. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    What "lessons" did you learn that you will take with you next season and into the future?

18. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody get out over the last couple of days?

19. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    Tim,
    Season ends Sunday here - I'm out of town Sat and have 3 basketball games Sunday...tomorrow is last possible chance - and not looking good so far:(

Still holding out hope - I at least like knowing when I go that it was my last hunt of season...wasn't thinking that last weekend...let's see what tomorrow brings.

20. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I'll help with the hope. I know that you've put a lot into your season, especially with as busy as you have been. Good luck tomorrow and hopefully you put something down!