Wisconsin hunters, I have questions.

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Greg.Johnston, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Greg.Johnston

Greg.Johnston Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The wife and I have been toying with the idea of which state we'd like to eventually settle in and my mind of course went straight to hunting, and the limits and laws that come along with it. I'm sure I'll eventually read the hunting and trapping digest front to back if we ever actually settle on wisconsin, but right now wisconsin is our top choice, so I'm wondering what are the limits for hunting deer in wisconsin, how many deer can you take per year, with a bow, with a gun, bucks, does, limits on points for bucks??..etc. Any info is much appreciated!

2. gunther89

gunther89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you hunt in the CWD zone they give you 4 free doe tags a day and you get 2 doe tags and a buck tag I believe on each license. If you shoot a buck first then it becomes earn a buck so if you shot 5 does then you would have 5 buck tags. You can basically shoot unlimited amounts of deer in the CWD zone.

3. stillmanchad

stillmanchad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    At this point it all depends on what zone you're looking at. The majority of the southern portion of the state….east to west is CWD. the DNR will allow you to shoot as many deer as you want for the most part. I don't like the way the state is currently managing CWD zones…but oh-well.

4. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree.. the CWD "management" is nothing but a political scandal. CWD has been out west for years.
    ok back to the topic.
    In non-cwd zones you get a buck tag and two doe tags with your archery license, and for gun you get one buck tag and one doe tag. There are no point restrictions, but if you get in the right areas (or pretty much anywhere) you can practice some sort of quality management if you so choose. And since a good portion of the people do... well, when in Rome... :)

5. Greg.Johnston

Dislikes Received:
    Excellent, I like to hear all that, I was worried it would be more like Minn. where you can shoot like one deer a year.. I'm not sure which zone I'd be in, we were thinking of setting up within a half hour of Madison and I heard that some good land can be bought or leased in Adams county kinda north of Madison. Thanks for all the input. Wisconsin just made it to the top of the list.

6. trvsmarine

trvsmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fondulac county wi has the number one typical and non typical for bow...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

7. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Are you set on only hunting whitetails? If not, WI isn't the place for you. If you are, WI may not be the place for you either. Access to good land isn't easy and there isn't much great public land where you can slaughter a lot of deer. If I was looking to relocate because of hunting, it would be out west where there's more to hunt and better access, sure the heck not WI.

8. Greg.Johnston

Dislikes Received:
    Looking to stay mainly in the midwest probably within a few hours drive of the chicago area, as thats where mine and my wife's family is located. Thats why Wisconsin showed up near the top of the list, still plenty of deer to shoot, probably some turkeys, upland and waterfowl I imagine isn't quite lacking either. I may consider big game like elk, moose, antelope, ect. but only as special once every few years type trips.. We've been looking into buying a house with some land around it..at least partially timber preferably, and then buying a few hundred acres of timber somewhere 5-10 years down the road.

9. wi p&y

wi p&y Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if your coming here for hunting stay out of walworth county in the cwd zoned its terrible down here. 74 sits on the stand this year seen deer on 8 sits. 12 cams on 5 properties 1 shooter. this part of the state is destroyed. i even have a email from thr dnr after showing them the stats and pics this year telling me to try a county to the north cause they knew that the county is ruined and will be for years to come.

10. Scrapelinehunters

Scrapelinehunters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Iowa county is about 30 minutes from the west side on Madison. Iowa county has some good public hunting grounds and if you do your home you can have some great hunts. I would buy a Gazette book that has public hunting in it (Ill put a link below). This is a great starting place. The Wisconsin DNR site can also be helpful. Wisconsin Atlas and Gazetteer: Delorme: 9780899333311: Amazon.com: Books

11. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^ Not Correct.

1 buck with gun statewide.
    1 buck with bow/crossbow statewide.
    Does vary by unit. Some are no does, some (CWD/CWD outlying zone) you can buy up to one doe tag per day.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/deer.html