Habitat-Optimal Camouflage invented

Discussion in 'Manufacturers, Press, and Pro-Staff' started by Wahoo75, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Wahoo75

Wahoo75 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Habitats come in all varieties and seasons. What is the perfect variety for the place you want to be? Finding the exact answer to this question is what a new discovery is all about.

A provisional US Patent was just awarded for a newly-discovered algorithm for creating habitat-optimal camouflage. Here is the Press Release: Provisional US Patent Awarded for Algorithm to Create Theoretically-Optimal Camouflage | PRLog

This algorithm identifies specific combinations of colors and markings (taken together called a "pattern") which exist in nature to produce the “optimal pattern”. This optimal pattern is then perfected--for any specific habitat and season--using current processing methods.

An interesting observation of the algorithm is that "evolutionarily-optimal ambush camouflage" never looks like member of the plant kingdom--plants don't hide.

Instead, the Press Release explains that optimal camouflage looks more like a member of the animal (reptile) kingdom.

Wherever one is on Earth, indigenous in-season optimal ambush camouflage can now be quickly developed and economically produced, based on the algorithm—no more guess-work is required.

2. patientz3ro

patientz3ro Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm curious to see how they determine the colors and markings for a specific area. I mean, do they scan a picture of an area and have the computer analyze the image to determine what colors are there and in what amounts?

I can see this being a foundation for developing adaptive camouflage.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  3. Wahoo75

Wahoo75 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It was developed by a math company

I'm wondering too. According to the PR, they developed an algorithm. I understand that an algorithm is a "structured process"--like something based on a formula. I looked the names of the inventors up, and one of them is all over google. He is a scientist mathematician who has worked on all sorts of projects, in medicine, economics, engineering, fishing, weather prediction. All their projects that I've seen online are based on math, and it is all done on computers, that I can tell.

4. Wahoo75

Wahoo75 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Public display of three proprietary habitat-optimal ambush camouflage designs developed under the ODA LLC patent is scheduled for the annual Fred Hall Show in Long Beach next March. The patterns are optimized for highlands of the Middle East, deserts of the Middle East, and tropical forests of Central and South America.

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh that's great because I plan on going hunting in all three of those locations next fall, lol.

6. Wahoo75

Wahoo75 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully not there! :-) There is a giant military presence in Long Beach and San Diego, so maybe that's why the applications displayed there have military applications. I'd guess North American patterns are probably going to be displayed at a hunting show, but that is only a guess.

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Haha, yeah I get it, I was just kidding around with ya.:p

I'm looking forward to seeing what it's all about...but if they present clothing with candy sprinkles on all of it I'm going to blow a fuse, lol. :lol: