Too Young to Hunt?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by 400excracer, Dec 11, 2013.

1. 400excracer

400excracer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lately I have seen a lot of photos on Facebook pages of 6 and 7 year old kids shooting (gun) deer. I personally dont think that a kid that young should be shooting a deer with a high powered rifle no matter what kind of supervision they have. Here in Wisconsin you are allowed to hunt at 10 years old as long as you have an adult right next to you. You arent even allowed to take hunter safety till you are 11. I started when I was 12 and I thought that was plenty young enough. My oldest started hunting this year because he turned 12. What are your thoughts?

2. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think its great to grow kids up in the outdoors and hunting. See it all the time and support it. If a kid can effectivly place a round or arrow at the target then yes they should be allowed to harvest a deer.

3. jpb813

jpb813 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In my family 10 years old has been the rule of thumb. That being said, I think I would aim for 11 or 12 with my kids

edit: I think it's important to get kids out in the woods hunting before they make the shot. That way it's not completely new to them when it's finally their turn

4. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Texas has no minimum and 4 yo kids kill deer with a .223 every year. The risk is scarring the kid with a bad experience and not understanding gun safety, and why he is killing bambi. If it's legal so be it. Many kids are messed up by parents from many worse things then a bad hunting experience.

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am aiming at 13 years old with both my oldest daughter and 9 year old son. That being said, every family and kid is different. If someone feels comfortable taking their young kid hunting and the kid has displayed awesome gun safety, go for it.

Heck, Gri22ly used to walk around Kentucky at 10 years old with a loaded pistol strapped to his leg! HAHAHAHA.

6. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My kids are 7 and 9 and they hunt with me from time to time. I won't let them shoot unless I am 100% sure of the target and what's beyond it. It makes things easier here because we are shotgun only though. I don't think I'd let them pull the trigger on my .06

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do question how a 6 year old was able to shoulder a 243, get the deer in the scope and make a clean kill shot myself, but I think that it is in the best interest of our sport to introduce children at a young age to hunting. Before they get interested in other things. Today, kids are involved in so much, and by the time they are 10, they are already deep into activities. My daughter plays tournament basketball during the winter and is a pitcher for a competitive travel softball team. This takes up a lot of our time, some of that time would be time we could be spending in the woods together. We are going to try and make time for that as well though because I believe it is important to instill the importance of hunting into our youth today. If not, in the not so distant future, we could lose sight of the history and tradition of hunting.

8. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If the kid can handle it then why not I started when I was 7 my kids not quite ready at 8 but now shes 12 and ready to roll now my buddies son is 8 and started this year but has been in the stand since 6 any kid that is willing to put that kind of time in a stand deserves the right to be able to hunt. I feel once they prove they want to actually be there for the hunt and not to just shoot then they should be allowed.

9. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My girls are 6 and 3 years old. I figure I will let them tell me when and if they want to go hunting. If they don't. That's fine too.

10. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My son took his first deer this year at age 8.
    He been shooting since age 6 with progression from bb to rim fire to center fire.
    I can honestly say I trust him around a firearm more than most people and some police officers.
    I think it has to do more with each child's individual maturity level and THEIR desire to hunt.
    As long as they are safe and have an understanding of what's going on , I think its up to the parents to decide if they're ready. The child should decide when they're ready.

11. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think it all depends on the kid. If they are capable of shooting at that age, then why not? I don't think the age should dictate it, it should be their ability to shoot accurately in a hunting situation. If they are fully supervised, as in sitting directly with the parent......I'd be fine with a 6 y/o taking a deer assuming they were a decent shot.

12. GhostRack

GhostRack Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wish the age here was alot lower then what it is...my boy always loved goin to my stands n shootin pellet gun..but now its all about other crap ...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  13. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My dad started taking me when I was 5, I had a little .357 rifle that my mom actually still uses to this day. It wasn't a big deal at all but I have seen a lot of little kids I wouldn't trust with a bb gun even when they are 15....
    Started going on my own by the time I was 7 and bowhunting when I was 7 as well wit ha little Bear youth compound bow that I still have.

14. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's great when a state actually allows the PARENT to make that decision. My son just shot his first deer this year at 9 years old and I would not have taken him out if I did not think he was capable and proficient enough with the weapon. These days with video games and all the other distractions out there IMO you have to start them younger if you want a chance to keep them involved in it.

15. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To add - We have 6 and 7 year old kids carrying Red Riders and other BB guns that hunt with us in the Adirondacks. A few of those kids will do 5-10 miles in a day on foot with us with no complaints and are absolutely thrilled to hang with the guys and get to "carry" a gun too. All of the guys work with them to make sure they are carrying safe, loading and unloading at the appropriate times, fingers off the triggers, know how to drive and watch, read a compass, etc. I couldn't imagine a better thing to be doing with a kid of that age.

We also have a camp .22 for the kids and plink with them quite a bit when we are not actually hunting, there are at least two of the kids in camp that aren't old enough to hunt legally that can absolutely shoot better than half the adults in camp based on what I've seen while plinking with them. If my son is able to shoot well enough and is too young to hunt wherever I'm living at that point you can bet we will be making a trip to hunt somewhere that he can participate.

16. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Then don't take YOUR kids until you believe it's time.

My kids started at 8

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

17. crohunter

crohunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    in my country nothing before 18 years, and you must pass the hunter exam, than you must get police permission to hold a firearm, what a cr..!

18. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think is is 10 here but any legal decision pertaining to the kids and hunting would be based on their desire and my judgement. We mostly bow hunt and my son is a great shooter. Daughter asked for a rifle and my ears perked up. Kids under 10..you be your own "legal observing" parent.

19. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would pack it up and book a flight!

20. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    The key word in your statements are in bold above. That's what you think. Apparently you didn't feel your kid was ready until he was 12, which they may not have been. But, just because your kid wasn't ready doesn't mean mine won't be ready.

FYI, I was pushing for WI to lower the age to 8.