2013 – Southern IN. lease in review – Long read

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Bone Head Hunter, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    During the season I was asked by some of you to create a post at the end of the hunting season recapping the success we had during 2013 on our lease. I got the feeling that there were a lot of skeptics about the authenticity of the post I was making this year, but that is understandable. I have to admit that I’m guilty of the (it’s too good to be true) mentality myself all the time!

Before I do I want to back up to well over a year ago when I joined BH.com. At that time we had just acquired a new piece of ground and were looking for some new members to help support the cost of it. That was in August of 2012 so we were pushed to fill the openings quickly. We basically advertised on the site for some out of state bow hunters. I have to say that we ruffled some feathers in our approach, and were told so in short order. Granted it was the first time we ever tried to go outside our circle to find new members, and our approach was not the correct way to go about it.

There were a couple of reason for trying to get out of state guys--- the obvious being that those hunters would not add severe pressure on the new property due to limited hunting opportunities. We recognized that this new piece of ground had the potential to be special but needed time. Also, it has living quarters that would allow folks coming in to hunt to have a place to stay, and not have the additional cost for room and board. This would help keep the cost down for a non-resident and make the offer more attractive. The other reason was that this farm was to be a carrot for the lease managers for all the work they put in during the off season. It has the potential to be the shining star of all the farms.

Any way-- In the end we stayed in our circle and filled it with a couple of local guys and added two guys from Michigan that contacted us after they found out about us from a common friend.

Base camp on the new lease property that we acquired last year:
    [​IMG]

Background on the lease:
    We started leasing because we were hunting public ground or sharing private properties with several other hunters. We wanted to have a place where we could hunt better than average bucks, and not have the pressure that comes with guys that don’t have those same goals. We started with four of us on 500 acres the first year. We took a couple of nice bucks and were hooked.

Over the past ten years we have continued to acquire new farms that became available. As our lease acreage grew so did our membership to support it. The total lease acreage now is around 3000 acres on 10 farms. There are 15 members in the lease. We have 70+ stands scattered across the lease properties. They are a combination of lock-on’s, ground blinds and ladders. Food plots and mineral sites are maintained by the managers with help of the members. Trail cams are ran most of the year. When needed; we do some supplemental feeding during bad winters. We carry a million dollars liability insurance on all lease properties, including coverage for the owners. All our leases our under contract for a 5 year time frame. This allows us the time to develop the age structure needed to have mature animals. In past years we have never taken more than a few big bucks off the leases in any one year. We always have had good carry over from year to year.

Fast forward to this year:
    In August I posted some of the better buck running the lease. We always get new some comers every year and also some dispersal of the bucks we get pictures of, but we had a solid base to start the season with.

You may remember these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The year hadn’t even started when we had one of the big bucks shot over Labor Day weekend by a poacher. He was found dead in the creek a week later when we were hanging some last minute stands. We were able to secure the head working with the local CO. The process was a pain but we finally got the rack secured legally. He end up scoring around 160 as a 9 point.

Quad- Poached on Labor Day found the following weekend.

[​IMG]

The first week of season saw six doe’s hit the dirt on the lease.
    This was my opening day doe
    [​IMG]

In the second week on the 12th our number one (Stickers) was taken.
    [​IMG]

Another one on the hit list followed the next day on the 13th by the 77 year old father of the guy that took our number one. (Widebrow - an old basic 6 point)
    [​IMG]

In the third week this huge 8 point fell on the 16th. (Bubba)
    [​IMG]

This 8 point was next on the 17th. (Great Eight)
    [​IMG]

In the fourth week this ancient 8 point fell on the 26th (Sky Scrapper)
    [​IMG]

In the fifth week a good 10 point fell on 30th. New comer to the lease.
    [​IMG]

In the sixth week on 11/5 another good 10 point fell. New comer to the lease.
    [​IMG]

On the 7th yet another great 10 point fell. New comer to the lease.
    [​IMG]

On the 8th I scored on this 10 Point. (Knobs)
    [​IMG]

On the same evening of the 8th, and on the same farm this 8 point also fell. (Super Eight)
    [​IMG]

In the eighth week on 11/23 this buck fell in the morning. A first buck for this fellow (Wide Eight)
    [​IMG]

Also on 11/23 in the evening this ancient old warrior fell. New comer to the lease
    [​IMG]

2. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great Read!

3. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice!

4. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    awesome! yall are definitely doing it right up there!

5. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    We"re trying.. This year has seen an above average harvest of good ones...

6. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok since you put it that way, I believe you now. ;)

How much per person? Heckler said he would pay my way.

7. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well if there was an opening it would be around $1250 for bow hunting only, and $1600 if it was all seasons all weapons..

Like Heckler would ever shell out any cash to lease ground--- let alone pay for you.. He is all about free hunting on farm ground he supports with his mighty tax dollars! :lol:

You see where that's getting him don't ya! :evilgrin:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  8. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How do you guys determine who hunts where? does every member have access to all 3000 acres?

Good to see some great bucks coming out of southern Indiana it gives me hope for the future of my place! LOL

9. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    All stands are first come first serve. We all do our best to make sure we don't encroach on one another. We use all means of communication to make sure this doesn't happen.

Access really depends on how you buy into the lease.. You could have all access to everything, or just parts of it. We managers have our own places that we segregate from the hunting opportunities that are included in the total acres. We usually invite other members to hunt with us on these farms.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  10. MartinBowShooter

MartinBowShooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a grest place! Are you still getting some pictures of good bucks?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

11. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Well good luck in the future. It seems like you guys are doing it the right way! keep us updated if and when you take inventory after the season is over to see what good bucks have survived the season.

12. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep.. Just got a pic of one yesterday..

13. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for putting all of those great bucks in one post.

I love seeing good, Hoosier bucks on the ground.

You guys definitely have something special going on down there.

14. SWitchBacKXT

SWitchBacKXT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very good read

15. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So you went 12/15 on buck tags filled?

16. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep...

It's not likely to happen again in a long time. Like I said normally we only get a handful of nice ones. I hope I'm wrong and we do it again next year too...

17. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Good post, great Bucks! What part of southern IN? Im in pike!

18. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a survivor

[​IMG]

19. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    All of it is south of Columbus and scattered over a few counties.

I'm just a tad bit protective of naming the counties.. :)

20. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bone, from everything you have said I wouldn't be shocked if over the coming years you guys fill tags at a 60-75% clip or higher given how strict you guys manage what is harvested. On your property the survival rate of yearlings and under producing (inches wise) 2 1/2 and 3 1/2s will always get to walk.

Do you guys wipe out the spread or inch minimum if say you have a bonafide 5 year old or so buck just not scoring very high?