why carbon arrows and not aluminum?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Kansasbuck, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Kansasbuck

Kansasbuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    seems most everyone uses carbon arrows, so why are they so much better? Only reason I ask is that its getting near impossible to find aluminum arrows these days and I need some, so sell me on why I need carbons.

2. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's hard to bend a carbon arrow. :)

3. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Carbon wont stay bent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. horus11b

horus11b Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Carbon has a stiffer spine with a smaller diameter shaft, This means more penetration generally. Carbons shoot faster, fly straighter.... You can always order some xx75's if your really stuck on aluminum, but today's carbon arrows are leaps and bounds beyond aluminum.

5. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Aluminum after a bad shot - (
    Carbon after a bad shot. - I
    You see?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seriously? I mean really...seriously?...

7. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I still like aluminum for the assortment of weight ranges... hard to find though... so I shoot carbon. I don't think they are better but... carbon does just fine. Durable but I have never had an aluminum shatter during a shot... I have had that happen three times with carbon.

8. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Stop using 55 gallon drums for target practice? Or turn your bow down from 150 pounds to 70....lol.

9. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    I mean at the shot... not at impact. I think I figured out that I am scarring my arrows when I remove old vanes for re-vaning.

10. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Because it's 2013! (GRIN)

11. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I almost peed my pants from laughing when I read this Covey!

12. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like carbon for the speed and accuracy but the aluminum wont split if you hit a tree.

13. Legion_Edge

Legion_Edge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is probably the closest thing I have ever seen to drunk txt. But on a serious note there are about 100 reasons as to why Carbon are better. But for me they last longer on squirrel kills!

14. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Well... I almost did the other in my pants the first time I had an arrow explode.

15. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I was mostly just joking around so if this was a serious question...I'll just add....I hated Aluminum arrows, they don't shatter but they bend and get ruined far easier than a carbon tends to split when shot into a tree (stop shooting trees?) At 70#dw, an aluminum, shaft is the easiest POS in the world to get messed up....might as well pull off a couple straight pieces of solder wire and shoot that as aluminum shafts....total junk. Carbon arrows (quality arrows) are dependable and as forgiving as anything archers are ever likely to be blessed with. I rarely ever had an aluminum shaft pass through a deer and spin out well enough to reuse, carbons...I reuse passed through arrows twice this year and they are perfectly fine. The only one I ruined was a shoulder shot and broke from the shoulder snapping it which would have ruined an aluminum shaft from the impact alone (if it even penetrated).

I couldn't get away from aluminum crap shafts fast enough....

If you genuinely like aluminum better then I hope you have some luck finding them.

16. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Well I kind of agree with you... and I don't know to which aluminum shafts you are referring, but high quality XX75 are pretty tough to bend for me. I do agree carbon shafts last a bit longer, but it would usually take several years for me to use up a dozen aluminum arrows shooting every day.

I do shoot carbon... but I wish there was a heavier shaft option. I would like to find one that weighs in somewhere around 14-16 GPI without it costing more than my bow. Heavier shafts are whisper quiet and hit really hard and I never experienced bending problems unless I was shooting those cheap Game-getters.

17. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can just use heavy broadheads and inserts as well as weight tubes for your arrows. Personally I am scared to use a weight tube because I feel like it would mess with the spine and my accuracy. That saiid never tried kendo it could be fantastic. They make weight tubes all the way up to 8 grains per inch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

18. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    You know, it's been so many years since I used aluminum shafts I can't even recall what I used back in the day to be honest. I was the first one in my area to switch to carbons and was impressed with them from the getgo. Pretty sure I was shooting eastons but as far as a number, no way I can recall that.

Agree with the heavier shafts, that's just fact...you can get carbons in massive weights I think and then there are choices for inserts, etc...to add weight but yeah you're going to get into good money (or bad depending on POV, lol) to get custom arrows that are out of the ordinary.

I've just not had a problem with noisy arrows or bow noise in years since I started buying Hoyt bows. I grew up on Bear equipment and was never completely "happy" with noise, vibration, speed, etc...I killed a heck of a lot of deer with it and granted, that was from the mid 80's when cassette tapes were "cutting edge tech" (lol). Everyone's equipment now, even bargain stuff, is better than the best stuff back then. I still pull out my dad's old Bear every once in a while though and mess with it, lol.

I imagine Tfox can give you some info on what's available in shafts and weights though, I know a lot of the guys here shoot mega heavy (by my standards) finished arrows.

19. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Was going to up my arrow weight after last season. I am almost at the point of needing new arrows so I am waiting until I am out. I am thinking at 30 inches and 70 lb (not 150)15 GPI should be about right. I am careful about messing with my spine stiffness and arrow tubes seem iffy. My Hoyt is pretty quiet though.

20. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, touche.

15 just in shaft alone or finished arrow weight? Or maybe finished not including a broadhead? The latter would put you around a 550 gn finished arrow and I know I've seen guys talk about using finished carbons in that range and higher here on the forums before.

My hunting arrows (finished) are right at that 15 gns/inch, 28" w/100gn bh @425total gns. shooting at 75#. They go through a deer like a hot rod through warm butter.