Team 17- The Most Interesting Bowhunters in the World

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by headstrong, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys I have been really busy with school and have been running a lot of calls with the fire dept. Sunday was non stop all day for us. It was sad to see some people lose everything they had especially this time of year. I haven't had a chance to get out in the wood lately and with the gun season coming up this weekend so I probably won't be able to get out until thanksgiving weekend. My buddy has been home and said he hasn't see much chasing going on during the past weekends so we aren't sure whats going on. Possibly a really late rut? Im just hoping I can see some bucks on their feet when I get back.

2. kskcheche

kskcheche Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had some people tell me the rut is over and others tell me it hasn't begun yet. Out of the 7-9 does I've seen from mon-tues, only one was being chased and one was acting very skiddish but I shot her :). The others were as calm as could be, even when bucks approached to check them out. Id say its just starting to get good.

3. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think the rut started started early this year...last week in October. I hunted from November 2nd to November 11th straight through and saw nothing but young bucks and fawns. I saw very few does and no mature bucks. I believe it was because the mature bucks were locked down with the does and the young bucks and fawns were run off. I think the lock down is over and we'll see some more seeking right now, so hopefully it'll get good again.

I'm most likely wrong, but that's what I experienced.

4. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here in South Dakota the rut is winding down. The mule deer are just kicking in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've never been able to get a good handle on the rut. I'll see a buck or two chasing a doe and not 30 minutes later I'll have lone does walk in and start feeding. I think there are so many does around here that bucks don't have to actively search that hard to find one in heat.

And that's also why we get some small fawns in late summer. Does are going into estrus a 2nd and possibly 3rd time because they didn't get bred. Basically makes for a long and slow rut with intermittent seeking phases.

I do know that my mock scrapes are slammed from October 20th - November 5th or so, and then they become hit or miss.

...also...rattling isn't as effective as some places either. Maybe 5% of the time does it actually bring in a curious buck.

6. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Did you get her with archery equipment? If so we need 2 pictures for the scorecard and the rest of the information.

7. kskcheche

Dislikes Received:
    Nope, its rifle season still till the 26th I believe, then ill be back with a bow again. Although the last deer I shot I could of shot with a bow very easily.

8. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, my shotgun weekend went really well except only seeing one shooter and he was out of range! I ended up taking two mature does and I am happy with that. The first one I am happy I got her but feel bad on how I had to finish her. The other doe I missed her on the first shot and hit her on a run second shot with a direct hit to the heart. Woot Woot!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Soggy McBottom

Soggy McBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice shot Dawg!

10. MN-IN.A.TREE

MN-IN.A.TREE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys. Sorry for my absence lately, i have been really busy with school and a new job.

I could use some prayers though. I just had to put my first dog down at 3.5 yrs old. I had dogs growing up but this one was mine and I am taking it a little harder then I should be for a dog.
    Thanks guys.

11. kskcheche

Dislikes Received:
    I never had pets growing up and now have a dog of my own. She has definitely become one of the family and I can only imagine how hard its going to be when shes gone. You have my sympathy and condolences.

12. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    MN I have been there buddy! They are a family member and it is tough! Thinking of you. This death stuff must be following me not sure why. My sister in law just lost her dad but it was coming he was suffering a lot and half of his heart finally died that put him on a machine. He was taken off and has passed and gone to heaven. RIP Bob you will be missed.

13. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that MN, I too have been busy with school with finals coming up.

Dawg nice work man keep it up and stick a big buck with your bow. :tu:

14. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for your loss brother. Nothing I'd wish on anyone!

15. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will be back home for break so I will be in the stand tomorrow for sure and then when ever I have free time in between eating a ton of food :lol: There is snow on the ground and its low 20s so I hope the deer are on there feet while Im in the stand, all deer need to watch out because somebody is getting an arrow, buck or doe it doesn't matter. :bow:

16. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Other Buck lives! Seen him this evening taking my son hunting on the last day of gun season. Making a move on him in the morning.

[​IMG]

17. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck guys!

18. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Jake: Sorry to hear about your dog. That sucks.

Dawg: Sorry about the loss in your family.

19. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will be out in the morning trying to get some antler for the year! 3 mature does and one button buck down so far and looking for that wall hanger! Bring it on!

20. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks DD! It sure has been a rough year for me and hope to not have this happen to anyone like it has happened to me, my family, and friends.