overdraw for bows?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Kansasbuck, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Kansasbuck

Kansasbuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just wondered when overdraws for bow went out of favor? I remember when they first came out, everyone thought they were great, and greatly increased the speed of the arrow. I never used one, or even was very interested in them, and only now noticed that I don't see anyone talking about them anymore. does anyone use one these days, or what was the "problem" with them so people stopped using them????

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Several reasons. but the short of it is that bow speeds have increased do to cam/ limb/ riser design, with out the need to use an over draw and all the negative that go along with them.

3. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To add to this, arrows have gotten much lighter eliminating the need for a shorter arrow. That was the basic reasoning behind overdraws. Able to shoot a lighter arrow in spine and weight due to the shorter length.

Short overdraws are making a comeback in the archery world due to the , misconception imo, they are more forgiving due to the rest being positioned over the wrist. The flaw in this thought process, ,imo, is that torque occurs at the grip and not the wrist, therefore creating more torque at the rest when torque occurs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

4. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMO - the marginal benefits aren't worth the risks.... Like mentioned - with today's equipment, just no real need...

Link to some pics: Dangers of Carelessness

5. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Drop away rests are short overdraws, but light carbon arrows which can weigh half that of aluminum shafts, 300+ fps bows (once thought impossible), expandable lightweight heads etc... have all made the need for overdraws obsolete. An overdraw today would so reduce arrow weight that the bow would likely explode when fired.