Team 27 - Fall Legends!

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by buckeye, Aug 19, 2013.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good job Simmons! That must feel really good....double lung and all.

Man I had a close call with what would have been my biggest buck to date. At 1045 I had a big 10 point slip by at 20 yds. I couldn't get off a shot because he was walking in and out of cover.

2. Mkwa Hunter

Mkwa Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man, I feel bad team. I have been out 16 times and only seen one set of does with no shooters. Sorry team. I have two all day sit: tomorrow and Monday. Wish me luck.

Sent from my iDen

3. nsimmons

nsimmons Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Neillsville, WI/ Chippewa Falls, WI/ Spooner, WI
    Thanks, it wasn't what I was hoping for at the beginning of the season but it did the job of helping fill the freezer. This season has just sucked where I hunt. Hardly any deer sign, bad weather, late rut, just not all that exciting

I was getting super frustrated on the season. Seemed like every time I went out I had 30 mph winds and raining. I had the same tonight and finally saw my first set of antlers on the year so I had to take it and relieve some of the frustration. Now I going to try and get a doe down as I find shooting one with my bow 100 times better then my gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck! I was in my 10th different tree tonight I think it was my 18th hunt finally saw moly first set of antlers. I sat from 1245 and shot my deer at 330, wind was howling (but in the right direction)

5. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Mkwa, good luck!

6. Elite73

Elite73 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    sorry bout that buddy, your defiantly in our prayers.

7. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Simmons Congrats, way to fill the freezer, and points for our team, WOOO HOOO

8. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, I will likely spend the rest of the season next to my girlfriend now in a tree filming but there might be a chance I take a doe yet but that depends on what we get for deer during gun season

9. 1st Time Hunter

1st Time Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry, long post...But, I had quite the weekend! I left work early on Friday because I was getting all these texts of people getting deer and I was at work. I finally had enough and said, I am leaving at 11am, if anybody needs me...now is your chance! I wanted to be in a tree by 2:30 and I had a 2.5 hour drive to cabin. I got there!

So, Friday night I hunted a stand that has a really nice 14 pointer, a nice wide 9 and a nice 10. It is quite a ways from the cabin so we load up the wheeler in to the truck and head out. My husband hunts about a mile away from me. So, he dropped me off on the logging trail and I walk in to the stand and he tells me...I will pick you up here at dark. Ok! Well, wasn't really thinking ahead because this was my first time going in to this stand alone. I looked at my compass and walked in and went straight to the stand...no problem.

It was windy. I mean...super windy! I wasn't even in the stand 15-20 minutes and 2 spikes come in. They hung around the area for about an hour. They were very edgy. Every time the wind came up, they were alert and ready to run. After a bit, they headed out. It is about 15 minutes to shooting time and I heard something crack behind me. I turn around and it is the 10 pointer. I have my bow in hand and just patiently waiting for him to come in to my shooting lane and pass a tree so I can draw back. He was just taking a step towards the tree and the wind came and a twig snapped and he jumped back and turned. He turned and walked away. DANG IT! He didn't come back. So, I get down at shooting time and gather up my stuff and start to head out. Now mind you...this is my first time leaving this stand by myself and in the dark. I got about half way out and all of a sudden nothing looked familiar. I somehow missed my trail out. I am a chicken at night in the woods anyways, especially after my wolf encounter, and no cell service. I was about to panic and I somehow pulled it together. I looked up and found my tree and went back to start over again. I looked at my compass so I knew the direction I needed to go to get out and then I did something I thought I would never do...I turned off my light. I started to walk and with my light off I saw the trail I missed and it led me straight out. Whew!

Then comes Saturday morning. I got out to my stand, and again, shortly after I was settled I heard a crunch. In comes a small 8. He gave me plenty of shots, but let him walk. He leaves and about 30 minutes later I hear all this noise and it is that same 8 chasing a doe. She wanted nothing to do with him. After a while, he gave up and came right back to my shooting lane...again gave me plenty of time to shoot...and again I let him pass. I thought, if he comes back one more time then maybe I should shoot. After a while I got down and gathered up everything and headed out. On my walk out, I passed a doe and a spike and they just watched me walk...didn't even budge.

Now it is time for the evening sit and I wanted to go back to the stand with all the bucks and my husband really does not believe in hunting the same stand 2 days in a row. But, with a little begging - we went back to the same area we hunted the night before. I got in my stand and at points I felt like I needed to grab on to my tree and hold on because the wind was so bad. Pretty soon I hear a bunch of noise. I couldn't tell if there was something coming or if it was the wind. The wind slowed and I still heard it so I knew something was coming. My shooting lane is to my left and to my right a little spike busts through a bunch of pines from a swamp and turns and looks back. He walked up and stopped right under my tree and kept looking back in the swamp so I knew something was out there. I then saw a big body out in the swamp but was in between a lot of trees but couldn't make out the rack. I get my bow ready. The spike started to walk back to the row of pines and was really nervous. Then that same 10 pointer came through that tree line. He was probably 20 yards away, but at no point did I ever get a clear shot and he continued to chase this spike around. Nothing after that. The walk out that night was much easier!

Sunday morning comes and this is my last sit. My husband tells me to go to a specific stand that he wanted me to hunt on Friday night, but it is almost a 2 mile walk and I didn't want to do this at night by myself, so I passed and said I would try it Sunday morning. I asked him on Friday night if it was on the GPS because I kind of remembered but not exactly. Well, I loaded up and headed out. I walked the 2 miles in on the snowmobile trail through the woods and got to the point to cut in to the woods to the stand. At this point I realized I left the GPS back at that cabin. I figure, sure not walking 2 miles back to get it. I can get there. I cut in and everything was going great...until I realized I had walked way too far. I couldn't find the dang stand! I started following deer trails and not finding a thing! I looked at my compass before leaving the snowmobile trail so I knew how to get back out and decided to go back and start again. I did just that and then finally found it. By this time it is 8am, I was walking for an hour and a half. I got in and settled in the tree and saw nothing. I got down at noon and headed back to get ready to head home. I pulled the chip on the camera and wouldn't you know...Friday night when my husband wanted me to hunt there...a very massy 10 pointer came in and hung out for a good 30 minutes. Oh well! I had a great weekend...full of action! I loved every moment of it :)

10. 1st Time Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job! Way to get it done! Congrats!!

11. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a very fun weekend. I wish I could have gotten off work and hunted last friday night as well. My dad and uncle were out and my uncle saw 7 bucks and my dad had seen 5. Saturday we had guys walking all around us and pretty much messed up our hunts.

I know how it is getting messed up in the woods. I did it once this year to a stand that I had never walked to in the dark and had only hunted it the night before. I knew I had to be only 100 yards from my tree stand but I couldnt figure out exactly where I was. I ended up just walking out and going back to get me stand in the daylight because I figured I had messed the area up enough.

12. 1st Time Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    More points for the Legends! WooHoo! It is not me, but the post should be coming soon!!!

13. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome!! I was hoping to see a post like this soon.

14. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
  15. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  16. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
  17. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I think we are in the chase. If our team slams down a few more deer we will be right there.

18. 1st Time Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am heading back up to the cabin here in a couple hours. My husband told me that a bear has shown up at my favorite stand so the activity has gone down a bit. Shouldn't they be napping already? Jeesh! This weekend will be my last weekend hunting for a while. Gun starts next weekend and I will not be able to get up there until Thanksgiving weekend - and will be gun hunting that weekend. There is always late season - but I was hoping to NOT have to deal with the cold to use my tag. So, hopefully this is my lucky weekend!!! Good luck to everyone this weekend!

19. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to you! I am surprised the bear are not napping yet as well. We had a picture of one on our trail camera not too long ago and we had chipmunks on our porch at the cabin this last weekend. I would think in the next week they all should be down.

That is the exact reason why I shot that small buck I do not want to be sitting in a treestand in the late season cold weather. Plus gun season right around the corner and then Christmas yikes (we have so many with my girlfriends parents divorced and remarried) then my sisters wedding. Pretty much brings me right to the end of the season. Can't forget about first ice when that happens for some walleye!

I do have off the entire gun season though :). Goal is to get my girlfriend one on film, if it's not too cold I hope to be carrying the camera a majority of the time. I got lazy with filming during bow hunting, wish I wouldn't have but it adds a lot of work.

20. 1st Time Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think you had the right idea!
    I was thinking, maybe I shouldn't have passed on that small 8. If I am not having luck at my other stands on Saturday, I will most likely just go back to that stand Sunday morning and hope he is still hanging around because I really don't want to drag it out to late season. Last year, I tagged out by mid October and I was so bummed! Not the case this year. But, the deer just aren't like they have been in the past years.