My Best Friend Fell This Morning

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Indiana Hunter, Nov 7, 2013.

1. MartinMagCat

MartinMagCat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Obviously the HSS saves your life but I have always wondered to guys who fall with their HSS, what are the residuals?....bruised groin area from the straps? Couldn't you slam into your climbing sticks, hitting your face, etc? I always use a life line and HSS vest but I am still scared of falling. I would be grateful to have my life saved but still fear smashing into the tree/stand/steps and dealing with the suspension pressure for a min until I get back on my steps.

2. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I talked with him he said that he racked his private parts pretty good and he hit his head and shoulder on the tree, which resulted in a bloody lip. He was rattled but very thankful he had on a safety harness.

He was able to get back to the pegs to climb down

3. MartinMagCat

MartinMagCat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Damn that's scary. I have always worried about the trauma "the boys" would go through on a fall.

4. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    glad he is ok... id take a bloody lip and a whack in the baby maker any day over not wearing a harness... i lost my balance one time in a ladder stand but was able to catch myself and it scared me, i always wear a harness of some sort now.

5. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad he is ok, I have always worn a harness but recently picked up life lines for all 3 of my stands. I feel a lot better knowing I am strapped in the whole time.

6. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think a lot of guys make the mistake of strapping in too low on the tree as well. I've seen some guys tie their harness to the tree at waist level or a bit higher so it doesn't get in the way of them drawing their bow. Thing is, your going to fall out of the stand and be hanging below in this scenario. I always strap in as high as I can, so that when I sit, my strap is tight. If I were to fall, it would be more of a roll out of the stand and the stand would be right there to where I can just step back onto it.

7. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I remember reading the packaging correctly when I got my HSS, if you fall you send it in and they send you a new replacement for a small fee. Also with the way they are designed, the leg loops are much more comfortable than either of the previous 2 brands I used, and I doubt there would be as much bruising to the sensitive areas in question.

8. ttraveler

ttraveler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow...glad to hear he is ok.

9. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep! I stand in my stand and I keep my strap tight/high enough that I can't touch my toes.

10. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Scary stuff, glad he had his harness on!

11. Landon II

Landon II Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man glad he is ok. I just read about a guy in Indiana that fell out of his tree and the family had the Doctor wake him long enough to ask if he wanted to live on a breathing machine paralyzed from the neck down for the rest of his life. He said no I have had a good life. That was yesterday I read that and today I read another story on FB . It was another Indiana guy that fell out of his tree and got banged up real bad but will recover fully eventually.

When I was a kid in the 70s and early 80s I used to climb into my dads homemade stands right behind him . We never even heard of a harness or even thought about it. My dad is now 77 years old and still climbing trees but I have him always wear a harness as do I. We also have the safety line all the way to the ground. I cant imagine why nowadays someone would go up a tree without one now. One good thing about the internet and social media is people here about all the stories and hopefully it makes them think.