OFFICIAL Rules & Scoring Information

Discussion in '2009 Bowhunting Deer Contest' started by Justin, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Scoring system will be as follows:
    Each participant is allowed to enter ONE antlered deer. This must be the FIRST antlered deer that you harvest during the season. If you are fortunate enough to harvest a 2nd antlered deer, it will not be eligible for this contest.

Score will be based on GROSS total score using the P&Y scoring system. All measurements must be listed at time when score is posted. If anyone has any problems with scoring, please ask for help first.

Mule Deer and Blacktail deer will not have a multiplier for the inches of antler that the animal scores. Whatever the gross score is will count as your final score.

Each participant is also allowed to enter ONE antlerless deer as well. Antlerless deer, regardless of size, will count as 50 points.

Rules for entry:
    1. All deer entered into this contest must be harvested legally within the laws and regulations of the state or
    province in which it was harvested. This contest is only for fun so please, don't break the law.

2. All deer entered into this contest must be harvested with archery equipment only. After all, this is bowhunting.com. This includes compound bows, traditional equipment, or crossbows. This also means you can't shoot a deer with a gun and enter it into this contest.

3. All entries must be accompanied by a minimum of TWO (2) photos of the hunter with the deer and your archery equipment in the picture. If you can manage to take one picture, you can also manage to move 4 feet to the side and take another one. It's not that hard. There will be NO exceptions to this rule. Two photos with hunter, deer, and bow in photo or it won't count. This goes for both does as well as bucks. Like Rob, I'm a skeptic.
    3a. If you harvest the deer on film and can provide footage of you shooting the animal along with post-recovery footage including hunting, animal, and bow, that will suffice in place of two photos. Footage must be posted online for everyone to see.

4. Along with your photo (or video) you must post the date and time in which the deer was shot as well.

5. Above all else, have fun! Don't change the way you hunt for a contest, no matter where it is. If you see a deer that you want to shoot that is going to make you happy then by all means shoot it. Don't worry about what people will think. We're all bowhunters and we should all support each other's decisions on what type of animals we choose to harvest, regardless of size or age.

6. If a buck's rack scores less than 50 points, a minimum score of 50 will be applied. This is known as the "Fergie Clause". This does NOT apply to button bucks. The buck must be a legally "antlered" deer in your state and have a scorable rack.

If anyone has any questions or concerns about the rules or scoring please post them here, PM me, or e-mail me directly - [email protected]

Thanks everyone!

2. Jim1966

Jim1966 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was wondering if you remember to add the "Fergie Clause". LOL

3. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had no doubt it would apply again this year. The only question now is how many will need to use it!

4. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    "Mule Deer and Blacktail deer will not have a multiplier for the inches of antler that the animal scores. Whatever the gross score is will count as your final score."

I'll be sitting it out this year. Even if I shot a monster of a P&Y Sitka buck it'd be bringing my team mates down. I realize it's just fun but competition is competition and comparing Sitka racks with whitetails doesn't set a level playing field.

5. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know this is just for fun.

But I wonder if it is fair to allow one antlerless deer per contestant (in addition to one buck) since some of us are not allowed to shoot more than one deer where we hunt?

It seems that I would be putting my team at a disadvantage.

Oh well...if that's the way it is then that's the way it is I guess.

6. mnbowhunter

mnbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    sounds good justin!!

7. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking about................1 :d

8. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For the record the Fergie Clause helped more then just me last year! And I can guarantee that it will help at least 1 person this year! And if you are thinking me again you are in for an ass woopin Mo!

9. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    6. If a buck's rack scores less than 50 points, a minimum score of 50 will be applied. This is known as the "Fergie Clause

IT IN THERE

10. RICHIE MUSIC

RICHIE MUSIC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    THIS IS GONNA BE A GREAT YEAR, I HOPE WE CAN ALL PUT SOME AWESOME DEER ON THE GROUND. I AM GOING TO TRY TO CAPTURE EVERYTHING ON VIDEO THIS YEAR TO DO SO WILL BE MUCH HARDER BUT I THINK THE END RESULT WILL BE WORTH IT, GOOD LUCK TO ALL AND GIVE EM THE SHAFT.......

11. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    That's not a bad idea.

12. Jim1966

Jim1966 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    DUH I know that. I was messing with him.

13. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You should sign up regardless...I'm in this to get to know my teammates a little better - and most importantly to share photos/stories of some successful hunts - it can't hurt to have some teammates pulling for you and encouraging you...even if a Sitka scores half that of a whitetail.
    Heck, Sitka, Southern bucks, one deer states...if my team is successful - it will make this forum that much more enjoyable :beer:

14. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same here, I wish you'll sign up, another buck is more inches regardless. Hell if Justin would have scored period on a racked deer, even a Sitka we would have dethroned that other team. What team was that again? :d

:deer:

15. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Richie dude, stop shouting, you're hurting my ears!!:argue:

16. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rob ... ALOT of guys don't score ... which means the odds of you bringing the team down if you score are nil ..... just play .... it's just for fun ....

17. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't like the "auto" doe points if a guy shoots a buck. Some guys choose to only shoot a buck even if doe tags were available too them. Too many rules makes it a mess. Its the luck of the draw, just the same as getting 4 guys from a big buck state or 4 guys who kill one every year.

18. Mo_bowhnter

Mo_bowhnter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Going back to Kodiak, there is no such thing as a handicap in this contest.

I'd take 4 guys from average states that kill bucks every year over 4 guys from big buck states that kill a slammer maybe once every 5 years.

19. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What about a "spotting rule"....

Say hunter "A" can only take 1 deer and takes a buck, but Hunter "B" can shoot 7 does a year. Hunter "B" would then be allowed to "spot" hunter "A" a doe, since they are teamates,

just a thought....

I like the way it is though

20. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Another solution might be to limit the number of doe's a team can enter (a number that is less than the number of people on the team)?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009