Official team 25 - Rack Nasties thread

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by indynotch50, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just came back from rampaging all my neighbours and seeing if I can get to the bottom of it. I went in the woods to check cams and noticed two cams and two stands stolen. One of the stands had a simple old ladder and they broke the ladder? Like stealing the stands and cameras was not enough they broke the ladder.

I went around talking to all the locals. All claim there has been a group of hunters who just walk round like they own the place. This is now my second season living here but did not have a whole lot set up last yesr so never ran into this. I'm about to lose it. I'm seriously more mad about the broken ladder. Because stolen items could be young punks whatever. But someone breaks the ladder and steals the other stuff just basically is out to prove a point. I would pay a million dollars to be in a stand when these *** whipes go by. Neighbours are warning me these guys roll through and no one stops them. Ill be the first if its the last thing I do. When I catch these guys in their, they are screwed I promise. Pissed!!!!

2. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah he's a big heavy deer. My brother and I did a lot of work before last year's season with food plots. It's finally starting to show. Plus we haven't set there at all so there's been very little to no pressure.

Hopefully I can get a really nice buck down south and leave my parent's place alone this season. We're trying to up the population. The problem has been pressure mainly. My concern is gun season will bring a lot of hunters, but the property is split and where that guy is has 0 pressure from them.

3. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Chago I feel for you buddy, that sucks.

4. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Oh dang Chago, that sucks buddy. Hopefully you can get things back in order quickly.

In the cases i've seen when this happens, the hunters only act tough until confronted.

It's also nice that my state allows you to carry a handgun even when bow hunting, as long as you have a carry permit.

5. buckhunter1988

buckhunter1988 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys well all I'm gonna say is BBD here in southwest PA I'm gonna have to send someone the pics to post for me but ill post the story up a lil later.

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, how about that...awesome job!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! Huge pat on the back!!!!!!!!

You can send them to me and I'll get them posted!

7. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hell yea!

8. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome!!! We need pix!!!

9. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yo Jassen, please give me a call or hit me up on the private message. Have some questions about NE. Leaving this Friday... Thanks!

Six one six, 6 3 8 - 0 7 7 Six

10. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    this certainly stinks, Chago, but stay cool about it. is this private or public land? if the neighbors don't help keep the riffraff out of the area, it's gonna be tough... you can't be there 24x7 and signage and locked gates just seem to encourage some people that there is something in there that the owner is protecting. my property is very rural and posted, but I encounter people in there all the time... oh we've been coming here for years... well, you are trespassing and have been for years! oh we were just pickin wild onions... well, there is plenty of public land around to go pick wild onions on.

anyway, my main point is you can do everything you can to discourage law abiding citizens from knowingly trespassing, but you'll be hard pressed to stop people who are gonna do it anyway regardless of your efforts.

11. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Yes it's private land. Surrounded y more private land. I understand I'm always going to deal with trespassing hunters because not even landowner lives their. But what makes me sick is why steal my stands cameras and then the one stand that was a mcgiver ladder they break in half and leave it their. It was like they wanted us to leave the area. I hunted tonight wi a climber stand. I'm not afraid of them trust me I just want to find them. We have a really good idea who one of them are.

I'm setting cameras up in the air looking down. And all will be the spy points with the black box so I can get pics even if they take camera.

12. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Yes it's private land. Surrounded y more private land. I understand I'm always going to deal with trespassing hunters because not even landowner lives their. But what makes me sick is why steal my stands cameras and then the one stand that was a mcgiver ladder they break in half and leave it their. It was like they wanted us to leave the area. I hunted tonight wi a climber stand. I'm not afraid of them trust me I just want to find them. We have a really good idea who one of them are.

I'm setting cameras up in the air looking down. And all will be the spy points with the black box so I can get pics even if they take camera.

13. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    We moved up to 20th place in the recent tally...

14. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    yup and with buckhunter kill it will be a good bump. I'm starting to see a lot more action on my property now. I don't know why I even bother hunting in October LOL my property lights up really late rut and the late season.

15. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hoping vacation means lots of points, both for my wall and our team!

16. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    I don't see that buckhunter has posted his up yet...

17. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I haven't heard anything from him since that post here in the thread. He never sent any pics through email for me to post for him. I hope he had already recovered the deer when he posted the news about BBD....

18. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The epic call all your friends and then don't recover LOL

19. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I was wondering....maybe he stuck a bruiser and in the excitement posted from his phone before he found it and then didn't actually find it. My brother in law did that once two years ago.

Goodness, I hope that isn't what happened, if so he's probably still trying to lynch himself with a bootstring from his tree stand.

20. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    I got drawn for my town's archery urban deer harvest program this year. I'll be hunting Oct 31 (thur)-Nov 3 (sun) on a particular beat. No pre-scouting allowed and unfortunately, this is one of the sections I have NOT mushroom hunted in, but I am familiar with the habitat type in general and can tell a lot from google earth pix and scouting from the road.

I'll be hunting in a section along the river bottom of the Deep Fork River in an 80 acre tract. The burr oaks just started dropping acorns this week and the river bottom is full of them. We all know how deer LOVE acorns. Last weekend, before I took the 9 point on my property, multiple groups of does came up the ridge chomping on acorns. On one occasion, I heard the crunching 100 yards away before I actually saw the deer. Anyway, that is 200 miles from here... deer here probably don't like acorns...
    Anyway, there are lots of deer there. It is 2 deer limit and one must be antlerless, so I have to kill a doe before being able to take a buck, if they have not already reached the buck limit for the hunt by this weekend. Organizational meeting is tonight, so I’ll get more details then.

So this is going to be an old school, go in and scout one day & start hunting. My first intention is to verify on the ground what I have seen from satellite images with regards to major trails & potential river crossings and the like. The trails in the sand at the river banks are definite in this habitat type and I have seen them like highways 6’ wide in nearby zones while mushroom hunting. There is not a lot of crop food nearby, so I suspect the deer might be traveling to the nearby golf course to eat from their beds in my zone and the nearby zone across the river. There are good potential pinch points here with multiple trail intersections to setup on. Likely river crossing will be shoals/shallow areas.

In addition, there will also be the option of setting up in the burr oak bottoms looking for loafing groups of does or setup on trails to/from that area that can’t readily be seen in the satellite images due to tree cover. I suspect the deer might be going nuts on their special, golf ball sized treats this specific time of year.

Weather looks ok except for high winds Thursday (WNW @ 25mph) & Sunday (S @ 25mph). Deer here are used to high winds though…

I will have phone service there though, unlike from my property in NE OK, so I’ll keep yuall updated…