Is it just me or are things pretty slow?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have seen a big increase in mature buck movement in just the last three day..

Scrapes are blowing up all over. I saw 3 bucks Sunday between 4 - 7 pm. One of which is a shooter, and refused to give me a good shot.

This is him.
    [​IMG]

Its getting ready to bust wide open here in So. Indiana in my opinion..

Good thing my vacation starts tomorrow :) Got 3 weeks of prime time hunting coming up and I am gonna wear them out!

2. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My buddy shot a 5 point for his first archery deer ever on sunday morning. The odd thing was it was rolling around with another buck before he was shot. No signs here in MI

3. Acts of the wolf

Acts of the wolf Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Brutally slow here so far.

4. D34

D34 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was at our lease in Jo Daviess County this past weekend. Saw deer every sit and only two shooters before first light and at last light. Everything else was small bucks. Only two of the 8-10 bucks we saw had any interest in chasing does. When they did chase, it wasn't for very long. I had one small buck come in and bed down behind me for over an hour. A doe came in and he was completely uninterested. I think we got some time to wait yet.......hopefully they wait until the 9th-15th.

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ugh, I should have stopped reading this thread. Supervisors will be out if mornin meeting in about 20 minutes. Going to see about pushing my vacation back a week. I'll still have a 3 day weekend this weekend, still think Friday is going to be good. That would put it the 8-17th.

If I do it, anyone want to bet that about Tuesday if next week the "rut is on, bucks everywhere" threads start up?

6. Doublelung1977

Doublelung1977 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last night i sat on the ground. Seen a basket rack come out in cut beans early and then a spike grunting and chasing a doe at 5:45pm. On drive home at 7pm seen someone pulled oyver they hit a basket rack. Didnt see any shooter bucks but the little guys are getting restless. Oct31-nov.7 will be a year to remember this year

7. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very slow in VT. I have a 100in 8 pt coming in to the cameras at night. The other 6-7 bucks are just gone. Haven't seen them the entire month of October. In NJ the bucks were starting to chase, scrapes and rubs everywhere and I saw several nice bucks but nothing I could get in range.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  8. SWitchBacKXT

SWitchBacKXT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Any luck JZ?!?!

9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone have their journal notes from 2005? Full moon wise it's nearly a repeat, day earlier then. Weather wise it was a big difference. Here's a brief summary of Oct. 2005 in IL with a mention on how warm Nov. started

October started out quite warm, with temperatures approaching the 90 degree mark. However, cooler than normal weather prevailed over the second half of the month. November also started out as much as 15 to 20 degrees above normal, before a significant cool spell toward the middle of the month.

10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Vacation is officially switched to the 8th-17th. Hope I don't regret it :lol: tried to stay away from the full moon

11. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going for this week Nov 1-11, hope that we both don't regret it! LOL!

BowhuntOrDie

12. nsimmons

nsimmons Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Neillsville, WI/ Chippewa Falls, WI/ Spooner, WI
    Slow here as well, I spent a bunch of time in the woods trying to find some scrape lines but only found 7 different scrapes that is way less than we were seeing this time last year. The poor/very windy weather over the weekend did not help things at all

13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'll know for sure if I should regret it or not, I have a trail cam on the stand I'll be hunting. I think I'll be alright though, only goin to miss 4 days in stand because of it. First 17 days of Nov. look like this

1-3 off
    4-7 working
    8-17 off

So 13 out of 17 days are available to hunt, but those 4 I switched out are killing me.

14. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    VERY slow for me in Pa. I have seen a total of 2 deer on stand since the opener on October 5th.

I've only made it to Ohio one weekend but saw plenty of deer there. My friend hunted this property last weekend and saw two yearling bucks following does but no big bucks.

15. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seems pretty slow here, was alright first week or so of season. Now its dead, pulled cards today and had the lowest number of pics all year. And what I did have was mostly night movement. Hopefully something snaps amd it picks up. Honestly though there was a lot of things late this year around here. Sheds and fawns dropping. Be able to really tell what's goin on here in next couple weeks, usually picks up middle of November through Thanksgiving.

16. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hope all the crops are out for the most part, all this rain coming is you. To keep them out if the fields for a few days I'd imagine.

17. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All the crops are out on farm I hunt. Even most of bean ground has been worked already.

18. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shot my buck last year on Oct 28th.

I sat in a tree on Oct 26th this year and had a buck making a scrape 1 hour before daylight not 20 yards from me.

Scrapes are late this year. The seeking phase will be back to "normal" in my area and be around Nov 7th.

For the last two years it was 1.5 weeks early. This weekend will be good.

19. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen deer almost every sit. However there all does and a few spikes and smaller bucks none o them chasing the does. I see a doe with her fawn almost every time I go. I talked to a guy that's has hunted around my area for many years and he said he doesn't get out much until the second week of November. Said that's when it always gets good.

20. illinoishunter13

illinoishunter13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    it's dry around me deer are grouped up. some corn is still up too. getting some rain hopefully they get moving before gun season