Is it just me or are things pretty slow?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if it's just my imagination but for October 28th things seem a bit slow. I really thought we'd see a flood of "Buck Down" posts from this past weekend but things were surprisingly quiet.

So is this the calm before the storm or are we in for a slow rut year?

2. Jofes

Jofes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    things here in souther KS have slowed down big time, no idea why.

3. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with you 100% for the area I hunt. I save my "best" places for this time of the year. My father and I hunted twice on Sunday on ground that has not been touched. Combined we saw one small buck.

I do not believe it is the location or the time of the year. I just don't believe any part of the rut phase has began.

Trail cam pictures are better than average.

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Trail cams are showing bucks starting to expand their areas but it's all at night - at least for me.

I sat 6 times from Thursday to Saturday in some prime spots. 2 of those sits I didn't see a single deer and the rest were very slow - a few does and fawns and a couple 1 1/2's cruising at last light. For this time of year and the temps we had I was expecting some better action than that.

5. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same here, I have a couple 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year olds during the day, but no shooters.

6. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I finally had a pretty good flurry of mid day buck activity yesterday. Just not the real big boys

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It better be the calm before the storm. Thinking this weekend is going to light up the board, a few days longer east of IL until the rain moves out.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  8. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know, Justin. Things are wierd here, but in the other direction. I've seen more buck activity this year than I ever do at this point. I killed a 136" buck in Kentucky on the 19th with my ML. He was chasing a doe, he stunk of rut and his stomach was empty. I saw six other bucks cruising during daylight during the two sits before that.

Then this past weekend I botched my shot at a bruiser on Friday afternoon in Arkansas and then on Saturday a friend in camp killed a stud of an 8 point.

I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm not complaining about what I'm seeing down south.

9. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have not set foot on my land since September 29. No idea what is going on. I'll find out Saturday.

10. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Slow here, too. Then again, our property is always late. I shot my buck last year chasing on December 1st.

I, too thought the forums would have more buck down posts. This week will, I bet. All you lucky guys taking weeks of vacation time:(

11. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Things have been really slow around here. Begining- Mid last week it ramped up some with the colder temps then seemed to die back off for the weekend. Should start to ramp back up later this week with some better rut activity im hoping

12. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted hard this past Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I saw very few deer for the area I hunt. I had one 1.5 year old 8 pointer come cruising through at 5pm on Saturday and a doe and buck fawn around 5:30pm

For this weekend I am blaming the violet wind we had, I'm hoping next weekend is better. I'm with Justin, I thought I would see something with these cooling temperatures

13. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, horrible. The deer are just not moving for us. Usually smaller bucks at least, are cruising. We are seeing nothing.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This has been the worst early season I've ever had. The best buck I've seen on the hoof was a 1 1/2 year old 6 pointer. I hunted some untouched timber this weekend. Had scrapes all over the place, just no daylight activity. I only saw a small forky chasing a doe while on stand for 3 sits. This is the same area where good deer get shot every year during rifle season, so I know they should be there. I pulled my trail cams, and as of Sunday I had some daylight activity in the last week or so, but only by young, immature bucks. I'm getting a decent amount of pictures of mature bucks, but always at night.

15. Ya Get 'Em?

Ya Get 'Em? Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same here, slowwww...but my buddies in MI are slamming bucks?

16. DoubleLung84

DoubleLung84 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The predictions for this years rut are the 3rd week of November. Not sure how accurate this is, but that's what I've been hearing.

17. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wonder if it has to do with lack of weather systems. It's been cold, but haven't had the normal strong fronts typical in the fall transition. We'll have it this week though.

Starting to worry maybe I took my vacation a week early, hope they aren't right about the full moon/late rut.

18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What's everyone's crop harvests like? They finally got the last of the corn it near the property I hunt, but there's still a lot of beans and corn in in other areas. That's what I was blaming lack of movement on previously. Trail cam seems to show more movement now as well. Just no mature bucks yet, but that's fairly normal where I have my cams

19. woodsy211

woodsy211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Havent seen a single thing in the past 4 sits! Last year i only went once without seeing at least 1 deer. Everybody I`ve talked to seems to be having the same misfortune. Worst season I`ve had!

20. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Give a few more days.....