New Brassicas mix that will be available for you next year!

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by pastorandrew, Oct 24, 2013.

1. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you may have seen my posts on my plots over the last few years. ten years ago i had a small food plot company that really took off, my business doubled in sales each of the first two years. Then i got married, bought a house, went into debt, needed to make an investment into the company to go to the next level with our product. So I chickened out and stopped selling my custom seed blend. Here I set 10 years later, the food plot industry has just erupted, and I realize God had me positioned 10 years ago to really have a huge impact in the hunting industry. Over the last 8 years I have really been developing a brassica's mix that is highly successful in growth and is also highly attractive to the deer's taste buds from September to march. Last month I felt like the Lord gave me the go ahead to start a business again selling food plot blends and working with guys on habitat solutions. My goal is to one day hand a successful company off to my son who is currently 5. So here are some pictures of the product at maturity. the mix was planted on august 1st 2013. These plants are from today October 24th 2013. The plot averages around 2-4 plants per square foot. I have around an acre that all looks just like this. I cut the tops off and weighed the green leafy matter, there was 13 pounds of greens in this 6 square foot. then I weighed the roots all washed free of dirt there was 8 pounds of root. So there was roughly 21 pounds of edible plant in these three square foot I took these plants from. that means there is 21*43560= 914,760 pounds / 6 (152,460lbs per acre) /2000 lbs= 76.23 tons of forage on this plot for the deer to eat between now and next spring. Those numbers blow me away more than the thought of the fact that it equals out weight wise to 1,525, 100 pound feed sacks of shelled corn. or 3,050 50 pound bags of apples or beets! I have roughly 200 dollars an acre into a complete acre of brasicas. that's fuel, spray, seed, lime and fertilizer. complete acre 200 dollars for pounds of food for my whitetails. that's a cost of two dollars and sixty two cents per ton of forage. (2.62) to buy the equivalent of shelled corn would require me to purchase 1525 bags @ 6 dollars a bag. would cost 9,150.00! apples would require me to buy 3050 bags @ 4 dollars a bag = 12,200 dollars. I numbers don't lie, good food plots equal healthier deer, better hunting, and an enjoyment of the outdoors! Sorry to type so much, my mind has been blown, YOURS? If you want to get some of this seed next year PM and I will get in touch with you in the spring!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this things a beast!
    [​IMG]

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Too bad you don't have any good plant pictures to show... ;) :evilgrin:

3. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of plant is the "beast"? Also, do you have a pic of the plot that those plants came from?

4. KillerC

KillerC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How easy is this stuff to grow? Does it take a lot of extra care than let's say a clover plot?

5. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    Killer c it is actually really easy to grow, the keys are to Get a soil test, put the required lime on. make sure you get the weeds killed with glyshophate, (round up) I spray my fall plots around the second week of may, then again around the 4th of July. around the 20th or so of July i start watching for a few days of rain in the ten day forecast. I go in apply 19-19-19 at a rate of around 400 pounds to the acre on it. (they are heavy feeders) Disc it in broadcast the seed on then roll it in or pack it. Then sit back and watch it grow. If you get rain you won't have to worry about weeds, the brassicas out grow everything around them. The deer can take a year or so to get used to them but once they do, look out! they love them. good luck, they would be worth a shot for sure!

6. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks great!

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

7. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    Greg,

the beast is a forage rape, it is designed to be all leaf matter, I would say the majority of that variety that isn't ate is that size or larger. I am blown away by it! Here are pics of the plot. I would say the average hieght of the plot is 30 inches, plot dimensions are 300 feet by 200 feet. so it is about 1.5 acres. [​IMG]
    I used my boot for refrence, it is 16 inches. i would say these plants are around 30 inches. this photo is taken on the woods edge, the plot gets a little taller as you head to the center. [​IMG]

this is the far side, [​IMG]

some of the purple tops and some forage turnips. [​IMG][​IMG]

This is the shortest spot in the plot, it has also has the most grazing, which accounts for a majority of the diffence. the turnip in bottom of photo is easily bigger than a softball.[​IMG]

8. KillerC

KillerC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What else would you plant along side this while the deer are getting used to eating this stuff?

9. poppop

poppop Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had some of those forage radishes in a commercial plot mix I planted last year. The deer took to them right away, ate the tops off, then later on started eating the radishes themselves. I was pleasantly surprised they did take to it so readily. I'll look forward to seeing how this develops with your venture.

10. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking that it was a rape plant. I had a few pop up in my clover this year and the deer love them. Your plots look fantastic. How do you think the mix would do in plots in the woods? (More shade).

11. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Excellent question!! Kind of curious about that myself. I have a 14 ft wide strip I plant with other stuff that runs down the side of a hay field right next to the wood line. It's hard to find stuff that grows good there. Oats seem to take off and do well there, but not much else

12. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So where do I order at ?

13. Biz

Biz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would definitely give it a try.

14. Q-harley

Q-harley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would like to try planting sum. please contact me in the spring. Q

15. jsdeerhunter26

jsdeerhunter26 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Looks awesome please let me know when it is for sale.

16. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ttt
    I'm still very interested in this mix. Thought I'd bring it back to the top to give it some renewed attention :)

17. Nontypical 24

Nontypical 24 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Any word on when it"ll be available

18. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looking forward to hearing back about the seed update. Bump for new eyes!

19. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where it at?

20. Zweibarrt

Zweibarrt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    But do the deer eat it?