Official team 25 - Rack Nasties thread

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by indynotch50, Aug 19, 2013.

1. buckhunter1988

buckhunter1988 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey thanks covet for posting those photos and I get done at work Sunday so ill be heading home to hunt on Monday and Tuesday. Hopefully ill be able to get some points on the board for us and tag out here in pa so I can go to Ohio for the rut.goodluck to you guys and lets get some deer on the ground

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You're welcome, good luck!

I got in the stand for the first time this year....or three years for that matter. Saw three spikes a fork and a pretty little 8 pointer....didn't shoot anything. I wasn't going to burn my KS buck tag on a wimpy little guy.

3. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Certainly not when you have OMG haunting you. Were you in that stand by his scrape or a different one?

4. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Hahaha, now you should know full well I was in the one by the scrape, lol!
    I had him on camera at that scrape at around 7am (I think) so that's the one I took.

5. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Keep going covey we need that buck on the board. We got some crappy weather tonight. Tomorrow supposed to be clear only to rai. Again Monday. So I think deer will be moving well tomorrow. Gonna do a awhile day sit I think.

6. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to try to get my butt out of bed in the morning and into the stand. I have a big dog pen to start tomorrow so probably won't stay in the stand long but maybe long enough to get some points of some sort. I'd like to get a doe for some good meat but I'm not picky...I'd take any one of about 10 bucks on that property if they happen by.

I'd like to hold out for OMG! but those big guys are just too unpredictable and sharp to wait on under my circumstances. I wouldn't feel bad taking a 140-150+ inch buck my first year back into archery after my 3 year hiatus. I also won't lose any sleep over leaving that big sob OMG (lol) out there breeding does another year in the herd I'm managing.

I'm meeting Dr. Grant Woods this Feburary for a consultation on these farms and I'm really looking forward to that.

7. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

This fella was chasing a doe full speed past the stand. I could see he was decent and might have some junk so I had to make a split decision. I practically had to yell to stop him. meh. Meh! MEH!!! He ducked and swung back around in reverse and the elbow shot stuck him in the neck. I was a bit concerned because I saw him run off with the arrow.

He crashed down the hillside and piled up 100 yards away.

I have the required pix for the contest and will post up tomorrow after I get him scored. I'm guessing 120-130 or so

[​IMG]

8. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wooooooo nice buck. So he was chasing hard already??? Wow that's awesome. I'm getting out tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I can add to the score. Lets go boys!!!

9. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    Yes he was and other were also. Unsure if they are really in heat yet or if the cold front just made them all crazy. A big group of does had 2 bucks after them earlier that morning.

10. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome Okie! Great job! Nice looking buck!

11. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Oh wow! Nice job buddy!!!!!!!!!!!! Woooohoooo!!!!!!!! Forget the competition....that is just plain awesome right there!!!!!!

Uhm......I think he may score better than you think, that guy is a stud! Hes got good mass, good mains, good tine length and good width based on comparison with your bow. I know your deer are smaller than ours up here further north but I wouldn't be surprised if he scores closer to 145. I mean I hate to get your hopes up and it'll be interesting to see the official score but he's really nice.

Good job! *pat on the back*.

12. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Well see yall later, I'm headed out to the stand.

The wind is terrible today and in the wrong direction for this stand but I'm going to chance it anyway, I don't get all that many chances to hunt and you never know what will happen so I'll give it a go. Good luck to all of you hunting this morning!

13. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck, CM! And thanks for the encouragement. I'll get him scored shortly... The morning pink is peekin...

14. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks bob!

15. Copper dog

Copper dog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job okie he is a stud for sure

16. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    Using my poor scoring skills... 129 7/8"

I'll do it again shortly

17. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Well crap!
    I made it back from the stand...good morning but the stars just didn't align correctly this morning. OMG! was in the house this morning, unfortunately he hit the scrape at 6:59 and it was still dark. The east sky was just getting pink and I could see a big deer in ther scrape but I couldn't see anything but body mass...couldn't see antlers at all at that point. I could tell the way the deer acted though that it was OMG!, he has a characteristic way he works the scrape and moves around before leaving...I "knew" this was him...just couldn't close the deal in the dark, I couldn't have even seen through my peep. There's no way I'm taking chances with that deer, if everything isn't perfect he can just keep walking as far as I'm concerned.

Sat there and had a big doe come in behind me following my trail into the stand....yes evercalm on the boots this morning for the first time....stuff works! She got through my best shooting lane before I could get drawn...drew on her anyway but it was still too dark I knew I'd never see the arrow hit and there was a sprout top between us so I let down and let her walk.

About 8am a doe an a fawn walked by at 40 yards...I'm sorry but I can't shoot a doe with her fawn following her....yes bambi has haunted me since I was like 5....SOB'in Walt Disney. I froze out and hadn't been getting anything on that camera past 8:15 so I thought I was safe so I quietly climbed down the ladder at 8:48 (stayed extra long just to be safe)...reached the ground and stepped around the tree and BOOM...snort, thump thump...guess who! I'll be a sob if it wasn't OMG! and two big does out about 60 yards south west of the stand (just past visible range from the platform)... #$%&^* *&^%$()*&^&%&&^%^&^&%$#!!!!!! SOB, GD%$#!)(*&^%!(********!!!!!!!!!!!

It might not have been OMG! I couldn't tell for sure, I caught sight with one away bound so it might have been the big nine point that I've been wanting too...either way had I stayed a while longer........maybe.........

The saga continues!

18. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have had a few good sits guys but haven't been able to seal the deal.
    Friday my boss let me out a few hours early and I got to the stand about 4:30. I was pretty deep in the woods so I decided to get down a few minutes early so I didn't go fumbling through the woods in the dark. Sure enough as soon as my gear hits the ground I hear a doe come in. Then 2 more, then a doe with 2 fawns, and then a spike buck... but not the big monster buck I was in there for.

Next week it's supposed to get down in the 20s here next week. That should get pre-rut started hard core.

Also, I'm off the first week of November. I'm planning on being on the road hunting my big spots all week.

19. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to everyone hunting today. I got in stand 2 hours ago. Saw 8 turkey's. No deer yet. Sitting in a trail with tine of scrapes and rubs.

Okie 130 is still a PY deer. Congrats

20. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks and Yes you are right... I'm going to officially go with 129 3/8 gross. I did it 3 times not looking at previous measurements. That is the lowest score I came up with. Lets hope he doesn't shrink too much and I may get him in the P&Y books!