Moraine Hills in Northern Illinois

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ckeith, Sep 9, 2013.

1. ckeith

ckeith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I get the email today that i was selected to hunt Moraine Hills Zone D this year!!! If anyone has hunted this area and could help me out i would greatly appreciative! This is the first time i've been drawn to hunt here and looking at the map it looks pretty open with a few fingers and small wood lots. I think i've got a couple good spots stalked out to look at first but there's only so much bing and google maps can show me without walking it first!

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I dont remember the zone but Moraine Hills was the home of the famous Fergie Clause Buck!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

3. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! My buddy drew a gun tag for there this year. He jogs there almost everyday and tells me there are a ton of does.

4. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like they changed the zones around but according to the new map he was taken in zone A

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

5. laflin123

laflin123 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    moraine hills unit d

hi im a new poster on here, i was drawn as well for unit d at moraine hills week of th 8th-12th. did you find any good spots to set up? ive been studying whatever maps i can get my hands on but it looks pretty open.

6. laflin123

laflin123 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i was drawn for november, just saw i left that out lol sorry

7. ckeith

ckeith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you look at google maps you'll see a ridge of hardwoods I hunted the back corner of that and killed a doe, missed a doe, and got busted by a deer so it's definitely a good spot if you walk on the back side in the giant open field you may be able to find my trail I cut into it that comes right out beside the tree I hunted. You'll find the tree by looking for the trees that the beaver chewed down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

8. jdm_77_10

jdm_77_10 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We're you in zone C?

9. jdm_77_10

jdm_77_10 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted there last year, late December in zone c. Spooked a doe in the north east side of the zone. Was creeping up the path up to the top of the hill to set up. She took off down the south east side of the hill. After that I saw absolutely nothing the rest of my hunt. Hopefully I see some this year. Its right after gun season. I'm in the 25th- 29th slot for the same zone. So, fingers crossed.

10. jdm_77_10

jdm_77_10 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted zone c last year saw 1 doe.

11. jdm_77_10

jdm_77_10 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What dates did you get? I'm in zone c. Right now........ I've been in here the last 3 days and haven't seen squat. Morning and evening. I've heard a couple of doe bleat but that'd it. I think I'm going to do some fawn bleat and try to pull in a doe or two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Daniel Lucchesi likes this.
  12. Daniel Lucchesi

Daniel Lucchesi Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i will be in zone A from 18th to the 27th I hoping to be able to see something I was able to set up along a what looked to be a path. that they run I am hoping that I get something.

13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to you! Moraine Hills was chock-full of giant bucks when I was a kid. We picked up a ton of big sheds out there. Unfortunately, this area isn't what it used to be, but there are still some good ones around. I hunted Volo Bog a few years back, but it was before they extended the individual season lengths. I only had a 3-day window to hunt and didn't even see a deer from the stand. It was pretty brutal. However, I know a few guys that have killed some decent bucks in there. Just gotta be in the right place at the right time.

14. Daniel Lucchesi

Daniel Lucchesi Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yea so I have been out 3 times so far and going out again tomorrow morning. The problem that I believe that I am having is there is just way to much movement in the area that I am allowed to hunt. Between the seven school busses that go through on the roads for the houses behind me and all the joggers and bikers on the trails I believe that if you don't get lucks at day break it just wont happen. So on the 18th I was able to hear them making grunts and sounds but nothing came into view. Got off the stand at 11 o clock that day when I saw a bunch of trail goers. The 19th I left at nine because there more people out earlier given it was a weekend. This morning was the same thing. So hopefully tomorrow I will have better luck fingers crossed.

15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Keep in mind the deer are seeing people and cars/buses every day of their lives - it's nothing new to them. So while it may bother you, they're used to it.

Good luck!

16. Daniel Lucchesi

Daniel Lucchesi Newb

Dislikes Received:
    well this year i got the lottery again. I am excited and i will be in the bull valley area for the lottery from 10-16 to 10-27 i cant wait.

Justin likes this.