Official team 25 - Rack Nasties thread

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by indynotch50, Aug 19, 2013.

1. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fully agree. You got him in cam in daylight. That's what we wait all year for. Get in there!!!!

2. Oklabowyer

Oklabowyer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just pulled my camera yesterday and had this monster coming in. Pics are grainy because I took a picture of the screen on the laptop from my phone. Anyway, any guesses on what he'd score? I'm thinking around 150.

Attached Files:

3. jvanhees

Dislikes Received:
    Mid 150s if I had to guess. Helluva buck. GL getting him!

4. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow covey that deer is omfg lol get in a tree already. I don't even care about th conpetition I want to see you behind that deer.

Okla that's a 150 for sure. So happy for you. Just got new land and already got great bucks. Makes the investment feel even better. That's my goal. I've been searching for land in my area. Soon. Get after that deer. The pics I'm seeing in iut thread my god we can be top 3.

5. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Let me get your guys opinion on something. I have a spot that is a evening feeding area. I have some more trail spots back in the woods but the only way I can get to them without trespassing is by walking right through my evening feeding spot. What's your take on this? Will I burn the feeding spot if I set up a stand in the trails behind and walked through? Would it make sense to hint it morning or evening?

6. Oklabowyer

Dislikes Received:
    I'd hunt it in the evening primarily but you've gotta be there to have a chance so I wouldn't hesitate to hunt the morning too. If you can get between the bedding and feeding area and catch them coming to feed before dark, even if you have to walk through the feeding area, you'll have a better chance in the evening. I'd wear some knee high rubber style boots and I wouldn't linger in the feeding area at all. I'd just beat feet straight to the stand and get in. The only problem you may have is getting down and out without spooking deer. But, you'll never know if you don't try. Mornings can be good too but mostly the deer will be moving from the food back to bed so if you can't get to your stand without spooking deer it'll be tough.

Good luck and thanks for the kind words. I'm really happy about my land and I did some homework before I bought it so I knew there were some good bucks in there but i had no idea that I'd be seeing this caliber of deer this quick.

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I have no doubt he'll break 150 and leave that in the dust so far back that it won't even be a memory. Our deer are big bodied animals here with heavy body weights so pics from region to region can be misleading and hard to get a grasp on overall size. I know he'll break 170 and am like 90% confident he'll break 180+.

Like I said I have a 178 on the wall taken in 2003 and this one is bigger at every measurment. Unless something about rack measure has changed in the last couple of years since I scored a deer at least. Just for size comparison, that scrape at his front feet in the color pic is easily 26" across and the limbs behind him that are actually licking branches are easily 6'+ off the ground. I'll go back and see if I can pull a pic of me standing in the same frame for comparison.

Any way you measure him though he's a flipping stud of a deer....150 to 200.

8. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Nope, already erased the pics of me at that cam. I'll get some more later if I don't have this buck o nthe ground by then with an actual measurment.

9. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow guys awesome deer, truly awesome!
    Chago can you get permission just to walk to your stand?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  10. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No. Technically I almost wouldn't even be trespassing. Problem is neighbouring farm is a horse farm that boards horses for rich snobby yuppies like Phil Robertson calls them. They made a stink before seeing me in camo going into woods. They made a big stink to the landowner of the forest because they have trails they ride on. So my permission on the land is I can hunt there but I need to stay the heck away from horse riders. So really I could get away with it but once they complain after seeing me. I'm afraid the landowner may tell me eh listen there giving me a hard time no more hunting. Trying to kiss as much a$$ as possible so I don't lose spot.

11. jvanhees

Dislikes Received:
    That's pretty cool you did your homework first. What exactly did you do for homework? I'm taking notes for someday....

12. Oklabowyer

Dislikes Received:
    I new a couple of folks that owned land that was very close to this property. I talked with them about what kind of genetics was in the area and whether there were adman practices being utilized around the general area. By talking with the seller I was able to find out that there is a tract of 1500 continuous acres owned by one family that boarders one side of the property. He filled me in on the history of management practices that have been used over the last 20+ years around the property. Also, I grew up hinting near this property probably less than a mile or so on a property that had some real monsters on it. We lost permission when they started leasing it many years ago for a crazy amount. Anyway, all that combined with the fact that its very secluded and not able to be road hunted or poached because its located behind locked gate and not visible from the county road were also a plus for me. Being boardered by big tracts that manage their wildlife and not having any houses around were the biggest draw for me. Talk to landowners around the property first but don't let the cat out of the bag or one of them may buy the land out from under you. I did research and then approached the landowner and made an offer to purchase. He didn't have it listed and I got a little lucky. Don't be afraid to approach someone about selling even if their land isn't listed for sale. Good luck.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

13. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a front on view from the other camera on the 30 gallon feeder...good golly.

[​IMG]

14. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Man, you need to poke that dude...

15. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That rack is just crazy.

16. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck okie!

17. buckhunter1988

buckhunter1988 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow he looks good in the first one and then looks even better in the others

18. Copper dog

Copper dog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Those are some nice looking bucks guys good luck on them.

19. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow covey nice deer.

I hunted last night and had a button buck in range for a good five minutes. I only got two tas this year one buck and one doe. So I didn't want to burn a buck tag on that deer. Let me grow. At least it got the heart pounding and I'm starting to see deer. Good things are coming!

Get in a tree boys we need to climb that scoreboard.

20. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like we all have some really great bucks this year! buckhunter1988 sent me these pics of some of his deer to post up here in the thread so here ya go! Go get'em buckhunter1988!!!!

IMAG0154.jpg IMAG0210.jpg IMAG0216.jpg IMAG0223.jpg