Official team 25 - Rack Nasties thread

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by indynotch50, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Indy sorry to hear about your little girl. It sucks when they get hurt but they heal quick. I put my parents thru hell. I was always getting stitches or casts. When I was in my twenties I saw my doctors receptionist and she said "Well Bob Thomas I never thought you would make it to manhood" LOL

All you guy's duck hunting I can't blame you I love duck hunting too! I once told a friend that wanted to tag along with me that its addicting and now that's all he does is duck hunt.

We need more points though! LOL

Chago at least your finger's not on the trigger! LOL

2. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Haha, I've had people say they're shocked I'm still alive, but knock on wood I've never broken anything!

Yeah I think this team will get some points on the board.

I tagged along with a friend once... now I have a new shotgun, set of waders, about 50 decoys, calls.... glad I stopped my expensive car hobby lol

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well the color kit for my G3 bow came in a while back and I've been too busy to take my bow in to get it readjusted after breakin and get the color kit installed. It turned out great, I had the blue wrist strap taken of and replaced wit ha blackout one because I thought the blue one just looked :dan:

While the bow guy checked out my cams, it was obvious they had gone out of time so he took it over to the workbench and fixed that. I told him I had moved the rest to try to adjust the broadheads shooting right from the fieldpoints and that seemed to irk him a bit. I said well I had to try something with the broadheads shooting 10" right...that just was wrong. He said well the cams were out of time, I said well there ya go, lol.

So long story longer...he reset everything to center and re-paper tuned it and ironed that all out in short order. He fixed the fiber optics in my Carbon sights and I bought a new case that it fit in better. I bought a pack of rage heads and also a pack of killzones to try out....got home and set up my target and started shooting. Had to reset all my sight pins but shazam...no more shooting broadheads to the right. I shot a group of field points so tight they were stacked touching and the third one went through the target. My fixed blades were grouped loose but it was getting so dark I couldn't see the bullseyes on the target with a crap through my peep so I stopped at 20 yards.

I'll try to post up some pics of the G3 with all the new color on it tomorrow. Soon as I finish setting my pins I'm getting into a stand if I have to take off work a day, lol.

4. Bob Thomas

Dislikes Received:
    Go get um Covey!

5. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't get to make it out this morning. There was a pretty severe storm going through so no sense in getting all my stuff wet.

Brent, let's see some pics!

6. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well my usual migration of deer to my property is a little late. Absolutely no sign yet and there usually here by end of September.

So I went for a little walk today and am now sitting in a stand just to have some fresh hair and type this. During my walk I took a few pics. Tell me if I'm crazy or these are deer sign.

Two pics of tall grass may be tough to see but tons I the grass was tramped down and some in oval shapes. Is this bedding? Also I found a skinny tree in a pretty thick cedar area. Is this a scrape or a raccoon chewing ? Lol and lastly at the base of a tree that's all full of pine needles. There's a spot totally cleaned off. Tell me what you think boys. I don't expect to see any deer to ugly I'm just sitting stupidly lol

Damn pics won't load from cell phone. Ill post later

Attached Files:

7. Oklabowyer

Oklabowyer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tough to tell but it looks like Sasquatches! Seriously though I am in a similar situation. Getting tons of pics but all does and a couple of small bucks. Only the one good one a few weeks ago. This season is starting off strange for sure but I think persistence is the key. Hang in there and you'll get your chance sooner or later.

8. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Them deers will show up and make a bigger entrance this way, lol.

I didn't get to do any shooting today or take any pics of my bow today....I worked on a deer stand all afternoon. I built a 10' stand that's 10'x10' for myself and folks and sister and brother in law several years ago and just made jerry rigged windows for it. Framed it all and built it from particle board about a decade ago.

It's lasted well and done it's job but the windows warped last winter and started leaking, the shingles started leaking and hurt the floor. So I bought all new material to replace all the bad stuff and metal roofing for it and started fixing it back up today. Got it tore apart and thenew floor and roof put back on it so far....finishing tomorrow I hope.

9. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted Friday and Saturday...no shooter bucks. Lots of does and fawns...and one 3 pt. Weather is just too crappy still being warm and rainy. Came down with a cold sat night too....real pumped about that!

Going to recoup for a day or two and try to break this cold. Hopefully be back out ASAP.

10. Bob Thomas

Dislikes Received:
    Can't really see but it sounds like a bed, rub and a scrape.

11. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hoping to head down to the cabin after work on Friday. Then be able to hunt maybe an hour or two, and then Saturday and Sunday. Just depends on some logistics and whatnot.

The good news, is that my uncle who owns the property said he has seen many more deer this year than years past, and it really wasn't that bad years past. I've never killed an animal on that property so I'm hoping to end that streak this year.

12. buckhunter1988

buckhunter1988 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys just wanted to let you know how Saturday went. Well didn't see a single deer in the morning but the evening was a diff story I took a chance and hunted one of the properties I have literally right out side of the city of Pittsburgh and seen 9 doe and 3 buck and one of them was a big ol mature white rack 8 point he came into 70 yards but no closer. Anyhow I'm in a stand we have hung about 30 yards down over the hill on a platform that they like to travel through to get to the food source on top of the ridge. I'm gonna try and add some photos since I'm on stand hopefully they will load.

13. Bob Thomas

Dislikes Received:
    I don't like being on the second page so......

14. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was so looking forward to October 1. Now I've moved that to November 1 lol

15. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Well....this year is following may last three years, simply no time to play and go hunting. Still so overloaded with construction work I can't breath and now running up on harvest. On top of that I decided to trade no-till drills, my 10' drill was too little and my 30' wide drill is a tad too much for my biggest tractor to be comfortable on the terraced fields. So I took off the afternoon to go look at a 15' tha tcame on the market locally and also needed a 70' auger for the new bins I had built this summer. So this afternoon I bought both the used drill and a new 10"x71' grain auger. Crooked dealer wanted to trade even up for the drills...my 30' is a $30K machine at minimum and his is a $17k machine, lol...I said no thanks I'll sell mine myself and take yours. SO now I have one too many drills on hand (keeping the little one). (Insert explicative here*) A lot of the time I have to work with machinery dealers and buy/trade with them but good grief....I'd rather floss with piano wire.

Meanwhile back to the new bow......I recieved my new Trophy Ridge React-One sight today. I just got it put on this evening, thing looks effin sick. If the thing tunes and shoots as good as it looks, it'll be quite a setup. I put up one of my ladder stands here in the yard at my little practice range this morning before leaving for work so I can get used to shooting from a tree again. Going to try my best to get this thing tuned out tomorrow and take a morning and an afternoon off to hunt here shortly before harvest starts.

16. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Guys, just checked the scoreboard. We are falling behind quick haha. We need to kill some chit!! :ninja:

17. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I put my new sight on last evening and sighted it in this morning at work. I'm still not happy with my groups but at least the broadheads are shooting pretty much with my field points. I'm shooting 2" groups at 20 yards but only 4" groups at 30. At 40 yards I was all freaking over the place but by the time I moved back to 40 I had shot for about an hour and this draw weight is too heavy for that chit so I was getting a little wobbly and hotter than heck at 80F standing in the sun.

My new release also has no trigger adjustment on it and it pulls too hard so now I'm a bit jerky with it anticipating the trigger snap. I caught myself yanking on the stupid thing and also pulling off the target. I may go back to my old elcheapo release.

As soon as I get a chance I'll be in the stand...I'm pretty confident out to 30 yards now but I need a lot more shooting time with this rig.

This react one pin sight is nice but I'm not all that satisfied with the markings on it, they are so wide that the indicator can be off a bit up or down and at 40+ yards it makes a big difference.

18. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Covey if your too busy making money ill be happy to come kill those bucks lol

I for the first year in many have tons of time to hunt but just can't on the spots I have due to weather, and the current deer situation. I'm eating my balls looking out window lol don't worry in a couple more weeks ill post some points on the board. This warm weather is just stupid. My woods are all evergreens and deer flock to it when all the hardwoods are bare. That has not quite totally happened yet as its like Bahamas outside.

19. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was just thinking about this, but the season is still pretty young. I hunted last weekend and saw plenty of does and fawns with no good shot. Most were out of range.

I'll be back out 10.19-20.2013

20. Copper dog

Copper dog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys you can add 50 points I shot a 100 pound doe tonight. I will post the pics on the score board tonight when I get home or tomorrow. image.jpg I also found a pair of sunglasses I lost when I hung this stand in July. Deer have been moving like crazy around here lately.