mock scrape or mineral lick?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by smensen, Aug 30, 2013.

1. smensen

smensen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys i have a great spot for my stand this year. I hunt in MS and its still hot. I have lots of pics of does but no bucks. I think its just too damn hot for them, but anyway I want to either put in a mock scrape or mineral lick. The scrape is old but my plan was to reuse it and get it activated. Its about 10 yards off a deer trail. Since rut doesnt start until mid-late december i was going to use tinks scrape starter until i see signs of pre rut and rut and use buck urine and what not. Or i was thinking of starting a mineral lick in the area instead. I hunt in a great patch of woods with red and white oaks. What are your guys thoughts?

2. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A little late for a mineral lick if you read some of the other threads in here. Is your goal to get some pics from your cam or what? If thats the case dump some corn out there and a salt block. Start a lick in jan-feb

3. smensen

smensen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No i have good pics. Just lots of pics of does. Just trying to help my odds of killing a buck later. Im trying a new area on our property. It has only been lightly hunted and we always see lots of deer in this area, so im giving it a shot this year. So im thinking scrape. Im not starting it until october as rut doesnt start until mid-end of december here.

4. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would just bait and get lots of does coming in so when one in heat comes through during the rut you have a good chance at seeing a mature buck

5. smensen

smensen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Cant bait in MS. Im putting out acorn crush right now while my camera is out since there are already plenty of oaks. Once Oct 1st comes no more food. But thanks for the point about the does. I killed a 150 class non typical on this property, and we know there are still bigger bucks than the one i harvested. We didnt start scouting really until the past few weeks. Been underway and mid summer temps are extremely high.

6. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well good luck. I try to scout all year.

7. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a doe spot i bait all yr just for the rut. Got both my first and second buck this way.