Official team 25 - Rack Nasties thread

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by indynotch50, Aug 19, 2013.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought some mineral blocks Sunday while in town, I need to get those split up and set out at the cameras...the way the beans looks I expect that's about the only thing that will get much attention to pull deer in.

The C'mere Deer stuff works pretty good poured on corn too.

2. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have had no luck with attractants. Just good ole corn. Everytime I add scented sweet attractants the coons crush it in a night. Plain old corn works best for me. And minerals... I have never in 8 years seen a picture in any of my hunting grounds of a deer using one. I don't know why I have tried every brand.

3. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    You've tried every brand of minerals?
    I have always had the best luck with just simple, run of the mill, brown trace mineral salt blocks. All the others I have tried are just expensive marketing ploys IMHO. Attractants are kinda the same way...deer seem to be drawn more to the C'mere deer liquid on corn than plain corn from my experience though. It's the only one I have tried that I endorse so-to-speak.

The brown trace mineral salt blocks work fantastic...deer will lick them away and eat a hole in the ground where it sat. I also think they help the antlers along with high calcium content soil/plant matter via ag lime. The brown blocks are also mega cheap at about $5 each for a 50# block. Now some of the "deer blocks" are actually a mineral/protien block not just a mineral block but I've never really had much success with them....could be because of having so many food plots though.

4. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    College was the chit. Hunt everyday and also not miss class...then party. Miss that time in my life, but was also broke as a joke trying to fund my bow hunting hobby while in school.

where do you get them for $5 each? I have also tried a numerous amount of things, and am not in love with any yet. Trophy rocks lasted a while for me through winter and stuff.

5. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    We have a farm supply chain locally called Orscheln Farm and Home that sells the brown trace mineral blocks for $5 each and as a farmer I don't have to pay sales tax because they are a livestock item.

6. jvanhees

Dislikes Received:
    That's a sweet deal. Those trophy rocks are $20 each here. I tried the monster raxx on a certain property, and the deer didn't touch it...not sure what that was all about...will have to try it again earlier in the year. Acorn rage worked for me on that property, but tried it on another and the deer didn't touch it. May just go back to corn and taking pics of coons.

Got some more new bucks on cam, will post up at some point!

7. jvanhees

Dislikes Received:
    Question - G5 T3's or NAP Killzones this year for me?? This is off of your personal experience...not BH.COM mass majority opinions please...although I do love NAP heads. I have many buddys who shoot the rages and T3's and love them both. I like the T3 as its foot print is much smaller off the tip of the arrow.

I cant decide. Help.

8. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Can't help you with that decision as I have no experience with either one. Contrary to "Yes's" comments in the Carbon Knight thread...I try to avoid giving opinions on things I have no experience with, lol.

9. jvanhees

Dislikes Received:
    Ha, must have missed that one!

10. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm also considering the G5 T3s this year. I'd like to try a mechanical, but certainly don't want any kind of failure to deploy, etc... That being said I may just stick with the G5 strikers that performed admirably for me last year.

11. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gyle, Welcome to the thread. No worries on checking in late. We're all busy right now trying to get work and stuff out of the way before hunting season. Also, you play soccer so that is a good enough excuse for me (been playing for 28 years, on and off for the last 5 or 6 though).

I'm not sure what broadhead I'm going to go with. Probably the killzones. I have no experience with the T3s.

Yes won't last long, he's too combative about other's opinions.

12. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've used Rages the last two years. I shoot a 27 year old bow but it's set at seventy pounds. It's not a fast as the new bows but I love it! I got a five point 2011. I had put down a drag trail from my stand and when he hit that he got real nervous and started to leave. I figured it was now or never and when I released the arrow he ducked to bolt and I got in the liver. Almost cut it in half. The deer went about 40-50 yards. I lost the blood trail once when It jumped a river.
    Last year I got a nine point. The exact same spot as the year before. This one had no idea I was there. I double lunged him. When the arrow hit the air around the deer filled with a red mist! That deer went about 40 yards also. The blood trail was unbelievable. I love the rages, I may try the hypodermic rage this year. If I can find them.
    B

13. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Man Bob I bet that bow is a beast. I also bet you have some really cool stories. I could go on for days and I've only been hunting a few years.

14. buckhunter1988

buckhunter1988 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the rages and honestly had bad luck with them I always worried about the blades but when I switched to the t3's I didn't have to worry about it cause the way the little metal orings with the fingers onthem hold the blades in. They hold em tight but not to tight to the point they won't deploy and they are accurate I shot a doe last year that had been hit by a car and she needed put down but anyhow I shot her at 83 yards and that broadhead flew like a heart seeking missile

15. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ya when I bought the bow it was the cat's azz! Now, compared to the new bows it's big and heavy but I don't still hunt anymore so I just carry it to my stand. It is a tough well made bow and I can do the work of tuning it myself.
    I usually get up in my tree about an hour before light. I had one of these weird kinda s shaped bow holder on my climber. I got all settled in and put my bow on the fu@Ken bow holder and it seemed to pop right out of it into the darkness. I heard it hit the ground with a thud and thought the worst. I climbed down found the bow and climbed back up the tree and waited for day light. Nothing, not a dam thing happened to the bow. I can't say the same for the holder. :0)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  16. jvanhees

Dislikes Received:
    Ha good stories Bob! and thanks BH88, I have faith in the T3's from what I have seen with my own eyes....and I like their footprint. And G5 is a MI company....so far I am leaning towards them.

Although..I have always wanted to shoot a deer with a BH that has a 2" cutting diameter.

17. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Carbon express is a MI company also and here you are shooting Eastons... I can't for the life of me think of the city, but it's right north of Flint a few minutes... I guess I could look it up, but i've spent too much time explaining the location.

18. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys, I put in 13 hours at work then came home and my brother and I worked on the plot for a few hours. We have a 1/4 acre clover plot and now we're putting in a small kill plot of big and beasty.

I also check the card. I have 200 pictures in 4 days of a doe and her twin fawns. Also, in the clover plot, I have a pic of a new buck, he's not at all a shooter though. It's just very interestig because they are coming from the east to the west, which is odd for our property, but good also. We have a small 5-7 acre woods that's not hunted at all. It's crazy thick and the terrain is very steep. I've always just used it as a safe bedding area.

For the first time in years, our little property is really starting to come together.

Attached is our little property. It's 19.6 acres. This is taken looking from the south to the north. The woods to the right is the east woods that is the safe area I think they're coming from. The green is the clover plot and yellow the plot we're planting now.
    We have a stand over top of the yellow plot we call our "kill stand". We've taken many deer off the top of that hill from that stand.
    The other stand is a 60 yards or so west of the green clover plot. It's never produced, but it's rarely hunted. We might start now though with the nice 8 on cam.

Attached Files:

19. buckhunter1988

buckhunter1988 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like a nice settup you got there (Indy) hopefully the kill plot will get it done

20. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, looks good!