$250 for a 3 pin sight? Really?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ruck139, Aug 8, 2013.

1. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Browsing through the Cabelas catalog, I was shocked to see the prices of bow sights. Most well over $100 and a couple were $250! Correct me if I'm wrong, but a sight is really nothing more than a few pins and a bracket to attach them to the bow. Once you set them to where you want them they just sit there. They have zero effect on accuracy. I am not a cheap guy, but there is no way I would pay anywhere near those prices for few pins and a bracket. The $12, 5 pin sight I picked up on ebay works just fine thanks. If there is a valid reason to spend that much on a sight, please educate me.

2. illinibowhunter

illinibowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think I spent 75 and that was plenty enough!

3. PRHC Bowman

PRHC Bowman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    $88 from elders .com for a Montana Black Gold Rush 3 pin. Best less than $100 I've ever spent. But yes once sighted in its all YOU>

4. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I spent 120 on my sight, but its mostly personal preference. The star money gets a lot of added bonus features not found on less expensive sights

5. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    You don't even want to know what my sight cost then. :)

6. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ridiculous. Maybe. Theres a reason why thry are all priced differently. We have choices. Its just like cars, some are happy with geo metros and some want Ferraris. Pay what you can justify paying. I wont look down on anyone for paying a lot or a little.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

7. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In general, I believe its all getting more and more expensive. I paid 150 for my Spot Hogg years ago (best investment I ever made in sights) and today, that same sight, with a couple of bells and whistles is 250.

It's getting to a point where I am no longer willing to shell out the asking price for these things anymore and will look for lightly used rather than new. Sure, I can afford it, but its just the principle I have of feeling its way overpriced. Most of the high end bows are now at the 1K mark. Sorry... but that is plain ridiculous and these companies are gouging us big time. We've pissed and moaned about gas prices going up a few bucks, but not many are saying much about the price of a new bow going up 50-100 a year when they're still built using the same materials as they were 5 years ago. Until we all collectively say enough is enough and stop buying new, they will continue to go up in price as long we we're all crazy enough to pay the asking price.

8. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah $250 on a sight is a bit much for me. I'm sure some of the pricey ones have nice features and great fit and finish though. It's just a matter of deciding whether those features are worth the extra money to you.

Or we collectively start buying and continue to buy a less expensive model. As long as there's people out there that can justify spending $1k on a bow to themselves, they'll still manufacture them.

I spent $300 on a brand new Bear Encounter and I couldn't be happier. To me it's about cost effectiveness. I'm not going to justify $1k on a bow even though I know it'll probably shoot like a dream and look awesome. My $300 bow may be a little slower, may be a little louder and may not feel as smooth as a high-end bow but at the end of the day, I like what I purchased, I feel like I definitely got my money's worth and it'll kill deer just as dead as a high-end bow.

You can't get 'gouged' as long as you can tell yourself you got your money's worth.

9. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    More "features", that IMO are unnecessary in the first place, not only mean added price, but added weight and bulkiness too. In the case of sights I really think less is more.

10. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You get what you pay for... to each his own....

11. duckbuster1484

duckbuster1484 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What he said. I paid more for my sight than some people pay for their bows. It doesn't mean that it’s any better than what works for you; it’s just what I'm comfortable with and confident in. I also appreciate some of the features like tool less adjustments and completely encapsulated fibers.

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You get what you pay for doesn't always apply in my experience. Sometimes companies take advantage of the phenomena of "the guy that likes to brag about his rediculously expensive setup" just for the sake of bragging. We've all known this guy at some point.

I'm guilty of being that guy from time to time, mostly in the past. As I've gotten older, that subsided a great deal and I generally seek a balance of high quality and a fair price. I have expensive tastes but I don't see buying the most expensive option when a cheaper one will be just as effective and I find myself buying used stuff or salvaging used stuff pretty often.

But hey, if someone can afford it and that's what they want....go for it, I don't see anything wrong with it. I have to admit that I do enjoy looking at "that guys" uber expensive setup, top of the line everything. I think many of us do if we'll admit it. I think that's why shows like "lifestyles of the rich and famous, mega machines, I want that, pickers, pawn stars, etc...do so well. We kinda like seeing people spend money buying expensive stuff.

What I don't like seeing is the guy that buys that stuff and can't afford it and has trouble making ends meet. He might drive a rusty POS vehicle that his parents bought him and can't afford his child support but he's got the best archery setup money can buy, lol.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  13. SLINGnMISS

SLINGnMISS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Basic law of economics. You charge the most that the market will bare. If a new bow comes at that's 2k and nobody buys it, the market will not sustain it. They will price it cheaper and cheaper until it starts getting purchased. Inversely if everyone is without hesitation paying $125 for a sight, it would stand to reason that they woul pay $150. They continue to do this until the price is to high and they then go back to the highest price with mass consumption.

14. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Same here. I think that's a little ridiculous. The same can be said for a lot of things, but especially hunting. I always laugh when someone says they "need those $2000 swarovski binos" and they hunt their friend's farm maybe 5 times a year. Unless your job consists of looking through glass 7 days a week (like a guide) there's absolutely no need for ridiculously expensive binos; unless you just like wasting money to look "good".

^ This.

15. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Funny how most guys drop that coin on scent/scentless/senseless products which are expendable yet a quality sight that lasts a lifetime is too much?

16. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A tuned in cheap sight can be just as accurate and effective as an expensive one but you can't untune a deer's nose. You can't use the sights on a bow to shoot a deer if you ignore the wind and don't cover your scent so that argument is moot.

17. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I paid over $300 for my sight. It is the best investment I ever made with archery. Its accurate and tough. I'm confident it will help me put some deer down started in a month or so. I will probably never buy another sight. When I upgrade my bow I'll just use the same sight.

18. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think you start getting into the area of diminshing returns when you get to a certain price point. Is a $50 sight more than likely better than the $12 Cobra at walmart? Sure. Is a $250 sight that much better than a $150 sight? Possibly, but how much better is debateable. If the sight has bright pins, solid construction (metal for me) and many adjustments, thats really all I am looking for.

19. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What in the world kind of sight is $300? A Spot Hogg?
    I mean, hey....if there is a product that has features that are worth the money then I don't care what it costs, up to a point.

Then again, modern compounds are so impressive and even cheap sights are good enough, I'm not sure where the line is between fashion and practicality. I can kill loads of deer with a simple recurve...did it for years shooting bare bones traditional with bare fingers and no sights at all with aluminum shafts and some wooden shafts with double blade heads....but my gear didn't look like a tactical sniper financed by the US military either.:ninja:

20. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I don't get. How can a sight be "accurate"? It doesn't do anything but sit there. My point to all this is a good drop away rest, better arrows, better bow, a good release aid, all these can improve your accuracy and therefore chances at a deer. A sight can't do that, in fact, more money and more features usually mean more weight hanging on the side of your bow, which actually hurts accuracy by inducing imbalance and torque. Not to mention they are vastly overpriced for what they are. The profit margin on high end sights must be huge!