Tacklebox & iHunt VS Tynimiller & snake_03

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Jul 25, 2013.

1. DucksUnlimitedHunter27

DucksUnlimitedHunter27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Side bet? Woah there. I still need to get the rest of my stands up, cameras out, and feeders filled! I'm going home this weekend to do this, but it'll probably be a muddy mess through a 10ft tall corn field!

But I guess if mule deer count then this may be a different story! Really hoping to stick one out by Hill City October 10-15! Also hoping the rest of my bruisers from last year around, I got one buck running around with messed up genetics that is going to be huge this year!

2. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ha ha ha, yesterday you were all ready to talk some smack and now your backtrackin???? Heck I even graciously offered to let ya come hunt on one of my leases to make life easier for ya... :poke:
    You have picked one wet and sloppy weekend for hangin stands! That'll be fun :evilgrin:
    I'll even let you use that Mule deer, far as I'm concerned if you punch that tag (and I hope you do) there is no reason it shouldn't count. So lets see aside from this main bet I have a side bet going for first doe down with Max so how about a first buck down bet?????
    Step up or ......:evilgrin:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  3. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is gonna be my excuse if we lose.

4. DucksUnlimitedHunter27

Dislikes Received:
    Well last year I waited for the rut to tag a buck, doe on opening weekend! But sure, I'll take ya on the first tagged buck, for some friendly competition.

And I may take you up on that offer to come hunt! I'm going to scout some public land that's close in the coming weeks. But I should have no problem getting home on the weekends to hunt with things get in full swing. Let me know if you need any help out around there, I'd be more than willing to give you a hand.

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ducks is public ground in KA worth it for someone out of state to put in for out of state tags? I've given this thought but unaware of what the public ground situation is like out there?

6. DucksUnlimitedHunter27

Dislikes Received:
    You know just as much as I do. Lol. Never hunted public. Being at school I've decided to kill the weekends on some public land 45 minutes away when I can't make the two hour drive home.

I've heard good things, find someone who knows some spots and you're set. I haven't been out to the public spots but someone has pointed me in the right direction. Stuff like if you hunt the public land west side of the lake rather than the east there's a lot less pressure.

Maybe Tacklebox has heard of people going out there? But I've personally never tried, it'll be a learning experience for me.

I'm not sure how the out of state tags work, but for residents you get one buck tag. And you can use it on either sex either species. This year I'm going out to western KS to hunt Muley's. I have access to some of my dads clients land as well as some family friends land.

But I've been told out west folks don't take bowhunters seriously, and if it isn't leased out, they'll show you where the deer are and tell you good luck getting them. Essentially you can knock on doors and be set. There are some BIG mule deer out west. So hopefully I come across some!

I've gotten property maps and gone on google maps to see what it looks like. These are just a few fields I looked at, and have access to for my track out there. Hopefully I'm bringing something home with me. If not best believe a big whitetail is waiting on my property during the rut.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Those maps are the public ground you're hitting? Or private you'll be one?

8. DucksUnlimitedHunter27

Dislikes Received:
    That's the private ground I've gained access near the KS/CO border. Where I'll be hunting mule deer. I'll get some shots of my whitetail property and the public land I know about.

9. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Ty I have no idea about public land in KA but I know a bit about some in KS :poke:

Pretty large tract of public a couple miles from my house that holds some absolute beasts. Like most public land ya just gotta get off the beaten path. Once gun season opens you are about screwed but untill then you casn have some great success. Been a couple of true monsters come off of it in the past.

Helps that one of my neighbors is a DNR biologist and another a Warden both for that area. They are a wealth of info when it comes to the good spots

10. DucksUnlimitedHunter27

Dislikes Received:
    Alright, here's just some of the ground that I hunt (private) for whitetails. I've been staying south of the river. The people to the north have just an unbelievable setup.

There is a bluff with ag fields all around, and down the edges of the bluff back towards me it is thick timber that they have 50x25 yard food plots cut into the woods. Really thick, turkey's and deer bed up on the hills of the bluffs.

The lady's husband died 5 or so years ago. He used to do guided turkey and deer hunts. When he died she stopped putting feed out, but they are all over the place.

I've hunted on the other side of town but prefer this spot. I see a stupid amount of deer. I've been across the river a few times, but I'm going to try to gain access to their part of the land across the river for this season. Take a look:

[​IMG]

Now for public:
    1) Ask Tacklebox, I haven't been out, but the area I'm trying this year is called Clinton Lake. You can find it on google maps and look around to see, I'm not exactly sure what you can hunt and what you can't. I'll find that out in the next week or so.

[​IMG]

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    TJ, I wouldn't be asking for ya to give up any of your spots or close friends but would you be available for a pointed finger if I ever draw a Kansas tag and can't find private?

12. DucksUnlimitedHunter27

Dislikes Received:
    Well shoot. Guess I didn't zoom in far enough. I'm going to have to go out and take a look at this! Looks real good to me, and I'm sure there are plenty more public spots around.

[​IMG]

13. DucksUnlimitedHunter27

Dislikes Received:
    I'd give you a hand no questions asked. I'll get you in a stand if you draw a tag.

14. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Ty you draw the tag and I will give you my address. Nuff said

15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    There is unit/areas in Kansas correct? Which ones are you guys from so that I'd atleast have a friendly pointer if I draw one? Build up preference points for a year or two if nothing else.

16. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt both unit 6 and 14. The public I am familar with is in 6

17. DucksUnlimitedHunter27

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt 14 and 15 on private land. Not sure what the public land at Clinton is in. I know out west this year I'll hunt units 1 and 2.

Tacklebox- what's the public land in 6? I need to go get a new hunting atlas. Used to always have those for pheasant hunting and WIHA.

18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Hey back off I plan on hunting it in a year or two :lol: !

19. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    The unit 6 public land is around the Marion County reservior. Can't remember exactly how many acres but there are areas at both the north and south sides of the lake and also along the back of the dam on the river (one of the better areas) Additionally there is a waterfowl sanctuary area that is open for hunting at certain times of the season.

20. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where do I sign up? :evilgrin: