Are faster bows wounding more deer?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by frenchbritt123, Jun 25, 2013.

1. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    the proof is in the pudding!

2. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Almost all 230 fps bows will not have enough room in the sight block for a 60,70,80,90 yard pin anyway. I use to shoot heavy and went medium for 3ds and a 7 pin sight. My last 2 are 70/90 and can pin gap 80. To each his own. Again, on whitetails except for a field edge sit or a follow up shot a 30 yard pin is max anyway, practice and broadhead selection is way more important.

3. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    This doesn't directly relate to arrow speed, but to arrow weight. It's related, though, since it's a no-brainer that the heavier you go the slower you'll shoot.

I agree with your statement that no arrow is going to beat the sound of your bow to the deer. That's a given. That's one of the reasons that I shoot a heavier arrow. If someone hasn't tried this then they should - just one time. Shoot a borderline light arrow (5 grains per pound of draw weight) and then shoot an arrow that weighs 200 grains more. Have someone listen or record the sound and listen to the difference in the sound of the shot. I guarantee that the heavy arrow will absorb more of the bows energy and reduce the sound of the shot considerably.

Also, while it's true that the sound of your bow will get to the deer well before your arrow, a quiet shot from a longer distance, say 50 - 60 yards, (I don't consider 40 yards a long shot at all if I have a clear shot and the deer isn't alert) will most likely have the same affect on a deer that your vocalization to stop the deer will. He'll stop to figure out what the sound was and where it came from. Now imagine releasing a 350 grain arrow at 20 yards from a 70# afterburner bow and see what happens when he hears the shot. It's going to scare the droppings out of him. It'll more than likely be too late for him, but sometimes it won't be.

Like I said a long time ago on this forum - if you're standing somewhere daydreaming and I sneak up behind you and whisper "Hey", you might jump a little but you'll turn to see what the sound was. On the other hand, if I do the same thing and scream "HEY!!!" you'll probably jump out of your skivvies. Same concept with a bow.

I've witnessed this myself with my horses. I can stand by my horses and shoot my 530 grain arrows out of my 70# Drenalin and the horses will just stand there and not even flinch. I tried shooting a 70# Insanity with 375 grain arrows and every single shot would scare the crap out of the horses.

Another thing: Adding that weight to the front of your arrow (provided the arrow spine will support it), will just increase your FOC percentage and make your set-up much more forgiving. For me it's a win-win, but I understand that it's not for everyone.

4. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Excellent plan. :tu:

5. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, my max yardage on the hha slider is 64 yards. Well beyond my max for whitetails. I would make some slight adjustments to my arrows if I were headed out west. Probably drop to a 125 gr head:D and remove the factory wraps. Maybe only use a 50 gr brass insert instead of 75 gr.

But if you use pins, it's real easy to stack pins, but not as easy as having a pin set for that yardage.:D

sent from my samsung note 2

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  6. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I understand your point. I think it depends on the deer though. Some deer we actually yell at to stop them. I think for the deer that is just edgy to begin with, the sound of the bow will drop the deer or move the deer with poor results for the hunter. When I take a shot at 40 yards and under, I feel 100% I am gonna get the job done. I have made mistakes. Beyond 40 yards, I can not have the same confidence because of factors that I can not control.

7. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. As I said, a 40 yard shot at a relaxed deer standing still and giving me a clear shot is not a long shot at all for me. A nervous deer or one on full alert at 40 yards is an entirely different situation. It all boils down to being responsible enough to recognize the difference in the situations and acting accordingly and responsibly.

8. PSEREVENGEMAN

Dislikes Received:
    Edgy? Ha. Out west string jump hardly ever happens. A central Wisconsin whitetail that gets hammered for 4 months jumps when a squirrel farts 3 40's over. I don't care how quiet your bow is they will string jump it. After filming over 50 kills I now aim just above the chest line knowing they will string jump. This is my teen Son, self filmed. Slugs, ML, pistol, and bow. The doe at the 1:55 mark is the norm. Z7, 300 fps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQE6EOLfKnQ

9. frenchbritt123

Dislikes Received:
    "After filming over 50 kills I now aim just above the chest line knowing they will string jump." - I think we have different styles of hunting. I wish you luck and hope the 51st moves for you when you shoot.

10. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We take about 50 deer a year off our 600 acres we hunt. Mostly gun hunters.

The deer look like they are on crack here during the season and I have only had one deer duck the string and that was at 5 yards. I stopped it and it was looking at me. My furthest kill is 39 yards and I hit her high, I think she might have been ducking the sound of the arrow but I still killed her. I also might have just missed a little. ;)

11. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I'm really not trying to be a jerk here, but that doe at 1:55 would have been dead had that shot been placed correctly instead of high.

Believe it or not I'm very familiar with hunting pressured deer. One of the places I hunt a lot during my season is Mike Freeze Wattensaw WMA in Arkansas. Except for one draw ML hunt and one two day youth gun hunt, it's a bow only WMA. A LOT of folks hunt it and those deer get pressured as hard as any deer in the country. I would almost swear that by the time late season rolls around those deer walk around looking up in the trees and I know that they are very hard to take.

12. PSEREVENGEMAN

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, he screwed the pooch on that one. Asking a 15 year old to self film kills is a bit much but it's fun. Here's another bow only video same teen.

Bow Hunting in Central Wisconsin - YouTube

13. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He shot high on those too, the first ducked what looked like was going to be a bad hit and the second looked like it ducked as the arrow made contact.

I am watching on a phone so please, if I'm mistaken I'm sorry.

I have a 14 year old that has that issue from time to time. It usually boils down to not bending at the waist.

He is doing a pretty good job self filming though.

14. PSEREVENGEMAN

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, always"bow to the deer" but He was taking 20/year and things get alittle complacent and auto pilot then sh#t happens. It;s amazing what can be learned from watching film in camp, scoring bucks that were passed, ect.

15. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    makes perfect sense!

16. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    yeah i figured heavy arrow or not (really leaning towards heavier) no deer is running far with 2 popped airbags!

17. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great read. Thanks

I'm about 8.8 grains per pound.

18. PSEREVENGEMAN

Dislikes Received:
    My style of hunting is taking 35-40 baldies because the neighbors won't, 6 mature bucks, 12 acres of foodplots, 28,000 trees planted over 37 years, habitat management and giving youth ,disabled all the chances. If a 15 year old wants to film 50 bow kills with 2 in the book by 19 is somehow a turnoff, oh well. he won't get golf or needlepoint lesson from Dad.:)

19. frenchbritt123

Dislikes Received:
    Like I said I think we have different styles. Yours is probably better and I look forward to learning from you in the future. Anyone that plants over 750 trees a year is a friend of mine.

20. PSEREVENGEMAN

Dislikes Received:
    probably a web misconstrued message. I planted 2,400 last month. Caged 30 crabs/oaks. I get a kick out of habitat more then big bucks but will still dump a 150 plus in a minute..Especially educating the young on all. My Son has 2 booked and north of 50 bow kills by 19. I can take a dirt nap tomorrow and know he has the passion and vision to keep the dream alive. Starting his masters in conservation biology. Some state will not even know they have a bio dude who gets hunting at all levels.