Poison ivy

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by tacklebox, May 27, 2013.

1. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I typically don't get poison ivy. I've only had it once before. BUT I managed to get it this past week while turkey hunting. The kicker is other than a small spot on my neck it is ALL OVER my @&$!. Now to say this is miserable would be an understatement. It SUCKS! Anybody know of anything that will dry it up super quick? HELP....

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Now this is funny! Guess I will have something to make fun of you next week at camp! LOL

3. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How in the world do you get it on your A55? Never mind I don't want to know.

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Get a high quality Hydrocortisone cream. Wash the area really good. Dry it and Use a Q-tip to apply it to the affected areas. Make sure you don't use any wash cloth or towel more than once. I was using Caladryl, but it was not helping. Once I got this cream, it was gone in less than a week! I had it really bad last year. All over me!
    Also, spray EVERYTHING you have touched with Lysol. Every light switch, remote controls, coffee pot handle, door handles, bow, release, arrows, broadheads, toilet seat handle, refrigerator handle, stove handle, chapstick, steering wheel, gear shift, windshield wiper handle/knob, door handles on truck, keys, boots, shoe strings, mouse on computer. I think you get my point. EVERY DANG THING!!

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  5. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    It is NoT funny trust me. Lol ok maybe a lil bit

And it's not my azz .... Try the other side. All I can figure is I had touched it and then whipped it out to handle my business therefore getting it on Mr Stanley.

Where we were hunting it is everywhere. I didn't concern myself with it much cause I typically don't get it. But it sure seems to like that sensitive skin!

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  6. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Cool thanks I've been using the calamine and it helps the itch some but doesn't seem to be helping to clear it up. The itch seems to intensify at night really sucks

7. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it bothers you to bad go to the Dr or a prompt care clinic. They likely will give you a RX for a steroid dose pack That makes it dry up and go away quicker,
    They can give a steroid shot which is quicker acting than the pills. Some Doctors don't give the shots unless its a bad case or on your face near your eyes or private parts.. Since its on your butt they may give you the shot so it wont spread and get where it could "enter " your body.
    Id go to the dr and tell them you are getting ready to go on vacation(GTG) and don't want to be miserable. Ask for the shot......

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got it so bad once I ended up in the ED....red blotches( 6 -10 inches wide)and blisters. Round of steroids cleared it up... Good luck.

9. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Ya already thought about that and likely will if it doesn't improve quick. It's not on my butt it's around the other side. Ya know mans best friend next to the dog..... Which is why it sucks so bad! Feels like I'm wearin 60 grit undies.

10. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard all sorts of home remedies and over the counter stuff. I am not allergic to it so I cannot claim any is better than the other, but here are a few that I've heard: oatmeal poultice, vinegar, or Invarest. Good luck with it, I hear it sucks!

11. jjnowak

jjnowak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I get it every year.... at least once. I've already had it on my face, eyelid, and junk this year. It sucks. No, really. It sucks!

12. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I got poison oak on my arm a month ago and it scarred my arm. It was like a burn.

If it itches like crazy get a high quality hydrocortisone cream or just go pay $20 for the best precription cream they have......

13. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm highly allergic to it. Have it right now matter of fact. Turkey hunting too. IVAREST!!! This stuff is the bomb. It is at any walmart. Has an antisitamine for the reaction and an angelsic for the itch. Put it on liberally at night and then reapply in the morning but rub it in. Will be cleared up in two days. Bummer where you got it.:rant:

14. ICALL2MUCH

ICALL2MUCH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Zanfel - it will be gone in 4 days. Amazing stuff. They have it at Wal Mart.

15. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Now if I could only get the wife to help apply the cream. She isn't being a team player. Lol
    I read online today that chlorine will help dry it out... Any truth to that? Thought I might soak in the hot tub tonight but I initially thought that might be unpleasant or even make it worse.

16. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Go to the doc asap and get a steroid shot and a script for triamcinolone cream, apply it 2-3 times a day to the affected areas for help drying it up and with the itch.

I get it by practically just looking at it from across the field I'm pretty sure, so I just keep a tube of the cream on hand at all times.

17. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good advice above if its PI. Double down on the advice to see the doc for some steroids. Benedryl may also help you sleep and relieve some of the itch in the evening.

You are certain its not chiggers, right?

18. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    That must suck I'm in it all the time and typically don't have a problem. Gonna see if I can get into see the doc tomorrow.

19. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would soak it in cider.:nana:

20. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Best to just go to the doc - even if I don't get it bad I go to the doc to get a cortisone shot. It serves dual purposes - clears up my ivy and my seasonal allergies. It's not the best option, it's the only option!