2013 Food plots(Picture Heavy)

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Skywalker, May 23, 2013.

1. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet man a lot of work and time you put in that I hope it pays off for you this year

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got a chance to run over there Friday after work to check on the plots.

I'm not sure if the Eqyptian Wheat is just taking a little longer to germinate, or if they are getting picked off as they come up. I have been seeing lots of deer down in and around this buffer strip. There are some areas where it seems to be coming up good, and others where there's nothing at all showing up. I'll give it a week or so and see how it looks then. If it still doesn't look the way I think it should, I'm going to try and over seed it with some more EW.
    [​IMG]

My WTI Extreme plot is coming up pretty good. The Chicory and Persist Forb seem to be really coming in with the Clover being a little behind.
    [​IMG]

Here's one of the clover plot.
    [​IMG]

My Soybeans are starting to pop up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. scooters

scooters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks great did you spray the plots before tilling the grass under? If not I would recommend it.

4. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lookin good man! Got some nice plots!

5. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I did not this time. I have done it both ways in the past. I will hit the soybeans with Gly after about 3 weeks, and will hit the clover/extreme plots with Clethodim at about the same time.

6. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Man, it has rained a lot this week. We've gotten about 6 inches plus and still raining. My creek came really close to coming out of it's banks yesterday, and I'm hoping it can stay in after today's rain. If it comes out, it will probably ruin my EW strips and one of my clover plots. I'm hoping the rain will slow down!

7. d12jdm

d12jdm Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Would love to see some progress pics of your beans. I planted soy for the first time this year and wondering if I effed it up.

8. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    This was from last weekend. There were still lots of seed that were still germinating.
    [​IMG]

We have had tons of rain, and the temps have been way down compared to last year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Attached Files:

9. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Updated pictures from 6/8. We are still getting tons of rain and the temps have been well below average for this time of year. We are supposed to have some mid 90's all next week so I would expect to see a real jump in growth in the next week or so.

I hacked and squirted 3 out of the 4 trees w. Tordon earlier this year. You can really see the difference in the amount of foliage on the trees.
    [​IMG]

Here's the WTI Extreme plot. There's a lot of grass coming up in it, so I will need to address this. I'm going to give the Extreme a little more time though before I start hitting it with chemicals. There's stll quite a bit of it coming in and growing well. The chickory is really taking off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The soybeans are coming in pretty good. I always get nervous because I'm afraid their not going to fill in and canopy, but the came up just fine last year so I'm pretty confident they will this year as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's one of my WTI Trophy Clover micro plots, coming in pretty good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another Trophy Clover micro plot coming up good, and getting good traffic through it.
    [​IMG]

The Egyptian Wheat has me a little scared, as it is coming up but seems to be pretty slowly. I'm thinking the temps have a lot to do with that, and when we start to get those mid 90's days, I'm hoping it will really start to shoot up. Here's a picture from the screen around my shooting tower.
    [​IMG]

10. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like things are doing pretty good with the wheat exception. Great updates!

11. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I got a chance to get out this morning and sprayed the Soybeans with generic Roundup. I sprayed it at approx. 2 quarts per acre. There's quite a bit of grass and some broadleafs coming up pretty fast. They are in the 6-8" tall range right now, so hopefully a nice coating of Roundup will knock them out and give the beans a chance to out complete them. I may try and spray one more time before the flowering phase, but after that I will probably leave them alone. Only spot spraying some of the broadleaf weeds with 2-4D.

12. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    6-20, 5 Week update.

I sprayed my soybeans back on the 15th and got a chance to get over and take a look at them last Thursday evening. The beans are coming in pretty good and the Roundup did it's job for the most part. I missed a couple areas so I went back this morning a spot sprayed those areas with my backpack sprayer. Here's some pics of the progress.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see where I completely missed a strip while spraying here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Egyptian wheat is starting to come up good, I think this heat will really get the ball rolling. There's some that have grown to about 30-36" tall in areas.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The WTI Trophy Clover seems to be really taking off too. There's quite a few weeds growing up in it that I will have to address, but not yet.
    [​IMG]

I have another plot of Trophy CLover(didn't take any pics) That was completely covered in Giant Ragweed. I actually mowed it off at about 6". I'm hoping I didn't hurt the clover, but that ragweed was going to destroy the plot anyway. Worst case scenario, I will till it under and plant some turnips at the end of July, but I'm still holding out hope that the mowing will work.

13. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    lookin good!

14. SWitchBacKXT

SWitchBacKXT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man plots are looking awesome, i have enjoyed watching this thread with all the updates!

15. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looking good. I wish that the place I hunt was dry enough to start planting anything.

16. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not doing springplots this year but yours look great.

17. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    7 Week update. Soybeans seem to becoming up very nice. The roundup really did the job and killed pretty much all the competition.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The clover plots are coming up good, but I need to try and kill the competition. I need to buy some Clethodim, just hate spending the money.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Egyptian Wheat screen is starting to take off. It's almost as tall as the grass in my hay field now. Should really shoot up in the next couple weeks.
    [​IMG]

I planted the Egyptian Wheat around my tower blind. It's really starting to look good too. Should add that nice buffer area around the blind.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oh heck yeah, great updates!! Just reminded me I have a couple of pics to add to my food plot post as well. Really looking good from the beans to the clover. Looks like you'll definitely have the food for them this year!

19. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Update from 6/14. Little slow getting these up, but here's some updated pics of the plots.

The soybeans are doing really will and have started to flower.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Egyptian Wheat is really starting to take off. It's ranging from about 4 to over 6 feet tall already.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looks great!