Goose hunting by treatment plant.........

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by frenchbritt123, Apr 22, 2013.

1. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think you know where I am going with this. Yeah I like pork and I know where they have been. All jokes aside, we hunt deer, dove, rabbit and pheasant in an area that has a small pond. Across the street is a sewer treatment plant. It is loaded with geese and the landowner of where we hunt wants some of the geese thinned out this year. I will not hunt them if I can not eat them. Does anyone have any insight with this? I would guess eating the feathers would make you sick, but what about the meat?

2. realtree08

realtree08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i love goose. breatst them out with the bone in and wrap them in bacon. put in a slow cooker with cream of mushroom soup along with some carrots and celery.

or this may sound funny but words. breast them out (without bone) and cut the breast into one inch chunks. get a bowl and soak them in milk overnight. the milk gets rid of the gamey taste and tenderizes them a bit. i usually grill these peices but i guess you could cook them however you wanted.

good luck!!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

3. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think he's questioning the proximity to the sewage plant regarding how the meat will be. That's a tough one. I'm not sure I'd eat them, but if they are a nuisance, I'd have no problem shooting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.skyangler.com

4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well you figure geese fly, so the geese that are in that sewage plant are going to be in fields and what not in the area as well were other hunters probably hunt and then eat them. How would they know those geese were in the sewage plant. I would say that your probably ok to eat them if your not hearing of other waterfowl hunters in the area getting sick from eating goose. Even if you don't want to eat them, if they are causing a problem, I would still be hunting them. Geese can do some damage to an area.

5. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's hard to know where any gees you take have spent their time. The geese that are taken miles away from the treatment plant could very well have spent the night on the treatment pond. You'd probably not hesitate eating them. Keep the landowner happy and enjoy the hunt.

Man, I type slow.

6. flystraightandtrue

flystraightandtrue Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Id say go for it, Lord knows where the geese have been that i have shot in my day.

7. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One of my best duck hunting holes is near a treatment plant. Go for it. They taste no different. Ducks and Geese love those places.

8. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    These migratory birds move thousands of miles a year. Just cause you kill him on a beautiful river doesn't mean he wasn't sitting on a **** pond not 3 days prior.

Don't sweat it.

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you are concerned, take more precautions in how you clean the birds. Meat should be fine.

10. frenchbritt123

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all of the help. Tried researching online and didn't find much, however your answers make a lot of sense. I will be hunting and eating goose.

11. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have hunted many times in the same situation for geese and ducks. There is a pond just like the one you say and is loaded with waterfowl. We've been killin birds off of there for 4 years now and i haven't gotten sick from them. Go for it :rock:

12. frenchbritt123

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks and it looks like you shoot a good bow.

13. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh you bet. I love the Rampage XT