As a Bow hunter what will you do different this year?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bow String Depot, Apr 14, 2013.

1. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is a good thread.

I have found a few new trails and areas of interest while out scouting and shed hunting. So I plan on preparing quite a few new spots for my climber. Also plan on getting my first trail camera (covert) and using that to start patterning movements better. I think this will be a great step forward towards harvesting my first buck with a bow and should definitely increase my chances over last season.

2. G-Street

G-Street Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully take a doe with a recurve. I'm ordering one at the end of this month and it's a 10 week process for the guy to make it. That should give me time to get really good with it. I'll hunt with the compound until I get a good buck and then hang it up when it comes doe season. Well. that's the plan, anyway.

3. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully we will both have pictures behind a buck this fall. :tu:

4. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heck yeah man! I have a good feeling its gonna happen for both of us the coming season. Hopefully you get yours on vid aswell to share. I'm excited to start following your hunts this fall. Its gonna be awesome bro.

5. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Kill 4 bucks over 125 :D

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

6. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kill a booner instead of a P&Y.

7. ZXTMike

ZXTMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Headshot turkey with the bow, self-filmed. Both firsts for me.

8. The Bounty Hunter

The Bounty Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm leaving the camera at home i passed up two 150+ deer within 25 yds. this year because i couldn't get good footage of them and looking back I'm kicking myself..:bash:

9. Swampman242

Swampman242 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to start filming my hunts beginning in the turkey season in a few weeks and start shooting from an elevated position when practicing.

10. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know im super excited to get out there already. I might be on some pretty good land to hunt this fall. Im on the waiting list right now but there is good chance ill get to hunt there.

11. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Go for a bigger buck an work on self filming I got a couple new cams so looking forward to that also have a yote problem too so I gotta handle that also good luck to all

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

12. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm really not going to be doing anything different than I have for the last couple of years. I'll be doing the same things again this year. Fine tune my food plots as well as my stand locations.

13. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Going to shoot more this summer. I want to start getting better at longer distances. Never really tried beyond 40 target shooting. Would like to be able to shoot to beyond 50 for targets. Would like to be comfortable at shooting an elk 40-50 yards away. Deer will still probably be in the 30 yards or less with most my set ups.

Starting May 1st I'm going to get real serious about getting in shape. I exercise now, but my nutrition and eating habits are suspect. 4 months of training to really get into shape. Going to shoot after exercising to hopefully create tougher shots.

We will be planting some trees on our farm and tending to our food plot as needed.

14. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on how much I can get my 5 year old daughter with me hunting. If she's game to come with more this year I might shoot the 1st doe that gives me a shot while she's with and be done with deer hunting for the year. I love mature buck hunting a TON and we usually only have one tag In my zone but I know for a fact my daughter would LOVE to see her dad shoot a deer while she's with.

Last year when she came with her 1st time we had a few doe's with In 10 yards. She wanted me to shoot one so bad. A week or 2 after I thought about and wished I would've for her sake.

15. nate

nate Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have 30 acres of new, private land to hunt. So I'm going to slip in a couple of stands. There is TONS of buck sign on that 30; It's situated in the middle of about 1000 acres of private land that nobody hunts! I also have my sights set on a spike believe it or not. There is a big deer running around on public land that has two "elephant tusks" growing out of his head.

16. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Gonna be more aggressive, but smarter with my stand locations in the early season without burning out the properties. Also, I have been and will continue to scout (off the properties and on the properties). Finally, shoot, shoot and then shoot my bow again this Summer.

17. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Scout more, which with new cams and getting a couple more will help, move stands to better locations or make current locations better, get my shooting dialed in more especially at longer distances. Had a nice mature 8 pointer come in a couple times closest being about 55-60 yards in a open field, passed and few days later neighbor killed him with shotgun. Overall jus make smarter decisions and become a overall better hunter.

18. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I literally knew about nothing last year when I decided to rifle hunt besides had trail cams out some for amusement and for friends, and hadn't even taken any practice shots in almost 20 years. Since end of that season buying a bow and putting hundreds of hours into reading and learning and scouting and figuring things out, and already several thousand shots on my bow and understanding more about it and the sport and deer. Overall I could almost say going from not having a clue last year to hopefully a solid basis of a hunter this year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

19. squeege44

squeege44 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    my goal is to scout the public archery only zone hard. then hopefully take my first buck with the bow. good luck to all of you with your upcoming seasons.

20. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with Fitz.....I have empty walls and need to fill them before my wife goes to another crafty live laugh love or whatever other stupid saying sign store

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2