Bear Spray or Gun? Both or None?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by scarps23, Mar 19, 2013.

1. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm probably more of the opinion of having a gun with me if needed? Was just talking about this the other day with my friend and just read article about 2 sons saving dad on grizzly bear attack.

Curious as to others ideas on this. Figured some education on it wasn't a bad idea. I've camped in the rocky mountains without either, but I wasn't hunting. The sneaking around in the mountains is what makes me want to have something.

Friend I'm going with has a .357 he is taking. Should I get some bear spray and go with that? We won't always be together, but wasn't sure what others thought.

DISCUSS!

2. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Personally if I'm in Grizzly country I'll pack bear spray, I heard that hitting a charging bear is like hitting a tennis ball bouncing at you. I'm sure many would rather pack heat.

3. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I'm in bear country my .44 mag is always at my side. I won't be relying on pepper spray. I've seen bears eat cans of bear spray. LITERALLY

4. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I forgot to mention when I took fishing trips and camped in the rockies I could always out run the two other people in our group. My one slowest friend mentioned that a lot!! Ha. Probably never have to worry about it, but I like being prepared if needed. Another dang thing to carry.

One of my buddies said he heard of a story where they found a dead bear and it had 6 shots from a .357 in it. They also found the guy that shot him dead.

5. huntography

huntography Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always pack both. Extras clips and spray too for long excursions in the back country.

Rudy

Sent from my camo iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

6. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    While Elk hunting in CO we see alot of black bears and some big cats. Never seen a grizz, although I hear stories of elk hunters seeing them every so often. I carry a pistol about half the time. Mostly because of two legged critters though. Never know what kind of crazies are out there.

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was only hunted in Grizzly country once, my partner and I didnt have anything...cant honestly say we thought put much thought into it beforehand...young and silly maybe but we survived lol

Fishing in AK we had a pair pistol grip shotguns loaded with buck shot....Two of them for the group of 4 of us fishing and two guides. Had several sightings daily throughout the week and few encounters with bears where we had to move..... but we gave up our spots and gave them some room.... no issues really.

8. bnoyle

bnoyle Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've got .357, .41, 44...one of them always makes the walk with me.

The reason I prefer the pistol over bear spray...its a lot cheaper and easier on the mucus membranes to practice with the pistol than it is with the bear spray.

9. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bear spray. Much easier hitting them with that.

10. Van

Van Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always have a gun, everywhere, always.

11. ElkNut1

ElkNut1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Black bear only country .357mag -- Grizz country I'd have both pistol & bear spray on my person.

ElkNut1

12. Bountyhunter

Bountyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The bear spray can't hurt I suppose, but give me a 44 Mag minimum. I have a Ruger Alaskan. Great gun for just such a thing. a 357 is almost worthless against a big bear imo. Load up some 44 Mag rounds with some heavy hard cast bullets. That's what it would take to stop a big bear. Of course there are other calibers that will work too. The bullet itself is the important thing here.

13. ElkNut1

ElkNut1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just so there isn't a misunderstanding with my comment I would not rely on a .357 in grizz country either. I was referring to it with black bears. It does look like when I said I'd take both a firearm & bear spray I was referring to the .357, not a chance, I'd definitely have a larger caliber there. (grin)

ElkNut1

14. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I live/hunt/hike in Grizzly country. I pack neither spray or a revolver, while I own both. I have honestly never felt the need to pack and I've been very close to them on several occasions (10 feet from a black bear a few seasons back).

If I were too I would be packing a minimum of a .357 or 10mm for blackies and a .44 or .454 for Griz.

15. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    I don't carry anything but I've been around black bears for 25+ years. Never yet have I had one attack although they have been known to do so. I've been In grizz country my share elk hunting and have found tracks of them but have never saw one. Anyone who's getting charged by a bear Is going to be a terrible shot trying to point a pistol at one. Good luck with that I say. Anyone's best bet In my opinion Is bear spray. It has a huge wide pattern to It when It leaves the can. Very hard to miss the bear unlike pointing a pistol.

16. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have hunted and filmed black bear here in WI. and never had an attack but some false charges. I carry bear spray when filming. I have been in grizz country and there I carry the spray.
    If you carry spray, practice using it. Unless it is a strong head wind it works. If I were to carry a gun it would be a shotgun with slugs. Just compare ballistics. Try to hit a charging bear with a handgun round.
    Several friends have tried to finish of black bears here while hunting using .357 mag and 45 and the bullets bounced off the head of the bear. These were bear already shot and lieing on the ground.

17. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't agree more.

18. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree but the OP was referring to having something with him while bowhunting. I can't imagine carrying a shotgun would work well when bowhunting elk. I don't carry either where I hunt in Wyoming but bear sightings are rare in that particular area. In grizzly country I would carry both as you can easily do that and why wouldn't you?

19. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Answer me this. Why carry both? When It comes down to decision time (when your getting charged) why think and choose? Too late then.

20. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You realize I'm talking about a handgun and spray; right? Each has its place and a can of spray weighs nothing. In the past when I hunted western Wyoming (don't anymore) and fished the back country of Yellowstone Park, I had a can of spray attached to the front of my back pack strap at chest level. While I couldn't use a gun in the park, the .44 mag was on my hip when hunting outside the park. I doubt having the two would be the cause of my confusion when being charged.