<-----<<- Team GobbleStoppers Official Thread (Team 11) ->>----->

Discussion in '2013 Turkey Hunting Contest' started by Tim Ainsworth, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Alright boys here's our new home for the next couple months. Settle in I have a feeling its going to be a slaughter fest for the Team 11!

Here's the team list just so we know when any riff raff comes wandering in:
    Wesley Lofton
    Jeffacarp
    Tim Ainsworth
    Jdicenhour
    nsimmons

2. Jdicenhour

Jdicenhour Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    2013-03-21 13.36.00.jpg
    I guess I'm ready got the prime impact shooting halfway decent at 20 yards. Really wanting to cut a bird for a flip an break this bow in right lol

3. nsimmons

nsimmons Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Neillsville, WI/ Chippewa Falls, WI/ Spooner, WI
    Nicely done! Make sure you save some arrows for the birds though :)

4. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Nice shooting Jdice! I think its time to stop shooting groups before you go broke...

5. Jdicenhour

Dislikes Received:
    Yep I got some one inch stickers I'm using now an it's one arrow per dot. I'm just glad it didn't take but 3 weeks to get to feeling confident in this bow and probably shooting better than I ever have.

6. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    When's everybody's season!?

Mine is April 17th -22 and I bought an extra tag for May 15- 20th

7. Jdicenhour

Dislikes Received:
    Mine starts April 13th an last like 4 weeks.

8. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are shooting leaps and bounds above 2 months ago. You've come a long way in a short time.

9. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    April 15th for me, Ill be out opening day, and then a couple days every week until season closes. Ive been scouting and have my blind set for now. It may get moved by end of season, got a few different places scouted. Found tons of tracks, but have not been able to locate yet, think im not getting out there early enough, or late enough to catch them going to roost. Im pretty sure they are roosting in my lease, and then heading to the big woods and fields during the day, and the way the tracks look, they walk right in front of my blind in the morning, and then come back into my lease on the opposite side in the evening.

10. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I got April 20th to May 1st to hunt(2nd and 3rd season) Haven't done any scouting at all. I got a lot on the plate right now and just haven't found time. Last year on the first day out we sat the end of a ridge and doubled up on the first morning, hoping the same happens this year!

11. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    Got my magnus bullhead broadheads today. I wanted to give them a try. It was super windy today and it was really affecting their flight. But at least I was getting consistent results. I need to wait for a calm day to make sure they are dialed in. I am shooting really good with my new bow, I have also switched to a thumb release and I have gotten to like it a lot, I didn't know for sure at the beginning if I was going to.

12. Jdicenhour

Dislikes Received:
    What thumb release are you using I switched to one about a year an half ago an it took a little bit but now that's all I would use. I shot the hot shot tempest 4 finger

13. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It opened today for me and runs through may 31. Where am I....at work, and then flying to NH for a buddies bachelor party. I wont be chasing any birds until I get back on April 12. I cant wait to get in the ground blind and see some strutters. Good luck to all!

14. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    I got a Tru Ball Max 4. I really like it and I don't think I will ever switch back. I find myself to be a more consistent shooter.

15. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    Was out testing my different turkey broadheads that I have been thinking about using and I still haven't came to a deciding factor so I might carry both.

100 gr magnus bullhead:

Pros: I like that the turkeys head gives a more definite target with a big red spot out there. Bigger cutting diameter for more room for error in my shot.

Cons: The two days that I have tested it it has been very windy out and this broadhead seems to get affected by the wind pretty easily.

Slick trick 100 gr with a broadhead turkey backer on it:

Pros: I am really accurate with this broadhead. I know if I hit the turkey it will be a done deal as this thing does major damage to my target. Does not get affected by the wind as bad as the magnus bullheads.

Cons: Not quite as easy to locate the target location on the body of the turkey.

I think I am going to just take them both out in the field and decide when the situation comes up depending on the weather.

16. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good review of those heads nsimmons! There's no doubt either of those will put a bird down. I'd like to see the damage when u put a Magnus through the wing notch on Uncle Tom! Good luck this year!

17. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    This might be a dumb question. But do people use the Magnus for body shots too? I am a but worried for the penetration that a body shot would have with the Magnus.

18. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely not a dumb question. I wouldn't recommend taking a body shot with them. The tip of the magnus is very blunt, almost round. The blades are huge in length but thin. I think that unless the turkey was right on top of you penetration would be very poor if not just bounce off. I think it would break the bird's wing and possibly stun the bird just from the impact but I really doubt how fatal a body shot would be. If it were me I wouldn't take a body shot with the Bullhead. Crazy broadhead though, there are some gruesome videos on youtube with these BH's

19. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    That is exactly what I was thinking would happen with it after shooting it at my target a few times. I did not plan on taking a body shot with it. I think it is going to come down to a game day decision to which broad head I am going to use with the weather being the main factor in that decision. Thanks for your input. Next weekend ill be out trying to get my girlfriend her first bird then the weekend after that is my chance.

20. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ill be trying out the NAP spitfire gobbler getters this year. They are made for body shots and are supposed to produce more shock to the bird on impact. See how good they work. Moved my cam today so its aiming where i think the birds are going to the field by my blind, hopefully I can get some strutters on cam. The guy I lease from lives right by the land I leased, he told me he seen 12 out in the front field yesterday. I'm set up in the back field so I may be moving, just depends on where they come to the front field from. I'm definitely ready to get back out hunting.